spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Ed11703
join:2008-02-15
North Babylon, NY

Ed11703

Fios Triple Play-Taxes on Services

What is the amount of taxes I can expect to pay on the phone portion of Fios triple Play Service?

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium Member
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD

KoolMoe

Premium Member

I don't have the breakdown in front of me, but I have the $99/mo triple play deal and end up paying aout $133 after one HD STB, one SD STB, and whatever other taxes and fees above that. IIRC, at least $20 of that is phone 'taxes' (cough).
KM

kyler13
Is your fiber grounded?
join:2006-12-12
Annapolis, MD

kyler13 to Ed11703

to Ed11703
Yeah, phone kills the deal. I won't touch any Verizon bundle with landline when I can get phone service with voip for about one quarter the cost. Looks like you can do a triple play with Verizon wireless instead and still get a decent savings.
bushleaguer
join:2007-01-22
Gillette, NJ

bushleaguer to Ed11703

to Ed11703
I have fios internet and phone service through fios (land line). Local taxes vary, but I pay over $12 with taxes and fees. If you get the triple play the phone will be the killer in terms of taxes/fees (like the 911 fee, for example).
Ed11703
North Babylon, NY

Ed11703 to KoolMoe

to KoolMoe
When I informed my friend of this tax situation, he immediately cancelled his Fios install and is keeping his current provider. The Fios sales guy never mentioned taxes to him until I brought up the topic. My friend claimed that he was under the impression that he will be paying the price quoted by the Fios sales rep, which, in my opinion, was a good deal vs. his current provider. The taxes was the deal killer, which, was never mentioned by the sales rep. I told my friend that he should have asked more questions. I am sure Fios is a great service but those $20+ taxes on the phone portion...eek!

kyler13
Is your fiber grounded?
Annapolis, MD

kyler13

Of course the salesperson didn't mention the taxes, just like any landline provider won't mention it. And if you ask, they won't give you a straight answer because they can't predict the numerous fees that vary with locale because some of it is fixed and some is percentage-based. The information is not on their fingertips. I personally think there should be a policy of full disclosure on taxes and fees that exceed a certain percentage of the base price. If the billing system can generate it on a monthly basis, there's no reason Verizon or any other landline provider can't have the information available for sales.

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium Member
Annapolis, MD

KoolMoe to Ed11703

Premium Member

to Ed11703
Completely agree, and no kidding...'eek!'
I asked when I signed up. It was still cheaper than the alternatives and the sales person did suggest about $30 extra for the taxes. I wonder how he got close. Maybe cause either taxes don't vary all that much or he did have access to my local rates? I have a hard time believing sales reps don't have access to that info.

Here's my bill. How much of it is BS? I'd like to know...
FiOS® Triple Freedom: Full Month  $99.99
FiOS Triple Freedom 
Includes: 
- Verizon Freedom Essentials 
- FiOS TV Premier 
- FiOS Internet 

Voice Additional Services  $0.95
International Flat Rate Plan 

TV Additional Services $14.98
Standard STB Rental
High Definition STB Rental

Taxes, Fees and Other Charges $18.04
Voice
Federal Excise Tax $0.20
MD Local Tax $2.12

MD Federal Universal Service Fund Surcharge $0.64
Gross Receipts Tax - Long Distance $0.40
Federal Universal Service FundSurcharge Long Distance $0.73
MD 911 Fee $1.00
Telecommunications Access of MD Fee $0.20
Gross Receipts Tax - Long Distance -$0.22
MD Gross Receipts Tax Surcharge $0.55

Federal Subscriber Line Charge $5.70

Federal Universal Service - Long Distance $0.09
MD Tax Surcharge $0.02
- Long Distance
TV
State Sales Tax* $0.90

Video Franchise Fee* $2.83
Surcharge $0.98

Miscellaneous
Late Payment Fee $1.90 *this one's my fault!

Total Charges $133.96

KoolMoe

KoolMoe to Ed11703

Premium Member

to Ed11703
Oh, and my $5 discount for signing up for a 2 year agreement seems to have disappeared too...
KM
Ed11703
North Babylon, NY

Ed11703 to KoolMoe

to KoolMoe
Thank Kool Mo for posting your bill.... Eddie

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ

HarleyYac to Ed11703

Premium Member

to Ed11703
Ask them for a credit. I get mine every month for the taxes. I get charged taxes and the give me a $10.00 credit.
Lee

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium Member
Annapolis, MD

KoolMoe

Premium Member

I've emailed customer support, about 4 days ago. No reply yet. Surprise...surprise...
Calling them next I have the chance.
KM

kyler13
Is your fiber grounded?
Annapolis, MD

kyler13 to KoolMoe

to KoolMoe
KoolMoe, you have about $15 in taxes, not $30. You have $15 in equipment charges for TV.

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium Member
Annapolis, MD

KoolMoe

Premium Member

You checking up on me or something?
Sorry I misspoke. I have $18 in taxes and $15 in STB rentals..what's that, oh, about $33 extra. I pretty much said all that but if you want to get picky... sheesh.
KM

kyler13
Is your fiber grounded?
Annapolis, MD

kyler13

said by KoolMoe:

You checking up on me or something?
Sorry I misspoke. I have $18 in taxes and $15 in STB rentals..what's that, oh, about $33 extra. I pretty much said all that but if you want to get picky... sheesh.
KM
Relax. The extra charge for the equipment, at least, is predictable according to the a la carte menus so you see that cost coming. That doesn't bother me so much since these costs compete with other providers like cable or satellite (all have various equipment fees). I know if I got a VZ package for ~$100, I'm fine with paying ~$20 on the equipment. It's the other $20 in "surprise" fees that gets me. It is THAT alone that makes landline non-competitive with ANY other phone service, and really makes the VZ triple play worthless as a competitive tool. Now, my research tells me that VZ will do triple play discount with cellular in place of landline, or at least that combination of services yielded some bundle discount when going through the motions on VZ's website. That I might be interested in!