All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wwepatriot
join:2008-01-17

wwepatriot

Earthlink is a bad service

I signed up for Earthlink and DSL service in February I believe it was, they sent me DSL kit and all the works, right then is when I experienced constant D/C's then eventually it cleared up to stayed that way for a while, at $39.95 for a 1.5 service, I would expect good help at that cost.

Well recently I decided to signup for DSL service through At&t which is a very reliable service with DSL Extreme 6 speed at just $4 more and got 3 times the speed then what I was paying for a slow 1.5 service with Earthlink. Well come last month before I signed up with at&t Earthlink sent me invoice for a bill totaling $17 and some change, I disputed where this was coming from and I could not get a straight answer, the most they could tell me was something about card wasnt charged or something they couldnt prove, why was $17 and some change was the fishy part considering first 3 months of DSL was $12.95 and then 4th month and on its $39.95, so where is this $17 and change amount coming from? Since I use a prepaid debit card I looked back at my records and saw no missed payment, well this is where things started getting bad, it was shortly after this point my DSL service went down as if they terminated it, repeated calls to Earthlink was nothing more then recycling the same information over and over with no solution to the problem, they gave me a ticket number to have a tech call me, never did, short time later I got my At&t stuff in, noting; the At&t line was never active before the DSL went out. Just yesterday I get an invoice from Earthlink, stating that it was an early termination fee and that I was to pay $167.00 or whatever it is, so....... I emailed earthlink back and told them. For starters I have service that didnt work, you then terminate my DSL not long after I HAd paid for that month, tech never called me, that bill is going to set there because it aint getting paid.

This is the type of business they run apparently, none of the bastards can speak english either.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

You only have 30 days (1 month) to decide to cancel EL DSL, not 5 months later from January when you joined. By canceling 5 months after the first 30 days were up, you are being accessed the ETF that you agreed to by using the service (using the service means you agree to the terms of the contract otherwise if you do not agree to the terms, you have to stop using the service, send back the modem and cancel the first day). You did read the contract you agreed to when you first signed up, correct?

»www.earthlink.net/about/ ··· sa.faces
quote:
4.5 CANCELLATIONS AND RETURNED MERCHANDISE
The following applies to DSL, Home Networking, Wireless Email, MailStation and Municipal WiFi Services only:

All equipment returns must have an EarthLink provided shipping label or they will be rejected.

If you cancel your account and return all equipment within 30 days of your shipping date (the date EarthLink mails your equipment), EarthLink will refund all fees incurred to date, excluding postage and handling (and activation fee for MailStation), if you return all equipment provided to you by EarthLink in their original packaging (or equivalent) using an EarthLink supplied return shipping label. EarthLink will not refund any fees after 30 days of your shipping date. EarthLink will mail you a shipping label upon cancellation and will not accept returns without an EarthLink supplied shipping label.

If after 30 days of your original shipping date you are dissatisfied with the Service or any related terms, conditions, rules, policies, guidelines, or practices, your sole remedy is to discontinue using the Service, cancel your account, and pay any cancellation fees that apply. Cancellation will be effective at the end of the current billing period in which notice of cancellation is received. Upon cancellation, email service will be terminated and all files stored on EarthLink servers will be deleted.
They will take you to collections if you do not pay your bill. Calling AT&T to order DSL does not relieve you of your contractual agreement with EL.

UPDATE: I see it was January 17th, 2008 that you posted and were told that you only had 30 days to decide if it was satisfactory or not:

»Just bought Earthlink DSL Service

Regards,

Doctor Olds
wwepatriot

wwepatriot

heres the problem, I never canceled.

The DSL service went out and never came back, technician never called, ticket was still being serviced everytime I called, then all of a sudden a bill comes up for $17.67 or whatever which was wrong and they cant tell me with a straight face what the $17 something is for.

its been about a month since this has happened with no information from them about whats going on, they just yesterday sent me a bill with termination fee in it, if you ask me they broke the contract.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

said by wwepatriot:

heres the problem, I never canceled.

The DSL service went out and never came back, technician never called, ticket was still being serviced everytime I called, then all of a sudden a bill comes up for $17.67 or whatever which was wrong and they cant tell me with a straight face what the $17 something is for.

its been about a month since this has happened with no information from them about whats going on, they just yesterday sent me a bill with termination fee in it, if you ask me they broke the contract.
You ordered Bellsouth/AT&T 1 month ago and you changed phone providers which is a breach of contract with both which you were aware of I see. The EL DSL contract you agreed to states you must keep Bellsouth/AT&T as the telephone provider to keep the EL DSL working. You changing your telephone service provider is exactly what generated the EL DSL cancellation which happens to everyone that disconnects/changes the required telephone service while under contract or not. By not notifying EL that you were changing providers (which they would have told you that you cannot do while under contract), you terminated your contract.

