uniqs

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-26

hayc59

Premium Member

[Need Info] Burning Cd's..Whats The Best Speed

would like to know the best speed for sound quality?
16/48...yadaa yadda...thanks

DiscardedVet
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Sturgis, SD

1 recommendation

DiscardedVet

Premium Member

I've never heard of burning speed variation affecting a sound file, I mean, a file is a file is a file.

I have learned thru experience, however, that the crappier the brand of media you buy, the slower you want to burn to it.

Zero Gravity
Next to Arch Stanton
Premium Member
join:2002-04-30
Top Floor

Zero Gravity

Premium Member

said by DiscardedVet:

I have learned thru experience, however, that the crappier the brand of media you buy, the slower you want to burn to it.

I agree with this. Best to buy good quality media.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium Member
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

wings10 to DiscardedVet

Premium Member

to DiscardedVet
said by DiscardedVet:

Agree.

richter35
Premium Member
join:2004-01-03
Croatia

richter35 to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59
I agree with what's been said above. I used to follow discussions on Hydrogen Audio on various topics - which codecs to use, audio rippers, burning software...

It was "common" information to use as lowest speed as possible when burning audio cds. I must say that was something debated in days of 4x - 8x burners. If you have decent burner and use quality brand of media there should be no issues. Haven't seen anyone confirming using lower burning speeds or exact burning speed to be the best or recommended. It shouldn't matter as audio won't be altered.

cvrefugee
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Riverside, CA

cvrefugee to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59
When you burn at a faster speed, there is a higher chance for errors in the burning process. I normally restrict burning audio/data CDs at 16x and video/data DVDs at 4x. I use good media yet anything higher has caused skipping or data corruption, depending on the player or computer.
wssddc
join:2001-08-21
Bedford, MA

wssddc to hayc59

to hayc59
My experience is that if you don't get good burns at the highest speed supported by your drive and media, going to a slower speed doesn't help much. (I'm rating burn quality by C1/C2 errors or PIE/PIF as reported by Nero DiscSpeed.)

hayc59
Your a Daisy
Premium Member
join:2001-02-26

hayc59

Premium Member

ah ok and thanks!!
so if possible slower is better
compared to faster?

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium Member
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

1 edit

wings10

Premium Member

said by hayc59:

ah ok and thanks!!
so if possible slower is better
compared to faster?
Well by going slower there is less chance for an error to occur. At least that is what I am told. I never have burned at the max speed on any of my pc's.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to hayc59

Premium Member

to hayc59
One factor that hasn't been mentioned yet is the player that's going to be play the burned CD. Older players that play CDRs at all sometimes will not play CDRs burned at faster speeds. There was a case of just this posted either in this forum or somewhere else on this site -- burning slower solved the OP's problem.