uniqs

PeterinNJ
@optonline.net

PeterinNJ to PeterinNJ

Anon

to PeterinNJ

Re: [Problem]Belkin N1 Vision: disconnects on a 2-hour intereval

UPDATE:
The good news is that the wireless disconnecting every two hours is apparently due to the way pokerstars software works with some routers and not the Vision's ntp task.

This is based on my personal experience and the times listed in the the Vision's security log for the ntp task (which is a full TEN minutes AFTER the disconnect).
I found at least two threads, including the following:
»forumserver.twoplustwo.c ··· -259447/
that highlight the issue as only occurring with pokerstars and not other poker sites.

An auto-repeating ping command running constantly resolves the issue.
ping -t pokerstars.com

Now the only issue I thought I had with the N1 Vision may in fact just be a poker client software issue that happens with a variety of routers!
PeterinNJ

PeterinNJ to dlnqt

Anon

to dlnqt
I take back my previous comment.

PROBLEM:
The (wireless) disconnecting WAS due to the N1 Vision (version 2000 in my case) after all.

What fooled me earlier is that the router's security log shows the ntp request always occurring exactly 12 minutes AFTER every disconnect, which didn't seem to make sense.

SOLUTION:
Despite the time mismtaches between the ntp task run times and the time the disconnects were occurring, I decided to kill the task anyway to see what happened.
Once I did this, via the hidden page, the disconnecting stopped - the pokerstars log files are very handy for checking this (I simply do a find on "keepAlive timeout exceeded")
The pokerstars site also issues a welcome pop-up after I get disconnected; that is the other clue that a dropout occurred (in case I am not actively using the site or my computer when a disconnect occurs).

RESULTS:
Before disabling the ntp task, the dropouts occurred every two hours, without fail; after disabling the task (about 22 hours ago), I have not had a single dropout.
I am surprised Belkin hasn't released a firmware update, especially since the average user is not going to know about the "hidden page" and killing an ntp task; rather, they average user is likely to return the router and get a different one or return to their old model if they still have it.

COMMENTS:
Luckily the router hasn't needed rebooting so far (have owned it about 10 days) and I suspect I will have to reboot it once every month or two at most; therefore the task killing trick will only be needed once in a while and wil not be a cumbersome process while we await a firmware update that addresses this issue.

Belkin,
I hope you are reading this and working on the code changes required to fix this. I would hope it is pretty straight forward since you already did it for version 1000 and the specific part of the code base that needs to be changed is hopefully pretty similar between version 1000 and 2000.

ncinsguy1
@bellsouth.net

ncinsguy1

Anon

how do you kill the task? i got to the hidden page but i don't see anywhere to kill a process.
ncinsguy
join:2008-06-15
United State

2 edits

ncinsguy

said by ncinsguy1 :

how do you kill the task? i got to the hidden page but i don't see anywhere to kill a process.
i'm not using any poker sites, my connection drops all the time and my router is version 1000 with the latest firmware.

PeterinNJ
@citicorp.com

PeterinNJ to dlnqt

Anon

to dlnqt
In reply to your question, here are detailed instructions.

A post on Pcmag by Nexy and on the DD-WRT forum by Nexy33 explains how to kill the ntp process on the Vision N1

Here they are verbatim:

"1) go to this page on the router »192.168.2.1/wukongjiuwo.html
2) type PS and click on the enter button
3) identify the NTP process : on my machine it was 782, in the post it was 787, so be careful it varies. the process is easy to identifies, it have NTP in it and the time zone in wich you are
4) type kill [process number] in my case it was kill 782 and click the enter button
5) voilà!"

I didn't bother to edit anything that is listed in italics above.

Good luck!

I got disconnects the last two nights (two the first night
and one the second night around the same time); I am not sure why.
I may change the channel to see if it helps.
Before that it had been fine for literally days.
ncinsguy
United State

ncinsguy

thanks for the instructions i'll try it when i get home.
ncinsguy

ncinsguy

i think it worked, it was scheduled to drop at 19:30 est but it didn't

StRoRo
@blueyonder.co.uk

StRoRo

Anon

Unfortunately I have installed the latest patch 1.00.16.
My problem was it was dropping my xbox live and several online games ever hour or so.
This fix has stopped my PC games from dropping but has since caused my XBOX not to connect to the router. Anything with an unknown hostname is not given an IP address. Even if I give a static IP to my XBOX it cant connect.

I have tried the kill command but I feel its too late now. The damage is done

PeterinNJ
@citicorp.com

PeterinNJ to ncinsguy

Anon

to ncinsguy
[ncinsguy said]i think it worked, it was scheduled to drop at 19:30 est but it didn't

That's good news.

Last night I didn't experience the wireless disconnect issue that I had one and two times on the prior two nights respectively, so maybe it was someone on a nearby network.
I didn't get around to changing the channel in the router config yet.
I forgot what the default was, but I set it to 'auto' a week or so ago.

