guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Port Costa, CA
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER

Question about IP.

Click for full size
While messing around with my neighbors wireless AP and pinging 192.168.1.1 I ran across a odd issue.

I'm using a desktop machine with a PCI wireless card in it and 2 ethernet cards. Now when I leave myself connected to my S.net DSL line (eth1) and when I have my wireless card (eth2) connected to my neighbors AP I ran into a weird issue.

His AP is 192.168.1.1 and sometimes when I make changes to his AP I ping-t 192.168.1.1 to see when the device reboots etc etc. Now when that is happening I still get a response from 192.168.1.1. I was baffled by this. Knowing his unit was offline and I was still able to ping 192.168.1.1. I thought what if it wasn't on his end. So I turned off my wireless card and left my connection to S.net on and I pinged 192.168.1.1 and lo and behold I get a 7-8ms response.

Now I've had this issue before with S.net with the 10.0.0.1/8 range of IP's when I would mess around with my zoom dsl modem.

Its not a problem, but I'd like to know why S.net responds to a local address.

burrowowl
Sonic.Net

join:2003-01-22
Santa Rosa, CA
We didn't always, but under certain circumstances we can redirect traffic to what amounts to a "we had to shut you down because of abusive traffic from this connection, please give us a call" page when we can't get in touch with a DSL customer that is sourcing spam or other bad traffic that needs stopping. This is also used for circuits that are locked for non-payment or other situations that aren't coming readily to mind. We do this by shoving you over to 10.0.0.2 (IIRC) and serving the informational page off of that.

As I understand it, this should only apply to the 10.*mumble* address space, not the 192.168.*mumble*

--
John Fitzgerald
Sonic.net Tech Support

guhuna
Premium
join:2001-03-31
Port Costa, CA
Reviews:
·PHONE POWER

1 edit
ahh, okay.

Ya when I used to type in 10.0.0.6 or .7 it use to redirect me to a page about non-payment or suspension of the account.

I don't understand though why it does it for the 192 subnet.

Either way its not a problem nor an issue. Its just strange to me.