uniqs

jlhugh
Premium Member
join:2001-09-07
Cedar Creek, TX

jlhugh to sempergoofy

Premium Member

to sempergoofy

Re: Somethings wrong with my new driveway!

i bet mowing the grass is fun too. i hope nobody would have bought those houses are looking at them. it looks like they bought a lot and built a house and that is what they got.

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to deltat2000

to deltat2000

Makes you wonder if perhaps it is in a flood plain, and that was the only way they were permitted to build...

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to deltat2000

Premium Member

to deltat2000
Are you kidding me? They expect you to have a slope that strong? Unfortunately it looks like the garage is simply too close to the street..... Someone screwed up royally.

The only thing I can think of is dig the garage down deep and have steps inside the garage up into the house.

With that grade, getting vehicles in and out of the garage *safely* will be a real pain.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to deltat2000

Premium Member

to deltat2000
I think it would be impossible to get my Honda or Taurus in or out of the garage without major undercarriage damage.

TODarling
U.S. Army Retired
Premium Member
join:2004-11-27
Fort Smith, AR

TODarling to deltat2000

Premium Member

to deltat2000
I sure would have liked to watch them pour that driveway. Got to be photoshopped.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

2 edits

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by TODarling:

I sure would have liked to watch them pour that driveway. Got to be photoshopped.
not an issuse if it's thick

or an premolded slab
LeeWL
join:2002-11-10
Morrisville, NC

LeeWL

said by Anonymous_:

said by TODarling:

not an issuse if it's thick

or an premolded slab
It is not an issue even when poured in place, whihc that has to be. It is done all the time. Just use a concrete mix that is a little stiffer than usual and start at the top. (otherwise it will slide down into the rest of what is there)

CyberSultan
Premium Member
join:2006-07-20

CyberSultan to deltat2000

Premium Member

to deltat2000
That driveway's crazy!

ninjatutle
Premium
join:2006-01-02
San Ramon, CA

ninjatutle to deltat2000

to deltat2000
If this is real, where is the photo of the completed project? This photo is over 3 years old. Someone by now must have snapped one. Or maybe even a street name. We could possibly use google street view.
porterm
Premium Member
join:2007-02-24
Saint Louis, MO

porterm to deltat2000

Premium Member

to deltat2000
actually,im wondering how much the inspector got paid to sign off on these monstrosities. these cant be up to code!

Lone Wolf
Retired
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
USA

Lone Wolf to ninjatutle

Premium Member

to ninjatutle
said by ninjatutle:

If this is real, where is the photo of the completed project? This photo is over 3 years old. Someone by now must have snapped one. Or maybe even a street name. We could possibly use google street view.
Here's a starting point if you want to try to find it with street view, »www.kogarah.nsw.gov.au/w ··· tion.asp.

Good luck.

koolman2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

koolman2 to deltat2000

Premium Member

to deltat2000
There are at least four driveways at least as steep as those in my neighborhood, and plenty in the city. They aren't a problem, even in winter, as long as you take care of the ice.
Expand your moderator at work

Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek to koolman2

Premium Member

to koolman2

Re: Somethings wrong with my new driveway!

The only problem I have is getting a car on that driveway. You need to have oversized truck.
Why couldn't they just level closer to ground, or just dig in for garage?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

Click for full size
FTW
maxpower90
join:2006-10-09
Providence, RI

maxpower90

I bet they want to mow the grass but they can't get the mower up the driveway.

VR38DETT
Turbocharger X2
join:2002-10-24
Vancouver, BC

1 edit

1 recommendation

VR38DETT to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

FTW
The realtor says, "this house has its garage in the second floor. To park your car, simply launch your car over that slab over there. Simple."

james16
join:2001-02-26

james16 to deltat2000

to deltat2000
I zoomed in and saw that the so called photograph is in fact made up of a large number of pixels. In my expert opinion this means it has been photoshopped.

evilghost
Premium Member
join:2003-11-22
Springville, AL

evilghost

Premium Member

said by james16:

