spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Prodeje79

join:2005-06-24
Pickerington, OH

[TWC] Recommend Newsgroup Usenet Providers Cheap Unlimited FAST!

OK OK so we all know about this now:
»[TWC] Road Runner Newsgroups Discontinued

Let's sticky a thread (perhaps this one) to provide recommendations and the best bang for the buck for unlimited pay per month newsgroup services! Please no other posts here!

»www.newsgroupdirect.com/ 20% off for life
unlimited $19.95 normal => $15.96 month
20% Discounts For Time Warner, Verizon
Attention Time Warner, Verizon, and Sprint customers. We will give you a 20% lifetime discount if you convert your usenet service to NewsgroupDirect. Just enter coupon code ngd09348 at checkout to receive your lifetime discount.

»www.giganews.com/ top notch, but too much money!!!

I googled around etc etc.... way too many out there....
This should be the ultimate place to post this!

So what is the best deal for unlimited high speed newsgroups thru a paid service provider?????

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5

Re: [TWC] Recommend Newsgroup Usenet Providers Cheap Unlimited F

»www.newshosting.com/en/index.php

I use the unlimited for 14.95 and have been with them for over 4 years and never had a single problem that I can recall.

Beachie
Stranded in paradise

join:2001-07-12
St. Pete, FL
kudos:2
said by kingdome74:

»www.newshosting.com/en/index.php

I use the unlimited for 14.95 and have been with them for over 4 years and never had a single problem that I can recall.
Same here, rock solid and fast for 5 years now.

Ky Nutcase

join:2003-03-03
Morganfield, KY
reply to Prodeje79
»blocknews.net/

They have a deal 3 month UNLIMITED for $30.00 then $42.00 a quarter. This seems like the best I have found yet with unlimited.

wkpower

join:2001-11-08
New York, NY
how good is blocknews.net? are they reliable?

jduffy
Premium
join:2006-08-20
Cincinnati, OH
reply to Prodeje79
teranews.com

$3.95 one time sign up fee and you get 50MBs of downloads per day. Fine for up to moderate users and virtually free.
--
Atheists swear there is no Heaven, but pray there isn't a Hell.

jjz

join:2002-11-24
Los Angeles, CA
This site seems to give good reviews: »www.newsgroupservers.net/

Ky Nutcase

join:2003-03-03
Morganfield, KY
reply to wkpower
said by wkpower:

how good is blocknews.net? are they reliable?

So far, I have has 1 issues, a server problem that was resolved within a few hours, otherwise, its great, faster response that TW had.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Prodeje79
»www.usenetserver.com

$15/mo unlimited
$12/mo in 3 month increments

I've had them for years, and been very happy with em. 99+ day retention on most of their stuff

Buy a backup block account from »news.astraweb.com for $25 and get 100GB backup with 120+ day retention.

Those 2 together are a pretty unbeatable package, imo.
--
"What makes us omniscient? Have we a record of omniscience? ...If we can't persuade nations with comparable values of the merit of our cause, we'd better reexamine our reasoning."
-United States Secretary of Defense (1961-1968) Robert S. McNamara

PeterDLai

join:2003-07-26
San Diego, CA

2 edits
reply to Prodeje79
I think one of the best deals for us Road Runner users is from Ngroups.NET, a sister company to Usenet-News (which I have used for block accounts and have had no problems whatsoever).

Quarterly unmetered
RoadRunner SPECIAL
Limited time until July 31!

You MUST sign up using your
rr.com e-mail address to take
advantage of this offer.
Offer not valid for users who
had an active Ngroups.NET
account on 6/23/2008.

$29.99/quarter
(less than $10/month!!)

ROADRUNNER SPECIAL!!!!
Recurring subscription, unlimited downloads, 12 connections,
for ONLY $29.99 per Quarter
for as long as you keep the subscription!

sidewinder1

join:2008-06-24
reply to Prodeje79

Free usenet for Brighthouse

»www.newshosting.com/bhn-en/

Beginning Monday, June 23, 2008

Newshosting is excited to offer Bright House Networks High Speed Internet customers access to Newshosting newsgroups at no additional charge. This complimentary service is only available from your home Bright House Networks Road Runner connection. Newshosting account creation and login information is NOT needed for Bright House Networks customers unless you purchase a premium service from Newshosting. After you have agreed to the Terms of Service you will be provided with a new newsgroup server name which you can then enter into your newsgroup application (be it Outlook Express or other).

Newshosting is your premier Usenet newsgroup provider with retention and completion rates among the highest in the industry, allowing fast and reliable access to over 60,000 newsgroups from our servers located in the United States and Europe. Usenet is the world's most comprehensive online message base with newsgroups containing both text and binary content. If you're new to Usenet, check out Usenet Learning Center and discover all the Usenet has to offer.

