Martinez, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER

1 edit

Going to be moving... what to expect

Howdy all

I plan on moving somewhere around the end of August. I don't know where to yet, somewhere local to Pleasant Hill or Martinez... maybe Concord but the wife already knows it has to be somewhere where my Sonic extreme + static account will be happy. I plan to be calling support for availability on some addresses as soon as we start officially looking.

Once we find the location... what is the total run down on what needs to be done with both Sonic & Pachell AND just as important... how can I expect it actually happen? Time frames... down time, everything you can give me PLEASE

EDIT: One item of interest would be how my Static IP's will effect the whole process... my site is based on that IP so I assume that is going to play into all of this.

I run my MS SBS server on the DSL handling my web site and Exchange, RWW and everything else I can squeeze out of my home business network.

Thank you in advance and as always, keep up the good work!
--
Mom was right.... I NEED fiber!

tquan

join:2001-09-13
Mountain View, CA
General advice:

Get your order in for your new AT&T phone line as soon as you can, but don't yet disconnect your phone line at your old place.

Go here as soon as you know your new phone number:

»sonic.sonic.net/members/pb_dsl_t···ndex.php

and say you're moving. Enter your new phone number. When you're asked the question, say that you don't want your old Sonic DSL service stopped until your new one is working.

As I recall, if you're prompt about filling out the move form right after you get your new number, the time to activate DSL is quick (I think within a business day or two of the line getting turned on?) In any case, you did select the option to keep your old service going until your new service is verified, so you won't have downtime.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
reply to Veloslave
tquan, thanks for the reply, some good info there.

I must say that I was hoping for a little more detailed input from someone from the company...
--

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9
Sorry, I didn't notice the post myself.

Your best bet is to talk to Lani or Jenny in the billing and provisioning group on Monday about the process. They can be reached at 707-522-1000, M-F 9-5.

I do know that the static IP will be a problem. Each IP is out of a block dedicated to a Redback SMS, and in any move, you'll always end up on a different Redback (we have over 30 of them). As a result, your static IPs will change. To facilitate, we may be able to provide the new IPs in advance, if that's helpful.

-Dane

dagg

join:2001-03-25
Galt, CA
reply to Veloslave
the one thing that didnt really get answered is the downtime. you can avoid down time if you have your new POTS line set up already or if you go with a dedicated loop as opposed to a line share (not sure if Sonic does dedicated loops, I think they do, but you would have to ask them to be sure). If you are going to be keeping your existing number and going with a line share, you will have down time and there is no way around that one unfortunately. They will have to turn down the old service then bring up the new service and you are looking at anywhere from a week to three weeks depending on any LEC issues. Sonic will not be where any problems in that area come in and they are pretty fast at turnaround times once the LEC gets their stuff in order.

Veloslave
Geek For God
Premium
join:2003-07-11
Martinez, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·PHONE POWER

1 edit
reply to Veloslave
Well... something I WAS NOT expecting seems to have reared it's ugly head... I have to step down on speed to stay with Sonic. We finally signed a lease and the address turns out to be too far for the enhanced service. This really bites as the upload speed of the pro is only 512 and with overhead... well I don't want to even think of that. I am currently preparing a new server to bring online for gaming (BF2 and some others)along with my web and Exchange server and with my current enhanced I was kinda scraping the bottom for running a couple of servers with only 768 up... I certainly didn't think the new one was ever going make it to be a 64 player server.

I am saddened and maybe even sickened that I will probably have to get a comcrap business account... a sad twist for sure.

Dane.... what can I do???? I called and talked with sales and service... they sent in and received a line measurement test to pachell... it is plain and simple... it's too far.

This really sucks... but I gotta be real about it, I'm a geek that is online about... well, let's not go there but suffice it to say it's enough that I certainly do not want to lose speed. Is there any hope for this Sonic fanboy?
--