I zoomed in and saw that the so called photograph is in fact made up of a large number of pixels. In my expert opinion this means it has been photoshopped.
I too noticed mipmap interpolation in sector 7, clearly indicating the photo had been photoshopped.
08034016 (banned)
Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA

2 edits

08034016 (banned) to deltat2000

to deltat2000
This is to funny read this

»findarticles.com/p/artic ··· ody;col1

Heres the houses to the authors post
»leenks.com/gallery499.htm

Swingerhead
Premium Member
join:2004-04-06
Richmond, VA

Swingerhead to maxpower90

Premium Member

to maxpower90
There are some homes like that here in Richmond(Chesterfield) Virginia. The other side of the street is just the opposite, downward slopes that are impossible to park on.

mattmag

NW Illinois

3 recommendations

mattmag to james16

to james16
said by james16:

OK, please educate the uneducated here; What digital photograph *isn't* made up of a large number of pixels?

fatness
subtle

join:2000-11-17
fishing

1 edit

fatness to deltat2000

to deltat2000
I've seen several built like that around here. The problem comes from setting the driveway at the maximum allowable slope and figuring the slope all the way from the curb to the front of the garage. Doing that neglects the flatter grade of the driveway across the sidewalk, and the need for an area in front of the garage for the driveway to flatten out for the approach to the entrance. Say the maximum allowable grade is 15% and the house is 40 feet from the curb. Setting the garage grade 6 feet above the curb grade 'seems' to work if you don't take the level areas into account. The house and garage get built at that elevation, the road is already in, and suddenly the builder discovers that they've lost 10 feet of driveway length from curb to back of walk, 5 feet of fairly level area in front of the garage, and they need the driveway to climb 5 feet or so in 25 feet. Ha.

In the photo the level area in front of the garage was eliminated, to keep the driveway slope slightly less steep. And the car will scrape its undercarriage at the garage entrance, and will bang bumpers at the sidewalk.

Once the house and road are built at those elevations, it's not a problem with a good solution. The garage floor needs to be lower, probably several feet. That's pretty costly for a house that's mostly built.

Another problem that happens is the reverse of this, where the slope is downhill from the road to the house. Once in awhile a builder forgets to have the driveway level out, tilt slightly to one side, and begin going uphill into the garage. When this is forgotten the water runs off the street, down the drive, and into the garage. I actually saw photos of a house near here get the back wall of their garage blown out by water that way.

The ground around the houses in the picture looks very built-up. It may be raised above a flood plain level, although that would leave the road under water in a flood so I doubt that's the case. I'm thinking a builder sold houses with walkout basements, and found out later (rather than knowing up front as they should have) that the lots were not suited for walkouts in the rear.

BennyCrane
@covad.net

BennyCrane to deltat2000

Anon

to deltat2000
I saw those pictures on the internet about 8 years ago, I saved them then. Why ?
In real life many houses built in Atlanta GA look similar, including the driveways.

james16

james16 to mattmag

to mattmag
said by mattmag:

OK, please educate the uneducated here; What digital photograph *isn't* made up of a large number of pixels?
lol, priceless.

I think your joke-o-meter is broken.

mattmag

NW Illinois

1 edit

mattmag

said by james16:

lol, priceless.
If you're going to *post* like an expert, at least put in a smiley so us dumb assess will know you're just a troll guy making fun of the real trolls...

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to fatness

Premium Member

to fatness
You're stupid if you think that grounds built up! That dealing with a hill.
61999674 (banned)
Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
join:2000-09-02
Here

61999674 (banned) to deltat2000

to deltat2000
I have a comment about the house design .. What drugs were house designers on when they thought having the garage as the focal point of the house was a good idea ??? I see a lot of this.

james16

1 recommendation

james16 to mattmag

to mattmag
So I'm a troll for making fun of the "experts" who think everything is "shopped"?

I could see your point if I posted with terms like "pixelation" and "colour curves", but saying that the picture was made out of pixels was about as silly and obvious as I could get!

Just say you were tired when you read it and laugh.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to 61999674

Premium Member

to 61999674
I read the other things and it sounds like a great home.

Beautiful media center and 3 car garage, neat view.

That driveway though is a killer.