Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

1 edit

funchords

MVM

SOFTCOM also on the NebuAd gravy train

Northern California ISP SOFTCOM also puts its NebuAd Opt-Out link in its massive Terms of Service.

Someone who didn't carefully read all 70 paragraphs might miss the one-word hyperlink above Section 3, Billing.

That link, anchored to the word "here" points to »www.nebuad.com/company/o ··· tout.php.
funchords

2 edits

funchords

MVM

20/20 Communications and NebuAd

Section 22 of 20/20 CommunicationsTOS is about Privacy and Security.

You have no privacy, unless you opt out of having no privacy.

"By opting out you will continue to receive advertisements as normal; except these advertisements will be less relevant and less useful to you. If you would like to opt out, click here or vist [sic] »www.nebuad.com/privacy/s ··· cy.php."

Similar text appears here, probably for their non-wireless service. »www.2020comm.net/ww/pp.asp

Any questions?

tomatoe
Premium Member
join:2002-08-03
Kansas City, MO

tomatoe

Premium Member

said by funchords:

Any questions?
I just read this entire news story and all the posts. All I have to say is I wish we (as a society) would put as much effort into curing cancer, childhood obesity, and homelessness, to mane a few, as we do in protecting our computer's cookies, and our IP address. Adjust your browser security settings, encrypt your traffic, invest in a firewall, and a router. This is the Internet folks. Travel at your own risk, or start your own ISP.

funchords
Hello
MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

said by tomatoe:
said by funchords:

Any questions?
I just read this entire news story and all the posts. All I have to say is I wish we (as a society) would put as much effort into curing cancer, childhood obesity, and homelessness, to mane a few, as we do in protecting our computer's cookies, and our IP address. Adjust your browser security settings, encrypt your traffic, invest in a firewall, and a router. This is the Internet folks. Travel at your own risk, or start your own ISP.
Hi Fame -- normally I would agree with you, but this stuff breaks the normal rules. None of the above will protect you from this, unless you buy a VPN for Internet Access -- and why do you need to buy a VPN for Internet Access when you're already paying for Internet Access?

If this crap is allowed to continue, the Internet will be a fond memory as we "tune in" to see "what's on."
funchords

1 edit

funchords

MVM

RTC on Line aka Rochester Telephone Company sells to NebuAd

»support.rtcol.com/polici ··· ms.shtml has the link to NebuAd's page at »www.nebuad.com/company/o ··· tout.php linked to the final two words of the page, "click here."
funchords

1 edit

funchords

MVM

Blackfoot Telecommunications Group, Inc. Missoula MT Nebuad

Google's HTML copy of »www.blackfoot.com/pdf/TANDC.pdf mentions NebuAd while the actual PDF no longer does.
Your Privacy and Security

DSL offers an “always on” service which includes a virtual private circuit to your computer. Privacy and
security cannot be guaranteed and we shall not be liable to you for any lack of privacy you experience while
using your Service. Beginning March 15, 2008, we will partner with NebuAd to deliver or facilitate delivery of
online advertisements to our users while they are surfing the web. These advertisements will be based on
those users' anonymous surfing behavior while they are online. This anonymous information will not include
those users' name, email address, telephone number, ip address, or any other personally identifiable
information. By opting out you will continue to receive advertisements as normal at the web sites you
normally visit; except these advertisements may be less relevant and less useful to you. For more
information please go to www.blackfoot.com, Customer Support, All Help Topics, General Internet. If you
would like to opt out of targeted online advertisements, go to the following web link and click the Opt-Out
option: »www.nebuad.com/privacy/o ··· tout.php (cut and paste into your browser search bar)
The directory »www.blackfoot.com/pdf/ shows a date for TANDC.pdf of May 8, 2008, but one may or may not accurately infer that NebuAd was in use from March 15th to May 8th.
funchords

funchords

MVM

NebuAd's ISP Partners

I've been updating Wikipedia as I've been finding these, so for my current list, it's probably best to look there.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NebuAd
Blackfoot
join:2008-06-30
Missoula, MT

Blackfoot to funchords

to funchords

Re: Blackfoot Telecommunications Group, Inc. Missoula MT Nebuad

Blackfoot tested NebuAd on its internal corporate network, with employees only and not with its customers, in March 2008, but had similar concerns to those raised by consumer groups and elected not to launch the service.

Mary Worden
IT Manager
Blackfoot Telecommunications

funchords
Hello
MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

You beat me to it, Mary. I just came here to post the same thing.

Well, a good thing happened as a result -- you joined DSLReports!! Welcome!!!

...and thanks for clarifying what happened!

--Robb