All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
BandHeight
join:2004-08-30

1 recommendation

BandHeight to OZO

to OZO

Re: Firefox 3 honors Windows Security Zones...

said by OZO:

What I'm trying to say is turning ON / OFF switch is just a tip of the iceberg for security zone configuration. It's considerably deeper than that. In this development if you said 'A', then you should say 'B' as well (if you know what I mean).
Yes. It goes much deeper than that. My proposal concentrated on the ability to cleanly and clearly provide a means to turn off the functionality. Changing the value to "true", however, does get us back to the question of, "What interface do we use to change the settings?". For better or for worse, for now it is only available through the Windows interface.
said by OZO:

And finally, FF is integrating into the existing system rather than just recreating a different version of it is not what I want to happen. We already have one web browser that some claim is an integrated part of the OS. I do now want to have yet another one with the same claim. Web browser should not be an integrated part of any OS. That's my strong opinion.
Nothing wrong with a strong opinion.

"Integration" brings some strongly negative connotations in the context of Internet Explorer. Integration that forces users into something they may not wish or that stifles fair trade and competition is the kind we don't want to see. On the other hand, integration can be good, integration has many different tiers from loose-integration to breaks-if-you-remove-it-integration, and all software that is installed on any platform has to "fit in", so to speak, on some level to even run.

A very simple and benign bit of integration, I think you will agree, is that FF 3.0 looks different in Windows versus its appearance in Linux, even going as far as foregoing the new style back-forward buttons in Linux so that it fits in better with the Linux environment (that, of course is the Mozilla teams opinion).

Let's just say that integration is an integral (pun intended) part of computing. The good news in the case under discussion here is that the integration does not approach the level of integration (the really bad kind) usually implied when discussing IE and Windows.
SUMware2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21

SUMware2

Premium Member

said by BandHeight:

FF 3.0 looks different in Windows versus its appearance in Linux, even going as far as foregoing the new style back-forward buttons in Linux so that it fits in better with the Linux environment (that, of course is the Mozilla teams opinion).
Mine, too. FF3 flows into Linux nicely on my shiny new openSUSE 11.0 IMO...

... and I'm so glad that, as a Linux user, I don't need to deal with any of the convoluted issues raised in this thread.

[but i don't think that the 'awesome bar' is]
BandHeight

1 edit

BandHeight

said by SUMware2:

... and I'm so glad that, as a Linux user, I don't need to deal with any of the convoluted issues raised in this thread.
Excatly.
said by SUMware2:

I don't know anybody who does (I guess maybe the mozilla team members that coded it). I'm as switched back to the old-style as can be accomplished with extensions and About:Config settings.

Edit:

I assumed you read all my posts, which is the wrong assumption, so I'll clarify here that my primary OS is Linux as well (Arch + Gnome or Openbox, though; haven't used SuSE since version 8.something and never installed OpenSuSE, so I don't know what FF 3.0 looks like in KDE if that is what you are using).
SUMware2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21

1 edit

SUMware2

Premium Member

said by BandHeight:

said by SUMware2:

I don't know anybody who does (I guess maybe the mozilla team members that coded it). I'm as switched back to the old-style as can be accomplished with extensions and About:Config settings.
Exactly.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

said by SUMware2:
said by BandHeight:
said by SUMware2:

Exactly.
Pssst. What is the awesome bar? I must not have noticed it when I tried FF3.
BandHeight

BandHeight

said by sivran:

Pssst. What is the awesome bar? I must not have noticed it when I tried FF3.
I'll bump the font so others can hear as well.

It's the term being applied to the location bar (I think it was referred to, perhaps unofficially, as the "almighty bar" during the beta phase ... now its just "awesome").

There have been many complaints about the location bar in FF 3.0, some involving its appearance (without mods, it takes up a lot of real estate), some involving the search algorithm (it picks up a lot more results that some people don't want included), some involving the fact that it lists all URLs and not just the ones you manually type in, etc.

See here for some ways to get it back to the old-style as much as possible (the search algorithm is not modifiable, however):

»How to get yellow address bar with SSL in firefox 3

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Oh, right. That thing. For some reason, I was thinking it was an actual toolbar or something. Opera 9.5 does the same thing. I find it useful on rare occasions but annoying most of the time. I'd want a way to quickly (read: not involving about:config) turn it on and off. Maybe even have it only behave that way if I typed words, rather than an address.

Thankfully my primary browser, SeaMonkey, doesn't bug me with such things.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

said by sivran:

Thankfully my primary browser, SeaMonkey, doesn't bug me with such things.
I see your point.

I do not support the use of ADS at all. I think with introducing those ADS'a in SP2 m$ has actually opened Pandora's box. ADS's may be very easily misused. I hope we realize that, for example, under the Notepad.exe name a smart guy may hide folders and folders of any files (creating actually a whole new FS). And with current state of public knowledge and tools to find and work with ADS's - it's obvious to me that it's a dangerous thing that just wait to show its ugly head...

I try to keep amount of ADS's on my NTFS at minimum level. I do not allow IE to create ADS's on my downloaded files. I know, that I've downloaded them. And I do not need any reminder about that. There are probably a few files that currently have ADS's on my HD. And I watch it carefully.

That's why I think this tendency of Mozilla to embrace this move towards spreading ADS's in not the right thing for computer security. But, of cause, they may don't care...