I wish I could set the router to 'n' only (I don't care about b or g and those two represent most of the nearby wireless networks). Not sure why the router config doesn't offer / support "802.11n only".

Anyway, I am happy with the router / wireless adapter combo that I am using.
The adapter (Rosewill Rosewill RNX-N1) sees about 13 wireless networks, which is a lot more than my notebook's decent Atheros AR5005G wireless G adapter!
This is great IMHO considering this is in a single family home neighborhood with no apartments nearby (i.e. other residences are not close by like apartments would be).
ncinsguy
United State

ncinsguy to StRoRo

to StRoRo
said by StRoRo :

Unfortunately I have installed the latest patch 1.00.16.
My problem was it was dropping my xbox live and several online games ever hour or so.
This fix has stopped my PC games from dropping but has since caused my XBOX not to connect to the router. Anything with an unknown hostname is not given an IP address. Even if I give a static IP to my XBOX it cant connect.

I have tried the kill command but I feel its too late now. The damage is done
How is your Xbox connected, wireless or wired? Before I did the fix my wireless would drop but wired would not be affected. You can always reset the router and set it up again to get the software update out of there if you believe that to be the problem.
ncinsguy

ncinsguy

I just got response from Belkin about this problem, they sent me a generic form response of things i have already tried. I replied to them and told them what the problem is and the fix and the link to this post and asked the to fix it. Hope the will.

PeterinNJ
@citicorp.com

2 edits

PeterinNJ to dlnqt

Anon

to dlnqt
nicinsguy,

Thanks.

Belkin (or at least their UK counterparts) should know what to do since as stated in their own pre-release Vision firmware release notes:

"Fix for a problem where the router would drop some connections on 2-hour intervals"

»www.belkin.com/uk/support/

[Mod note: Link fixed. sash]
Expand your moderator at work

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa to PeterinNJ

Mod

to PeterinNJ

Peter, your link wasn't working at all but I was able to fix it somewhat but it doesn't go to that article. Could you please repost it? Thanks.
ncinsguy
United State

1 edit

ncinsguy

said by sashwa:

Peter, your link wasn't working at all but I was able to fix it somewhat but it doesn't go to that article. Could you please repost it? Thanks.
i found the article »www.belkin.com/uk/suppor ··· scid=282

i'll try those drivers tonight. they have different downloads on the UK site than the US site and the driver version numbers are higher. I guess they are anti-US when it comes to support. They told me to send mine back for a replacement, their tech support is horrible.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

Thanks, ncinsguy!

StRoRo
@blueyonder.co.uk

StRoRo to ncinsguy

Anon

to ncinsguy
My Xbox was connected wirelessly with the MS XBOX wireless adapter.
When trying to the connect it fails to connect straight away strange thing is the DHCP is reserving an IP for the xbox.
I have done everything I can even removed all of the security from the wireless, changed it to wpa, wep and even totatlly removed and it still would not connect. tested it with an old router and the xbox connected to that no problem.
StRoRo

StRoRo to ncinsguy

Anon

to ncinsguy
said by ncinsguy:

I guess they are anti-US when it comes to support. They told me to send mine back for a replacement, their tech support is horrible.
I don't think that they are Anti-US. If the firmware is developed in the UK it not legal in the US. Europe can use 2 extra channels for wifi which uses a frequencey reserved for non-public use in the US.
ncinsguy
United State

ncinsguy to StRoRo

to StRoRo
said by StRoRo :

My Xbox was connected wirelessly with the MS XBOX wireless adapter.
When trying to the connect it fails to connect straight away strange thing is the DHCP is reserving an IP for the xbox.
I have done everything I can even removed all of the security from the wireless, changed it to wpa, wep and even totatlly removed and it still would not connect. tested it with an old router and the xbox connected to that no problem.
i don't have any experience with the MS wireless connector so i'm sorry but i can't help u with and the settings withing the 360. try to connect it with a wire directly to your router to see the results. i have mine connected to an access point that is bridged with a wireless connection on one of my pc's.
ncinsguy

ncinsguy to StRoRo

to StRoRo
said by StRoRo :

said by ncinsguy:

I guess they are anti-US when it comes to support. They told me to send mine back for a replacement, their tech support is horrible.
I don't think that they are Anti-US. If the firmware is developed in the UK it not legal in the US. Europe can use 2 extra channels for wifi which uses a frequencey reserved for non-public use in the US.
guess i broke the law but the UK software works and it fixed the problem. The router itself is a different version than the one sold in the UK so i would think even with the UK software i doubt it can see those other frequencies but i could be wrong. i'm just glad this thing is working...so far
ncinsguy

ncinsguy

Belkin support just escaleted my support issue, they asked me if the UK firmware worked and if it did they would see about developing the same for the US market. Better late than never i guess.

