how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

griffin911

join:2008-07-01
Gilbert, AZ

[AZ] Picture tiling and sound stuttering

I hope its OK to post this question here....

I have had Cox HSI/DCable for over 5 years now and I am getting so frustrated. I am now on my 3rd home visit by a tech ( the last by a field "supervisor") and my 6th HD DVR (yes 6th!) box.

This last time the "sup" was out he said my HSI #'s were so low they had to be adjusted. He was amazed I was able to get online at all. Remember I called because I was having trouble with tiling and stuttering etc and no problems w/ internet. So he "tweaked" something installed a new splitter and adjusted the line amplifier.

The problem disappeared for a grand total of two days before it came right back. Pictures tile and pixelate the sound stutters, both live and recorded TV. It makes it unbearable. This is both regular and HD programming.

Having read through this forum for a while I am hoping someone here will know of a solution.

Thanks!

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:77
My area of specialty is Internet services but if you PM me your cable modem MAC address I'll be happy to see what I can do.

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA
reply to griffin911
Everything from a modem standpoint looks fine, no signs of any signaling issues there. This has me wondering if there's some kind of issue with the wiring to the cable box or perhaps the box itself although the latter seems less likely if you're on your 6th box. You may want to ask AZHSISUPPRT2 See Profile if he has any thoughts as to what may be going on as well. He is local to your market.

griffin911

Gilbert, AZ
Thanks!

AZHSISUPPRT2

join:2007-11-01
El Mirage, AZ
kudos:7
griffin911,

Could you PM your cable modem MAC address so I can check everything out for you?

Thanks,

Chris@Cox Communications Arizona

Premium
join:2001-02-26
Tempe, AZ
kudos:3
reply to griffin911
I have had a guy out on average once a week for audio stutter and video tiling over the last 6-8 weeks. Internet is fast as hell and no issues.

They pulled all new coax throughout my home, replaced my DVR 3 times, installed and amplifier and I still get it.. Another guy came out today and checked everything, found nothing. Had me move my DVR because "it seemed hot".

Havent noticed much since, but havent been watching TV..

If it continues I am I am going to get really pissed. I may give it a shot by driving to the Cox store on Stapley and getting a box there as my last couple came off a truck and they bounce around..

I think something is up before it gets to my house but it doesnt seem like anyones wants to do more that plug a damn meter into my line and then leave.
--
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

griffin911

Gilbert, AZ
reply to griffin911
It's been happening again all day! I swear I've had Cox for almost a decade but this is enough to make me go to satellite. I don't care if it's more $$$ The quality certainly can't be any worse!

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to griffin911
Do you have a Moto or SA DVR box? Let me know and I'll tell you how to get the signal stats yourself (unless Cox started blocking that recently.)
--
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

DrThodt_

@cox.net
reply to griffin911
Cox does not block the ability to view your signal levels, every customer has access to them. Accessing them through the SA/Moto rcvr just isn't advertised as it is highly technical information that most users can't understand other than "this number isn't this, should it be?". And as far as accessing the levels via the modem, it has always been there for the user to access. It is device specific as to whether or not the manufacturer implemented something to allow you to view it.

griffin911

Gilbert, AZ
reply to joako
its a SA HD DVR

rx7freak

join:2004-09-21
Tulsa, OK
reply to griffin911
I'm a cox tech in Tulsa. Usually when we have repeat trouble calls like this, the problem is found in an often overlooked passive, such as a wallplate barrel or something of that nature. IF it takes another tech coming out, have them swap the barrel in the wallplate.

Additionally, intermittent tiling can be caused by AC voltage from a faulty chassis ground in any component installed in your AV setup. If you have a multimeter/Volt-Ohm meter, I'd recommend plugging a piece of coax into your television's antenna in, a set of RCA cables into the composite in, and component in the component ports, and test the center conductors OF EACH using the AC setting. Repeat this process for every AV device in your setup. Time consuming, yes. Tedious, yes. This is the life of a cable tech.

Any voltage indicates a problem. Usually when I find it it's on a Sony TV's composite or an older VCR's RF (coax) in/outs. Determine if you have current on your lines (which, since all devices are ultimately interconnected, means you're gonna feed back AC to your cable box) and if so, remove it from the chain. Even if it's a lower amt (~5VAC) it can build up and discharge in a fit of digital tiling.

Now, if you have no voltage on your center conductors of your cables, test their grounds. Connect the red probe of your multimeter to the screw of the coax, or to the metal ring around your component/composite cables and the black probe into your grounded wall plug. If found, this electricity can cause problems but can be dissapated through proper grounding/bonding to your electric meter's ground rod.

I wish you luck, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA
Please be advised that rx7freak See Profile has not been verified as an official employee of Cox. Please do not send any personal/sensative information to this user until notified otherwise.

rx7freak

join:2004-09-21
Tulsa, OK
yeah...didnt intend on gleaning any proprietary info from anyone, my offer to answer a pm was to clarify any of the methods/techniques i've given here. I can tell you where to look, what might cause an intermittent issue, or where to guide a newbie tech to check without your SSN or mac address, thank you very much.

TTcntrctr101

join:2008-03-17
Santa Ana, CA

1 recommendation

CoxTech1 needs to relax a bit

needforspeed59
Cruise Ship Just Passing Through

join:2001-05-02
La Place, LA
said by TTcntrctr101:

No he does not. We don't want someone posing as a cox tech here and gathering personal information. I am glad they are on the job.
--
Great success! High five!

jaycamp
Premium
join:2008-05-31
Chandler, AZ
reply to griffin911
I'm glad I am not the only one having this issue. I'm on my 3rd technician.

The first technician replaced the connections outside. Fixed the problem for about 15 minutes. The second guy came out and the cable was not pixelating or tiling on any channel that particular morning, so he said there's nothing I can do. A third technician will be out on Thursday.

