how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Axdyne

join:2008-06-23
Atlanta, GA

[Info] seeking FIOS in Buckhead

Just moved into the Buckhead area, looking to find a FIOS or comparable fiber solution for high-speed internet. Verizon does not offer anything in the area I'm aware of, does anyone have any experience to share?

Thanks
~ax

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
Welcome to Atlanta. I'm afraid I have bad news for you, Verizon is not here and as such FIOS will never be here. Bellsouth/AT&T used to offer a DSL type of product called IFITL but it topped out at 1.5 meg speeds, something easily bested by almost every other option out there now. Plus they don't offer it anymore for new accounts and would probably like to get the people that are currently on it off of it. It worked on a similar principal to FIOS though but they did a central node for about 5 or so people and ran copper from it, as opposed to running optics right to the house and having the converter there.

As for other options, I'm not sure any exist here. Cable is a HFC setup so while they use fiber it's not FIOS like. DSL is mostly copper but in remote areas where there is an RT they use fiber to feed it but there it is still like cable. Some small ISP's, in particular towns are running their own fiber and some may be doing FIOS like FTTH deployments but those are few and far between and I don't know of any here.

Are you just wanting the faster speeds? If you are and you can pay for it, Comcast and AT&T will give you a fiber connection but you may need an EMT on site when they give you the price lol. Those kind of fiber connections are for businesses though and are priced accordingly to their usage needs and so forth. I'm sorry to say but I just don't think you will find a FIOS like residential service in Atlanta yet.

Axdyne

Atlanta, GA
reply to Axdyne
Thanks for the rapid response. Yeah, more speed would be ideal, but primarily I want to be able to run my own servers as a backup to my colo (block of 5 static IPs, no port restrictions)...typically comcast/att prohibit that in their terms of service. I know Verizon's offerings come in around $150/month, which would be acceptable, but not the $1500 bellsouth is going to want for comparable service...guess I'm SOL for now.

~ax

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
You can get the /29 static IP range and no restrictions by going to the business side of Comcast/AT&T. Or you could get a T1 but that would be the better choice if you did all your own hosting not just as a backup to the colo. Lets see if this link works: »www.comcast.com/corporate/busine···entPromo and here is the Bellsouth option: »smallbusiness.bellsouth.com/internet.html. For $150 a month you should be able to get the top of the line service from either provider. You should also be able to get Comcast without a contract if you pay the install fee (AFAIK they don't allow self-install on business yet) but DSL still has the 2-year contract IIRC.

Axdyne

Atlanta, GA
reply to Axdyne
great info, thanks again