spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Skeebo
@covad.net

Skeebo

Anon

[Speed Problem] Steady degradation of sevice over last year

I signed up for 6.0 ADSL service a few years back and for about 18 months I had full 6.0 service, albeit at margins that were razor thin. I would re-synch 2-3 times per day but it would always do so very quickly and I could put up with it.
Lately, service has been in steady decline. My speed was in the mid-high 4K's for mush of the last year but in the last month or so the modem has been connecting at times under 3.0 speeds.

Nothing has changed in the house. I am running a Covad installed 'Y' at the box the whole time.

I did notice that AT&T has been digging holes in about every third front yard in my subdivision. Anyone know if their upgrade will have any effect on my Covad line?

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Yes, I heard it is normal when they work an area and have to move pairs around during upgrades that they may place bridge taps on the lines which increase the line length. Once they complete their work they go back and remove the bridge taps so the lines return to their original state. How long that lasts, I don't know.

Now with a line that is Marginal to start with, you do need to test at the NID (to get outside DSL Stats to compare with DSL Stats from inside) to make sure you don't have something interfering with the inside wiring since it is extra sensitive being on the borderline to begin with. What would not affect a good line could drop your line in half or more easily and there are many things that are taken for granted that can do that (a huge list).

»EarthLink DSL FAQ »How do I test at my NID? What does it look like?

Regards,

Doctor Olds