uniqs

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter to tao

to tao

Re: System using 100% CPU

Yes, always. The reason that I ran Ccleaner in the first place was because "System" was consuming 99% of the CPU. That would be why the system was running very slowly, as I stated in my OP. So restoring the registry to a point where I had 100% CPU usage would be unproductive. We determined later in the thread that communication with the USB controller was the cause. I tried reinstalling the device, but the system would freeze when I tried to uninstall it in the device manager. I had to disable it in the BIOS. As soon as I enable it, the problem returns. I tried using system restore to take the system to a point previous to when the issue started, but that made no difference. After all this, I suspect I have a H/W problem. The only other thing, I can think of, that I'd like to try, is to delete the USB drivers, and reinstall them, but I don't know how.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

This is quoted from a Dell help site, I believe. I don't have the link, I just copy & pasted this once to keep for my own reference:

---------------------------------------
USB Emulation:

USB Emulation determines whether the system basic input/output system (BIOS)
controls Universal Serial Bus (USB) keyboards and mice. When On is selected, the system BIOS
controls USB keyboards and mice until a USB driver is loaded by the operating system. When Off is selected (the default), the system BIOS does not control USB keyboards and mice, though they function during the boot routine.
Set USB Emulation to Off if you are using a PS/2-compatible keyboard and mouse.
---------------------------------------

Don't know if that's of any help to you or not.

bcastner
MVM
join:2002-09-25
Chevy Chase, MD

1 edit

bcastner to Rexter

MVM

to Rexter
There should be no reason to delete the existing USB drivers in place. They can be fully replaced with the newest versions.

I provide complete links to anyone needing to rebuild the USB Stack and other considerations, here:
»aumha.net/viewtopic.php? ··· &t=28888

Note the following from that article:

Install in this order:

USB Reliability Hotfix -- (Brand new driver set for USB)
»support.microsoft.com/?k ··· d=918005

USB Driver Performance Update (3/6/2008)
»www.microsoft.com/downlo ··· yLang=en

If the Hotfixes are not applicable, you will be told.

Best regards,
Bill Castner

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Lansing, MI

tao

Premium Member

Damn fine USB article Bill. I have noticed this on XP, but it did not matter the way I use my system.

I would assume that disabling USB in the BIOS would allow you to delete the current set of drivers. Just to deal with the politics of MS driver replacement... MS programmers have this neat little trick where they simply check the date of the file, or the version of a file, not the integrity of of the file, when parsing through update decision loops. But I will be damned if the file search function isn't robust. So when I write delete, you probably real should rename them. Something like usbhub.TAO would make it easy to find them later and the system won't be able to find them now.

My USB files and versions:

General Purpose USB Hub
usbhub.sys 5.1.2600.0

Intel USB devices - generic
usbhub.sys 5.1.2600.0
usbport.sys 5.1.2180
usbuhci.sys 5.1.2180
usbui.sys 5.1.2180

The Enhanced Intel Controller adds:
hccoin.sys 5.1.2180

USB Root Hub

usbd.sys 5.1.2600
usbhub.sys 5.1.2180

This is my system running XP Pro SP2 with an unknown hotfix level. YMMWV

Anyway, after you delete the files and re enable USB in the BIOS you will know the answer. Either your system will still freeze, or windows will attempt to find the USB drivers you deleted and should prompt you for a location we it doesn't find them. It is my sense based on many years of hacking computers, that if you have a hardware issue, you will not get to the point of installing the driver software, but you might.

I just see now that this is a Microsoft Forum post. Better answers might be found in the hardware help forum: »Computer Hardware Help