Phil
Rojo Sol
Premium
join:2001-06-11
Downers Grove, IL

1 recommendation

reply to wkpower

I've been using Blocknews.net since December with only one or two hiccups. I get fairly consistent download speeds of about 16Mbps.

hakujin

join:2004-02-19
Chicago, IL

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Prodeje79
IMO, values to look for in choice of binary providers are:

a. retention
b. completion rate
c. transfer rate and connections

*SSL (REQ for some, I think it's redundant)

Power users shouldn't even entertain a free binary provider because they are a joke (afaik) in a,b, and c.

Here's a good review site:
»www.anchordudes.com/

Here's another:
»www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-dea···?start=0

Easynews, Giganews, and Newshosting have in the past been good (as well as a couple of metered services one just assume forget).

Easynews price for performance sucks as retention is lower, unless you utilize their craptacular GUI. Giganews has the best retention in the business at 200+ days but they are steep. Newshosting is the best middle ground. Competitive unlimited @ $15, great retention @ 80-100 days, and usually always complete for me.

Things to live by:
*If you need something older, use torrent.
*If you only need text groups, you're not affected as you can use Google Groups or a host of other news servers, free of charge.
*If you think any other ISP is going to give you unlimited binary, guess again

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Cleveland, OH

1 edit
reply to Prodeje79
AstraWeb Usenet

»news.astraweb.com/

AstraWeb is NOT a reseller (Highwinds). They are an independent usenet provider.

3 months for $39 = $13 a month, unlimited, Free SSL

Retention: 128+ Days across ALL groups
- Retention is being upgraded. Keep watching it rise!

Completion: 99%+

Connections: 20 connections (Unlimited Plan)
50 connections (Pay-by-download Plan)

Servers:United States (us.news.astraweb.com)
Europe: (europe.news.astraweb.com)
SSL: (secure.news.astraweb.com)
------------------
Pay-by-download plan:

Non expiring block accounts: 110 gigs for $25

Network: Level 3
Tiscali
Cogent

Excellent Price - Best Value for Money Usenet
Anonymity - No logs are kept, Anonymous Group Requests, Anonymous Posting
Uncensored News - No Discussions are Censored
SSL Enabled - SSL Available now on ALL accounts. No extra charges.
Completion - High number of peers. 99%+ completion
Speed - Multiple Links to High Quality Providers
Connections - 20 Simultaneous Connections
Retention - Long retention, always increasing.
Posting Propagation - Well connected peers ensure excellent propagation of posts
US & EU Farms - Serverfarms in the US and EU

--
Dr. Web + BOCLEAN: Anti-Malware + Router/SPI

teranews

@rr.com
reply to jduffy
Sure, $3.95 one time setup fee is reasonable and 50MB/day is more than sufficient for me. But, is it working?
Expand your moderator at work

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Prodeje79

Tip for those who have EarthLink (even dial-up accounts like Experience) can use its newsgroup service that uses Giganews (used to be SuperNews and internal). In fact, you can log into it from any ISPs.

However, it uses 2 connections at most, no SSL, and speed is random (fast or slow). That is what I noticed.

aelfwyne

join:2004-01-28
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US

1 edit
reply to tiger72
I second UsenetServer.com.

$14.95 for unlimited usenet.
$3 for 3 days if you want to trial it or whatever.

You'd think you would get better service paying more to a bigger name, but you do not. UsenetServer.com has awesome retention and is very fast.

Also, you are not tied to buying by the quarter like you are on some of the others listed.

hakujin

Chicago, IL
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

Tip for those who have EarthLink (even dial-up accounts like Experience) can use its newsgroup service that uses Giganews (used to be SuperNews and internal).
It's capped at 5GB a month right? I've been thinking of switching over to EL. TWC would still provide the equipment and connection, but I'd pay EL.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by hakujin:

said by antdude:

Tip for those who have EarthLink (even dial-up accounts like Experience) can use its newsgroup service that uses Giganews (used to be SuperNews and internal).
It's capped at 5GB a month right? I've been thinking of switching over to EL. TWC would still provide the equipment and connection, but I'd pay EL.
From what I read and heard even from ELN's LiveChat, there are no caps.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Prodeje79
Not a heavy newsgroup user myself. Those block accounts from newsgroupdirect look interesting. A 50gig block should last me for a few months at least. Wonder if you renew they still would honor the 20% discount. Add kind of implies that they would.

Anybody else use them? One the links above talked about them as a reseller but mentions questionable reliability.

hakujin

Chicago, IL

1 edit
reply to antdude
I'm astonished LiveChat even knew what a newsgroup was, lol.

Taken from the earthlink website:

EarthLink Newsgroups FAQ

In order to make our News service fair to all users, EarthLink does enforce download limits on its Usenet service. The limit is 5GB during the last 30 days. Please note that "Headers" and articles count towards the limit.

