uniqs
Capharnaum
join:2006-06-19
Montreal, QC

Capharnaum to sbrook

to sbrook

Re: The Bell Disclosure!

said by sbrook:

Well, fortunately a degree and experience in Computers, Broadcast Television Engineering, and Communications give me enough knowledge to know that the upstream is very limited and that P2P from just a handful of users on a cable segment can bring that segment to its knees. Moreover, a review of these forums will reveal that at least for Rogers, implementing first DOCSIS and then throttling, the number of performance related complaints has significantly decreased.
Why not just throttle the upstream then?

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

said by Capharnaum:

]Why not just throttle the upstream then?
The current technology throttles the downstream as collateral damage to the upstream throttling. The only way to dynamically throttle the upstream is to reset the modem upstream speed which slows EVERYTHING on the upstream down and will create modem resets every time they turn it on. In other words, it's not a seamless change.

Arbalister
join:2007-11-24
St Catharines, ON

Arbalister

If I remember correctly, Bell's original submission stated that they took sample data from 20 of the most congested sites ... because they only had 20 demon boxes.

So...

The single worst point in that table is DSLAM figures for Feb 08, at 8.2% What does that really represent? 8.2% of 20 sample sites is...1.64 DSLAMs.

Rounding upwards, they're telling us that *TWO* DSLAMs wer congested in Feb.

Mr 5percent
@mc.videotron.ca

Mr 5percent

Anon

Correct. Bell's original data was based on one month (april I believe) and included EVERYTHING over the network; dial-up, probably cell data xfers, basic light speeds, and anything using the IP network most likely like digital phone.

This in turn lowered their "average" user B/W usage to about 10-gigs. (I believe they claimed most users use under 10-gigs per month and anyone using over 59-gigs is a 5% bandwidth hog who made the throttle necessary)

5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5%

Angelo
The Network Guy
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18

Angelo

Premium Member

said by Mr 5percent :

Correct. Bell's original data was based on one month (april I believe) and included EVERYTHING over the network; dial-up, probably cell data xfers, basic light speeds, and anything using the IP network most likely like digital phone.

This in turn lowered their "average" user B/W usage to about 10-gigs. (I believe they claimed most users use under 10-gigs per month and anyone using over 59-gigs is a 5% bandwidth hog who made the throttle necessary)

5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5% 5%
that game... won't fly

you need to compare apple's to apple's

i think it's time to demand more info and a resubmittion of the current one from bell with full data... and the crtc must remind as we all know how well Bell listens...

these statics they released are selective and give no real information as stated in the past too much is missing.