LivingWithDCs
@sbcglobal.net

LivingWithDCs to dlnqt

Anon

to dlnqt
I've been having the same problem as everyone else and tried using the pre-release firmware to see if it would fix the problem.

I play World of Warcraft and after the update to 1.00.16, I logged in and felt like everything was working fine...then I got disconnected about 20-25 seconds after logging in. I attempted to log in again, and got immediately disconnected. I basically repeated this process about 3-4 more times with the same result.

I *THEN* proceeded to kill the ntp process, logged in, and was not disconnected. It's been a good 10 minutes since I've disconnected. I'll let everyone know if it works out.

For sure though...the pre-release UK firmware did *NOT* work for me. =/

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

(topic move) [Split] F5d8236-4: disconnects on a 2-hour intereva

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »[Split] F5d8236-4: disconnects on a 2-hour intereval

PeterInNJ
@optonline.net

PeterInNJ to dlnqt

Anon

to dlnqt

Lately I have been getting random disconnects even though the network shows available and full signal strength.
I wonder whether a strong neighbor's network is causing interference (one of my neighbor's network shows a 29% signal strength) on my Rosewill N1 Draft 2.0 adapter.
The adapter sees 17 networks which is nice considering I live in a suburban area with single family homes that are not close together!

Yesterday my wireless connection was fine all day!
This evening, without any changes, it disconnected on me 3 times in 15 minutes or so after being fine most of the evening (several hours) without a single disconnect.

These are NOT the 2 hour disconnects (I am no longer getting those since killing the ntp process).

Any ideas on waht could be causing these disconnects (some kind of interference)?
Anyone else in the same boat by any chance?

This is on Vista with a Rosewill N1 wireless adapter.
I wonder whether the extra N1 range comes at a price - i.e. seeing more networks and potentially having one of then interfere with mine.

I have noticed that the wireless connection doesn't like it when the router is broadcasting on channel 11, but it is NOT on that.
It is set to Auto and is always on channel 1.

Protected mode is disabled for best performance (maybe I could try enabling that?).

Bandwidth is set to 20+40MHz for best performance.

SSID broadcast is disabled.

WPA2-PSK with AES encryption.

I have 'MAC address control' enabled to allow only my two wireless adapters.
Haven't tried MAC address filtering which is the same thing as far as I can tell???

This is frustrating considering this is their latest and most expensive router.
The wireless adapter has great reviews.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa to dlnqt

Mod

to dlnqt

(topic move) [Split] F5D8632-4 Version 1000 Problems

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »[Split] F5D8632-4 Version 1000 Problems
chasmm
join:2006-01-25
Greenlawn, NY

chasmm to dlnqt

to dlnqt

Has anyone in the US with version 2 of the Belkin N1 Vision router tried updating with the UK firmware fix? If so, has it caused any problems, and has it fixed the 2-hour disconnect when the time sync occurs?

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

sashwa to dlnqt

Mod

to dlnqt

(topic move) [Split] Belkin N1 Vision: disconnects on a 2-hour i

Moderator Action
The post that was here, has been moved to a new topic .. »[Split] Belkin N1 Vision: disconnects on a 2-hour intereval
nexy33
join:2008-08-03

nexy33 to dlnqt

to dlnqt

Had the same problem with the .16 release update the router refuses to connect to the modem at the 2hr mark now requiring both to be powered on and of... went back to .15 and i use my old way at least its stable till i reboot. And as to the belkin run around yeah it blows, products look and sound superb let down by shody support.
Chandalf
join:2009-04-30
Scotland

Chandalf to dlnqt

to dlnqt
We've had this disconnection problem for months now and, despite both my son and I being Cisco qualified, we could not resolve it. None of the Beta Firmware upgrades helped, the NTP server 'kill' did nothing and as for Belkin's Helpdesk! They suggested changing our SSID...! Eh?

Anyway, I was having one last look at the settings before packing it up in its box and telling Belkin I was returning it for a full refund, when I thought I would try one last thing. I spotted the QoS setting, which was on by default. Unchecking it and re-booting has given us a Router which has now been working faultlessly for a week - no drop-ots, no re-boots.

It may not be an answer for everyone, but it seems to have worked for us. It might be worth a try though, just to prove if it can solve the issue for you. Not being a software/firmware expert I can't say why. Maybe someone out there can explain?
Truelover
join:2009-06-06

Truelover to dlnqt

to dlnqt
Belkin is trying to solve the problem now, they have a Pre-Release Firmware Update on their website which will fix this problem.

Go to:

»www.belkin.com/uk/suppor ··· 7&scid=0

or for the modem router:

»www.belkin.com/uk/suppor ··· 8&scid=0

It worked for me!!

Hope it helps you also