»[Xtreme] Just got DSL Extreme 6
said by wwepatriot:

Questions I got;

why does my download speed on the test sometimes go to 6.4k KBPS? it says my line downstream is 8200 or somethign KBPS, could this be it?

anyway I am wondering is this service a stand alone DSL service? I currently dont have phone service with AT&T but I got phone service with another provider.

I am asking this because I am thinking about getting Magic Jack phone service which works off the internet www.magicjack.com
You knew this would do that, as it was pointed out when asked in January.

»Will EL DSL Work with No Phone Service?

You broke the contract and owe the fees.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
wwepatriot

wwepatriot

I never switched Phone Providers either, see my Phone service is setup through Budget Phone, my internet at the time was setup through Earthlink, all of this happened before ordering Bellsouth DSL, this was happening before AT&T turned on the DSL line to my house for access. I got AT&T quickly because I already had a modem from previous service with them.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Earthlink will not accept your DSL order unless it was connected to a Bellsouth/AT&T line at the time of order and provisioning in January (it would have come back as rejected). You even asked in January if you had to have the Bellsouth/AT&T phone service for the EL DSL to work and were told yes.

wwepatriot See Profile started these topics in the last 180 days : most recent first.
»Earthlink is a bad service
»[Xtreme] Just got DSL Extreme 6
»Earthlink a bunch of liars
»Just bought Earthlink DSL Service
»Will EL DSL Work with No Phone Service?

Regards,

Doctor Olds
wwepatriot

wwepatriot

no according to the contract you have to have a phone service and it cannot be interrupted, I never asked if you had to have AT&T phone service to use EL, You just have to have a landline phone service to use Earthlink, you dont have to have Bellsouth/AT&T.

The question I was asking was totally different from that. I still have Budget Phone Service in January when I ordered DSL, I still got Budget Phone service now.

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

Don't know what you actually have and it is not really a factor now since you have caused, by your multiple deliberate actions, your have your EL DSL disconnected before the 12 month contract expired and after the 30 Day Trial period has expired. The fact is you have to have Telephone service with a "EarthLink's DSL vendor partner" to have Earthlink DSL and that alone made you break your contract since the list is short only showing AT&T, Qwest and Verizon. You are under the full terms of said contract as you are the party breaching the contract. Not calling to update them is no excuse either.

»www.earthlink.net/access ··· sl.faces
Click on "Learn More" and this pops up as part of a new box
quote:
Is my monthly phone service included in the EarthLink DSL Internet charges?
No. Your DSL connection will use your existing phone line, but phone service will still be provided by your phone company (unless you switch to our EarthLink DSL & Home Phone Service). Your regular monthly telephone service charges are not included in EarthLink DSL service. Please see our Service Agreement for complete details.

What should I do if I want to change local or long-distance phone companies?
Please give EarthLink a call at 1-866-226-0572 in order to avoid any interruption to your service. Switching your local or long-distance service could permanently disconnect your EarthLink DSL, depending on who EarthLink's DSL vendor partner is in your area.

What should I do if I want to change the phone number my DSL is installed on?
If you want to change your DSL phone number, please contact us first. We will need to place a new order for you in order to provide DSL service on your new phone number.

wwepatriot

wwepatriot

I dont know if budget phone is an EL partner or not, but they should of never accepted the order if Budget Phone is not a partner. They let it go for 6 months, and I didnt D/C it, they did. All I can say is they are going to scratch their ass because that $170 wont get paid either.

WTF you mean by calling to update them? I had Budget Phone when I ordered the DSL, and I still have it till this day 6 months later.
wwepatriot

2 edits

wwepatriot to Doctor Olds

to Doctor Olds
yeah I ordered it when DSL decided to D/C me and not solve the problem.
I said this happened before i ordered DSL.

furthermore EL broke the contract anyway, not me, they going to be looking for someone to pay that $170 because I sure the hell aint paying it.
Expand your moderator at work

Doctor Olds
Premium Member
1970 442 W30

2 edits

Doctor Olds to wwepatriot

Premium Member

to wwepatriot

Re: Earthlink is a bad service

You are the person that orders AT&T DSL while in the 5th month of your Earthlink Contract. You have documented your actions well enough. You have been advised that EL will come after you for the bill and if you want to claim waiting on a phone call from a tech or any of your inactions absolves you of your contract, good luck with that.