I just switched to an HD DVR about 3 months ago. I had gone through about regular digital cable boxes prior to getting our new one. I've had this issue on and off for the past five years living here. It went away for the longest time until we upgraded to HD service.

said by griffin911:

Pictures tile and pixelate the sound stutters, both live and recorded TV. It makes it unbearable. This is both regular and HD programming.
I'm having the same exact issue as griffin911

If anyone reads this and has figured it out, I would love to know. My patience is wearing thin and I swore I would never get satellite but I'm starting to look into it.

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA
I would send a PM to AZHSISUPPRT2 with your modem MAC address if you have Internet so he could research this issue further. He's local to your market and probably a bit more knowledgable with regards to video problems.

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA

2 recommendations

reply to TTcntrctr101
said by TTcntrctr101:

This is getting off topic but no CoxTech1 See Profile does not need to relax a single bit. (S)He is doing his/her job. I wouldn't won't somebody sending their personal information to somebody that is an "unverified CSR/TSR" with the belief that they are an actual technician. Granted "unverified" technicians can still help, as seen with rx7freak See Profile's post.

I also recommend you read (or re-read) the forum's FAQ:

quote:
At Cox, we strictly enforce our authorized posting policy. Employees must go through a validation and authorizing process before we sanction their postings on the Cox Forum here at Broadband Reports. We also keep an eye on postings, and with the help of the members of this forum, make sure we respond professionally and responsibility to questions. In doing this, we can ensure your confidence in our employees that opt to help out here.
(emphasis mine)

The entire FAQ post with authorized techs can be found at: »Cox HSI Forum FAQ »Who are the authorized Cox employees that provide support on this forum?
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
Check Out the Tech Bench »johndball.blaize.net/index.php/tech-bench/
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

DrThodt_

@cox.net

-1 recommendation

reply to griffin911
exocet way to go way off topic. THREAD NOW HIJACKED BY TERRAWISTS!

needforspeed59
Cruise Ship Just Passing Through

join:2001-05-02
La Place, LA
reply to exocet_cm
exocet_cm,
well said!

Ivy2

join:2007-05-15
reply to 10825447
said by 10825447:

I have had a guy out on average once a week for audio stutter and video tiling over the last 6-8 weeks. Internet is fast as hell and no issues.

They pulled all new coax throughout my home, replaced my DVR 3 times, installed and amplifier and I still get it.. Another guy came out today and checked everything, found nothing. Had me move my DVR because "it seemed hot".

Havent noticed much since, but havent been watching TV..

If it continues I am I am going to get really pissed. I may give it a shot by driving to the Cox store on Stapley and getting a box there as my last couple came off a truck and they bounce around..

I think something is up before it gets to my house but it doesnt seem like anyones wants to do more that plug a damn meter into my line and then leave.
I'm wondering if but what this is an as-yet undiagnosed problem BEEECAUSE I've had similar television (cable receiver boxes) issues: tiling, speech "stuttering", even a fluttering of some of the digital channels across the bottom of the screen (change the channel, not present, so it's channel-related/signal-related, not my infrastructure-related).

I've now had four individual cable receivers since January and they all display these same failures. Mine won't (also) hold "Settings" (have posted other threads about this here).

I didn't think to report the "fluttering/stuttering" visuals to Cox until I read several here by others, however.

I've had techs. here, no wiring problems of any kind can be found, all my "wires" are Cox issued anyway (connection wires indoors, all from Cox), nothing indoors or out has Cox identified as having any problem, so just exchanging the cable receiver boxes (in person, as I have done several times) doesn't solve the problem.

TTcntrctr101

join:2008-03-17
Santa Ana, CA
reply to exocet_cm
Can you tell me where rx7freak asked for any such information all he was doing was trying to help the OP with any questions. Quote= I wish you luck, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
said by TTcntrctr101:

Can you tell me where rx7freak asked for any such information all he was doing was trying to help the OP with any questions. Quote= I wish you luck, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
He didn't ask for the information, I gave it to you.
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
Check Out the Tech Bench »johndball.blaize.net/index.php/tech-bench/
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

Premium
join:2001-02-26
Tempe, AZ
reply to Ivy2
I just drove down and swapped out yet another DVR box. Same damn issue. It is getting better, but for what I am paying a month for all of cox's services I shouldnt have to ever see this crap and it has been going on for months.

Numerous techs come out, find nothing. They replaced all the cable in my home, same issue.

I am about to just call them and tell them to just come get all their crap and call it good.
--
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

johnpd
Premium
join:2003-11-20
Green Valley, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to griffin911
I have encountered the same problem from time to time, maybe once a week or every other week. It seems to occur more on the HD channels rather than the standard channels. In fact when I was watching one HD program, the problem began to happen. I switched to the corresponding standard channel and it was ok. I figured it was an issue with Cox. I will continue to monitor to see if I can gather more information.

EDIT (08/08/08 - 3:50am)
The problem appeared again early Friday morning between 3:30 and 3:40am. Some stations were affected more than others. Some would not sync at all. I tried mostly the HD channels and a few movie channels. The movie channels around the two I listed below seemed to be ok. Some HD channels worked, others did not. These are some of the channels affected:

225 MAXE 724 UNVHD
226 MMAXE 726 INTHD
714 HTHTR 736 HISHD
721 OSOC 738 FOODH
722 NGCHD 744 GLFVS
723 DISCH 780 HBOHD

CoxTech1
VIP
Chesapeake, VA
reply to 10825447
For your video issues, I would suggest sending a PM to AZHSISUPPRT2 See Profile with information he can use to lookup your account to assist you further. If you're also an Internet subscriber your cable modem MAC address should work just fine.