seagreen
Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there

seagreen to GeekJedi

Mod

to GeekJedi

Re: Centurytel drops NebuAd

I guess I'm just skeptical because, (to me), any company who has once shown their willingness to engage in nefarious behavior will likely do so again.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

Your skepticism is healthy -- keep it.

That said, corporations don't admit that they were wrong. Something being suspended indefinitely is probably the best we're ever going to get from Charter, CenturyTel, or Embarq.

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium Member
join:2001-06-21
Mukwonago, WI
ARRIS TM1602
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)
Ooma Telo

1 edit

GeekJedi to seagreen

Premium Member

to seagreen
I understand, but to quote Hanlon:

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

I don't think the people involved thought for a minute that what they were doing was nefarious. They simply were offered a way to potentially generate a new revenue stream. For companies, it's easy to see things the way you want to see them when there is money involved.

Believe me, I'm not defending them, but I do understand how big business works. Many times, the "evil plot" was simply hatched by some middle manager who doesn't know any better.

funchords
Hello
MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA

funchords

MVM

That's fine, but -- especially in the TelCo world -- there's stupidity and there's criminal wiretapping.

I've checked 18 USC 2511 and I can't find the Stupidity defense.

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
Premium Member
join:2001-06-21
Mukwonago, WI

GeekJedi

Premium Member

Yeah, but you really can't compare the two...

seagreen
Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there

3 edits

seagreen to GeekJedi

Mod

to GeekJedi
Well, I got the email today from CTel:
said by email :
CenturyTel is not currently using online behavioral advertising tools in any of its markets, and we are delaying our plans to move forward with the deployment of online behavioral advertising services - either through NebuAd or any other vendor - at this time. CenturyTel is delaying its implementation plans so that Congress can spend additional time addressing the privacy issues and policies associated with online behavioral advertising.
This is, in no way, particularly reassuring. They clearly are not renouncing the concept. I believe the company suits continue to look at this potential revenue stream with great longing and that our privacy will once again be for sale once they figure out a way to implement this scheme in a way that won't come back to bite them legally.

edit to add: It's also clear that NebuAd isn't giving up and will be looking at ways to "educate" our lawmakers and privacy advocates. NebuAD Responds To ISP Backlash. In other words, they'll throw some money around where they think it will do them some good.

What is particularly telling is that they are not simply going to an "opt-in" setup which would likely fail spectacularly. It continues to be an "opt-out" scenario which clearly they assume the average person connecting to the Internet will not do.
« Zoom ModemWhy? »
This is a sub-selection from Centurytel and NebuAd