Unlike other services, we do not set limits based on calendar months. If you were to download 5GB on January 29th, you would be considered over quota until 30 days from then, or February 28th. Users that have not downloaded 5GB are able to interact with the server without any limits, while users that exceed the 5GB quota in their last 30 days of usage are rate-limited, or throttled, to 64 kilobits per second.

Ref:
»kb.earthlink.net/case.asp?article=4459#q1

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by hakujin:

I'm astonished LiveChat even knew what a newsgroup was, lol.

Taken from the earthlink website:

EarthLink Newsgroups FAQ

In order to make our News service fair to all users, EarthLink does enforce download limits on its Usenet service. The limit is 5GB during the last 30 days. Please note that "Headers" and articles count towards the limit.

Unlike other services, we do not set limits based on calendar months. If you were to download 5GB on January 29th, you would be considered over quota until 30 days from then, or February 28th. Users that have not downloaded 5GB are able to interact with the server without any limits, while users that exceed the 5GB quota in their last 30 days of usage are rate-limited, or throttled, to 64 kilobits per second.

Ref:
»kb.earthlink.net/case.asp?article=4459#q1
See "Note: This does not affect dialup users.". I am using my dial-up account (ELN e-mail address and its password) to log in. I also went over 8.3 GB over the weekend.

hakujin

Chicago, IL

4 edits
Does not affect dial-up for obvious reasons I guess. It won't be long before they see this loophole and close it.

I've seen mention of this is in fw too, whereby folks are signing up w/ the dial-up for the newsgroups only. $10 a month for 3 months seems decent for unlmited ng. $25 a month thereafter sounds self defeating.

I think I'll steer clear of the promo (which would save a paltry 10-15 dollars vs. unlmited monthly elsewhere) if it means I won't be considered a new subscriber as I'd like to get in on the $30 for 6 mo HSI when my TWC promo expires (should they not re-extend the promo). Then again, EL may extend both promos (i.e. dial up and HSI discounts).

Newsgroup direct block is looking tempting as well... decisions, decisions.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
said by hakujin:

Does not affect dial-up for obvious reasons I guess. It won't be long before they see this loophole and close it.

I've seen mention of this is in fw too, whereby folks are signing up w/ the dial-up for the newsgroups only. $10 a month for 3 months seems decent for unlmited ng. $25 a month thereafter sounds self defeating.
Yeah, that will be the time to subscribe to a NSP like EasyNews. However, note that ELN's GigaNews can be slow and only two maximum connections. So, it is actually worse than what RR's had IMO.

EasyNews sounds interesting because it can carry over unused download datas every month, easy to get more by doing surveys, etc. Here's what I researched (as of two weeks ago) as my two top picks before I discovered EarthLink's news server access since I am a dial-up user:

*EasyNews:
Cancel before one week/1 GB to get a full refund.
Classic: $9.98 for 20 Gigabytes/30 days (which ever comes first; 50 days of retention)
Plus: $14.97 for 30 Gigabytes/30 days (which one is first); 100 days of retention)
Loyalty bonus per year (1 or 2 GB), survey for 2 GB, web interface with decoded (unrared/unzipped) binaries, autounrar, autopar, nzb creator, global search (their best kept secret), and more.
Includes SSL for both http and nttp.

*newsguy.com (RoadRunner special -- needs a rr.com address):
»newsguy.com/roadrunner.htm
30 days/1 month free trial
$19.95 per month for unlimited
$9.95 for 50 GB per month (Express)
$14.95 for 50 GB per month (Premium) with carryover for left overs.
Has SSL, Web, and NNTP.
70K newsgroups.
90+ Days Retention
Unwanted filters on text newsgroups.

hakujin

Chicago, IL

2 edits
What do you max at w/ EL two connections? I've heard some say 12Mbps.

I loathe easynews. Their retention is lower than everyone else, and their plans cost more. I've used them in the past but just don't get their marketing strategy anymore.Additional 2GB for a survey is paltry (though not as paltry as JD Power trying to pay me $1 to do a survey, lol). Especially when you consider focus groups will pay you significantly more for a couple hours of your time, if such is your bag. But I digress... I don't want to work for gigs. I'd rather just sign up with a different provider and get more from the get-go.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
said by hakujin:

What do you max at w/ EL two connections? I've heard some say 12Mbps.
It varies. Sometimes 20 KB/sec to 600 KB/sec. Like a couple hours ago, I only got about 100 KB/sec. These are combined speeds. Friday nights are usually fast, but not last Friday night for the first time with ELN's Giganews. I had like 200 KB/sec.? Maybe it's summer with all kids home now.

hakujin

Chicago, IL
reply to Prodeje79
so far the best deal for unmetered seems to be ngroups, followed by blocknews, and then maybe astraweb following suit. Any personal experiences?

I'm thinking of giving ngroups a whirl for a week.

Mogly

@state.ny.us
I'm thinking of giving ngroups a whirl for a week.

Let us know how you like it.

Thanks
Expand your moderator at work