join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to bUU

Premium Member

to bUU

Re: Comcast vs. Verizon FIOS

said by bUU:

There is no sure-fire way to explain to someone who isn't technically inclined the difference between component connections and composite connections by the count of the cables, because such folks will often not be able to tell the difference between audio and video connections. I suspect that cyperstream's (very sound) thinking was that if you've got five cables, then you can be sure that you've got a component connection, whereas if you talk about three cables, someone who isn't an expert may think that you mean the red (left audio), blue (right audio), and yellow (composite video).
The picture very cleary shows the colors for the cable and the connection point on the device. Personally I haven't used any video analog connections in 3 years. It's nice to have my 20+ devices connected with one cable that carries both audio and video.

bUU
join:2007-05-10
Kissimmee, FL

bUU

HDMI is definitely sweet, but I think it'll be a while before the Average Joe will be using that connection exclusively.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to aaronwt

MVM

to aaronwt
bicker is right.

For the most part, if someone is having issues with their HD hookup, 9 times out of 10 they need the 5 wire hookup anyway. You don't want them posting here "Why don't I have any sound?" do you? I don't think they use an A/V receiver or route digital audio to one if they think 3 cables of Red, Yellow, and White are for HD.

The 5 wire cable package I posted looks exactly like the only type of cable Comcast provides with their HD boxes in our area. And if you want HDMI, your on your own for that one (at least when I was installed).

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by cypherstream:

bicker is right.

For the most part, if someone is having issues with their HD hookup, 9 times out of 10 they need the 5 wire hookup anyway. You don't want them posting here "Why don't I have any sound?" do you? I don't think they use an A/V receiver or route digital audio to one if they think 3 cables of Red, Yellow, and White are for HD.

The 5 wire cable package I posted looks exactly like the only type of cable Comcast provides with their HD boxes in our area. And if you want HDMI, your on your own for that one (at least when I was installed).
Comcast had HDMI/DVI cables here. Although I certainly didn't use it.
Even when I used the component connection, I always used the optical or coaxial output for audio. I've been using digital audio capable receivers since 1997.

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to cypherstream

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

bicker is right.

That is no longer true, as installers now carry HDMI cables on their trucks, and will supply them. The biggest issue is TVs that only have composite/component (no HDMI).