uniqs

nikdo
Premium Member
join:2002-02-26
Dacula, GA

nikdo

Premium Member

[Serious] Security Cameras

Does anyone know any stores that have Do it Yourself Security Camera Systems in stock? (Gwinnett, preferably)
I would like to supplement my alarm system with outdoor cameras.

GDATL
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Atlanta, GA

GDATL

Premium Member

Sure - Fry's has them. You can probably see what they have online, but they have lots in their stores, both the Gwinnett Place store and the Alpharetta store. Been thinking about doing the same, but instead I just aimed one of my USB cameras outside for now.
OneHeart
join:2002-02-20

OneHeart

How are you guys recording the video stream--hard drive, tape, etc.?

bigcheez
Coach Mcguirk
join:2001-06-26
Mcdonough, GA

bigcheez to nikdo

to nikdo
Sams also has them, and so does Brandsmart....

nikdo
Premium Member
Dacula, GA

nikdo to OneHeart

Premium Member

to OneHeart
I ended up going with a PCI card, which uses a software DVR.
Fry's had a great deal on a complete package I am very happy with. I went with hard wired cameras, since I can already see so many wireless networks in my neighborhood, when I boot my notebook.
The video is compressed to MPEG4, and leaving it running while gone to work(10-11 hours) only uses 250-300 MB, which I delete after a couple of days.
I can also view from anywhere on the web.

bigcheez
Coach Mcguirk
join:2001-06-26
Mcdonough, GA

bigcheez to nikdo

to nikdo
do you have a link online to this item from frys?

nikdo
Premium Member
Dacula, GA

nikdo

Premium Member

said by bigcheez:

do you have a link online to this item from frys?
»shop2.frys.com/product/4 ··· _RSLT_PG
GhostDoggy
join:2005-05-11
Duluth, GA

GhostDoggy to nikdo

to nikdo
Costco was advertising a 6-camera MPEG-4 DVR system for about $600. I've tried to get my HOA to buy this for the pool area to capture vandalism, but you know how HOA boards go.

karthwyne
join:2003-04-27
Atlanta, GA

karthwyne

I've had good luck with the IP cameras from Frys. The wired are often $60 and the wireless G are $80. There is a pan and tilt wireless for $100. You will have to watch the sales to get these prices, but they are on sale a lot.

It records to hard drive and includes the ability to transfer via ftp. can also record only when motion detected. It certainly added a peace of mind while on vacation to be able to view live feeds over the internet.