uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to BandHeight

Premium Member

to BandHeight

Re: Firefox 3 honors Windows Security Zones...

I finally got it to work partially. (Not the AV scanning because Avira doesn't do that but I now see the ADS on the file).

I'm embarrassed to say that the problem was that I hardly ever open IE8 because it is soooo crippled (back button doesn't work, can't select part of auto quote here to delete, can't, can't, can't, ...about all IE8 can do unless you emulate IE7, which I don't want to do, is display a page and you can read the page but not do anything and not want to use the back button either). So, because I hardly ever open it, I was under the impression that I had changed the IE setting back to prompt. But evidently I had not as when I finally opened IE8 a few minutes ago, it wouldn't load my tabs and said I had unsafe settings and it was that one setting I had changed from prompt to disabled when I first read this thread. So, after putting it back to prompt, I tried Fx3 and downloaded an eicar zip file (with Avira Guard disabled so I could download it) and then I looked at the properties of the file and it shows an ADS tag. I ran the file so something is still not working right as I should have been stopped or warned at least right?

(Fx3 is acting nutty again and it continually loads this site and others but this site is the worst. I switched to my host computer with Fx 1.5 and this site loads just fine. IE8 is continually loading this site also on my guest machine).
BandHeight
join:2004-08-30

BandHeight

said by Mele20:

I finally got it to work partially. (Not the AV scanning because Avira doesn't do that but I now see the ADS on the file).
Cool.
said by Mele20:

... and said I had unsafe settings and it was that one setting I had changed from prompt to disabled when I first read this thread. So, after putting it back to prompt ...
Hmm. Changing "Launching applications and unsafe files" to "Disabled" isn't unsafe (it's actually the "safest" setting) and shouldn't be issuing a warning in your GUI (e.g., "Your security settings put your computer at risk" should not show up). Setting "Launching applications and unsafe files" to "Enabled (not secure)", as the name may suggest, does cause the settings to be flagged as unsafe.

Anyway, yes, setting "Launching applications and unsafe files" to "Prompt (recommended)" is what you need for the test you are conducting.
said by Mele20:

... then I looked at the properties of the file and it shows an ADS tag. I ran the file so something is still not working right as I should have been stopped or warned at least right?
You should be getting the prompt after executing the file. Keep digging around. Something's still a little funky.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by BandHeight:

Keep digging around. Something's still a little funky.

Avira is now invoked on Vista by Fx3 Download Manager. I watched it scanning (at least Download Manager showed my AV scanning so I assume it was scanning) during a download of a Microsoft Patch a little while ago. The patch is for IE8 which I also have on a machine with XP so I just now downloaded the patch on that machine. Avira was not invoked during the download by Fx3 Download Manager. I have the same settings for Firefox and IE on both versions of Windows.

There is a thread in the Avira forum where an Avira tech posted yesterday and said that the Fx3 problem was fixed (and was online) in regards to the Download Manager. He didn't elaborate so I still am puzzled as to why the scan is invoked on Vista but not XP.
BandHeight
join:2004-08-30

BandHeight

said by Mele20:

There is a thread in the Avira forum where an Avira tech posted yesterday and said that the Fx3 problem was fixed (and was online) in regards to the Download Manager. He didn't elaborate so I still am puzzled as to why the scan is invoked on Vista but not XP.
Thank you for the info. I'll check up on it.