how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cjhorh

join:2002-01-16
Worcester, MA

Outage in Worcester, Mass.

TV and internet are both down in my section of Worcester. It's impossible to get through to Charter on the phone (which fortunately isn't on Charter phone service). I'm sending this through a neighbor's DSL-connected access point.

SMAN

join:2007-06-27
Worcester, MA

yeah the headend went down and took the entire system offline. It's back up now. I'm sure this will be interesting to find out what happened tomorrow.

Eyeballs
Premium
join:2000-04-25
Worcester, MA

1 edit

They had an accidental activation of their fire suppression system at their Higgins St. office here in the city. When the oxygen dispersion gas was released, all the electronics shut down.
--
Team Discovery--BBR Team Helix--Cuz I Care!!

scoosdad

join:2007-04-28
Worcester, MA

2 edits

said by Eyeballs:

They had an accidental activation of their fire suppression system at their Higgins St. office here in the city. When the oxygen dispersion gas was released, all the electronics shut down.
I know they feed a local channel or two out of the Higgins St. office but I find it hard to imagine that every channel to the city of Worcester passes through that location. More likely everything would pass through the office tower on Park Avenue where Worcester used to get its signal via microwave from the regional headend out in Oxford, rather than Higgins St. way up on the north end of the city. Are you sure the failure wasn't at the location on Park Ave.?

On the other hand, maybe the failure was caused by Charter uninstalling the NebuAd opt-out cookies from 100,000 computers in the Worcester area simultaneously.

SMAN

Worcester, MA

Yeah this didn't bring down just cable, it brought down everything, cable, internet, and phone! Even the call center got flodded offline from so many people reporting the outage.

Eyeballs
Premium
join:2000-04-25
Worcester, MA
reply to scoosdad

Unless it was a huge coincidence. Everything went out, then the call for the fire alarm on Higgins st. came in in one of the equipment rooms a minute or two later.
--
Team Discovery--BBR Team Helix--Cuz I Care!!

SMAN

Worcester, MA

The activation of the fire supression system causes the power supply sustem to turn off. So until they could de-activate the system, all the hardware was off.