Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JGROCKY
Premium
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON

The Bell Disclosure!

Here it is boys and girls... Have fun dissecting it!
--
TSI Rocky - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2

Igor! Prepare the lab!

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to JGROCKY

The numbers... Can I be the first one to say... WTF? Congestion?
--
,,!,,('-'),,!,,

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5

said by HiVolt:

Seriously WTF?? How can the CRTC still be investigating. This is an open and shut case, there cannot be any congestion.
--
"If bullshit was money this guy would be richer that Bill Gates." - quote by olebiker on Mirko Bibic

Jman99

join:2007-04-24
Etobicoke, ON
reply to JGROCKY

laughable.

JGROCKY
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to mlerner

Definitely an interesting table... no doubt!
--

PXA
Tech Ninja
Premium
join:2008-04-02
Ottawa, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

This is seriously what they're basing their case on? If this doesn't prove they're being anti-competitive, I don't know what will. Though undeniable proof doesn't guarantee anything when the CRTC is involved.
--
Parallax Abstraction,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
www.pxa.ca

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to JGROCKY

After a close examination it does say percent of congested links (out of several thousand) but the critical threshold would probably be around 10%. Taking the highest percent before DPI which is 6.6%, that's still not high and if it's that bad it would not have been that expensive to upgrade those links.
--
"If bullshit was money this guy would be richer that Bill Gates." - quote by olebiker on Mirko Bibic

shopkins

join:2008-05-23
L4N8J7
reply to JGROCKY

From what I read Bell basically shows that their current capacity is nearly 5X the current demand and they are expanding their capacity.

I understand peak vs off times, but I am not buying their arguments.

Topher92

join:2008-06-07
Mississauga, ON
reply to JGROCKY

All of the percentages are lower! I'd hate to see what they would claim if the percentages actually went up slightly!

Now we need a class action lawsuit against Bell for their illegal practices. Then institute a regulatory committee to oversee the industry to ensure these kinds of things don't happen again. Then the CRTC should split Bell into two separate companies, one for the hardware, and one for the services, that way the "last mile" is out of their hands, since they've proven they can't be trusted with it. Failing that, all of the small ISPs should band together and get a large backer to bring fibre lines to Canada and watch Bell and Rogers play catch up. We've been shafted for far too long by this duopoly!

Bellundo

@teksavvy.com
reply to JGROCKY

That was to be expected seeing most people have a 60 gigabyte a month cap.

JGROCKY
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to Topher92

I'm curious as to what the throughput is on those Ellacoya boxes.... Can they go more than 1,000Mbps (or even that fast)? Anyone?
--

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

said by JGROCKY:

I'm curious as to what the throughput is on those Ellacoya boxes.... Can they go more than 1,000Mbps (or even that fast)? Anyone?
I thought I read that the newer models can handle as much as 750 Mbps but Bell has also installed several in each city.
--

Mantiz

Markham, ON
reply to JGROCKY

From Arbor's website
»www.arbornetworks.com/en/ellacoy···ogy.html

Arbor Ellacoya e30:
Support up to 64,000 subscribers at 4 Gbps speed.

Arbor Ellacoya e100:
Support up to 500,000 subscribers at 20 Gbps speed.

JGROCKY
Premium
Chatham, ON

said by Mantiz:

From Arbor's website

Arbor Ellacoya e30:

Arbor Ellacoya e100:
Any price tags on these?
--

mr_hexen

join:2007-08-02
Brampton, ON
reply to mlerner

said by mlerner:

After a close examination it does say percent of congested links (out of several thousand) but the critical threshold would probably be around 10%. Taking the highest percent before DPI which is 6.6%, that's still not high and if it's that bad it would not have been that expensive to upgrade those links.
not to mention the CRITERIA for getting ito that count of "congested links".

here are the utilization limits for congested as per Bell Canada:

DS-3 61%, OC-3 84%, OC-12 and OC-48 90%.

so, for one of those links to be considered "congested" and added to that low % graph the following has to occur (using DS-3 links as an example).

Over a 14 day period, utilization measurements are taken every 15 minutes. (snap shot of usage at that time). the limit of 61% must be exceeded atleast ONCE on 5 seperate days over that 14 day period.

what that means is that for the total UP TIME of a link over that 14 days (in minutes) is 20,160 minutes (24hrs x 60min x 14 days). The link must only be above 61% for a TOTAL 75 of those minutes to be considered "congested", or 0.37% of it's available time. Lets also not forget that there could be a sudden spike of usage right at that 15 minute mark and then die down, but i'll assume the entire 15 minute interval is at that level for simplicity, lol.

UHMM... OK.

Mantiz

Markham, ON
reply to JGROCKY

said by JGROCKY:

said by Mantiz:

From Arbor's website

Arbor Ellacoya e30:

Arbor Ellacoya e100:
Any price tags on these?
I imagine the pricing is secret. Consumers would likely get upset seeing their ISP's spending money to cripple their service>

JGROCKY
Premium
Chatham, ON

All of our DSL is over AGAS, which is over Ethernet... I'm reading through this... Did I miss any of the disclosures on Ethernet Statistics? Don't think I see any...
--

andyb
Premium
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario
kudos:1

Half the disclosure is still missing.Filed in confidence again.

mr_hexen

join:2007-08-02
Brampton, ON

said by andyb:

Half the disclosure is still missing.Filed in confidence again.
they only disclosed the information requested by the CRTC.

what they did was take the public document that had all the confidentiality "#" and replaced those with data that was requested, which is why some appears to be kept secret.

Mirko five_perct

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Hivolt, per the publicly filed report:

"While these numbers may seem low to the average lay person, they are significant to network traffic engineers".

k?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Mirko five_perct :

"While these numbers may seem low to the average lay person, they are significant to network traffic engineers".

k?
I read that... I don't buy it.

k?
--
,,!,,('-'),,!,,

JGROCKY
Premium
Chatham, ON

Still begs the question of the ethernet side... Bell's network is being converted to it and most of their investments have gone to it.
--

Mirko five_perct

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

said by Mirko five_perct :

k?
I read that... I don't buy it.

k?
ditto... K!

sibisties8

join:2002-10-19
Montreal, QC

I love the last graph that shows "cell loss" ! That's not caused by congestion, it's their DPI boxes that are dropping packets !

JGROCKY
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Just realised... How can they put a "total" to those values... They don't relate... They all have different thresholds and mechanisms to deal with packet-loss or load. They'd need to talk on a case by case, not on a global... Some of this is on a customer to customer issue other portions are on a more aggregated level....
--

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

said by JGROCKY:

said by HiVolt:

Just realised... How can they put a "total" to those values... They don't relate... They all have different thresholds and mechanisms to deal with packet-loss or load. They'd need to talk on a case by case, not on a global... Some of this is on a customer to customer issue other portions are on a more aggregated level....
Excellent points, you should make sure these points are relayed in CAIP's reply.
--

Spike
Premium
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON
reply to JGROCKY

Just what do they mean by the Backbone percentages? Are they referring to the internet backbone uplinks? If so these wouldn't even apply to wholesaler AGAS.

zinc
Premium
join:2004-02-17
Kitchener, ON

They're referring to the links in their backbone aggregation network. (i.e. the network where the BAS links terminate and connects to ISPs)

JGROCKY
Premium
Chatham, ON

said by zinc:

They're referring to the links in their backbone aggregation network. (i.e. the network where the BAS links terminate and connects to ISPs)
LOL.. if that's the case, we're paying to have those dedicated (AHSSPI).
--