spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jnaarnold

@..x.216.in-addr.arpa

Slow DSL--using wireless Netopia router....was fine on ether

We just bought a house and had Northstate come and hook up our internet. They installed a wireless router and the download speeds are averaging 88kbps?? Before, at the old house with a wired router I was getting 348kbps. When I do the speed test here it shows 650kbps on average. I am running Vista Ultimate x64 AMD 5600, 4GB ram...etc. I have an ASUS motherboard and am using the Wi-Fi on their board...any thoughts?? Thanks..
John

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
Bad wireless router would be my guess. Call up their tech support and tell them.

jnaarnold

@..x.216.in-addr.arpa
reply to jnaarnold
Well, now it is hooked up via LAN cable...same results...slow downloads and good speeds via dsl reports speed tests... anything?

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
said by jnaarnold :

Well, now it is hooked up via LAN cable...same results...slow downloads and good speeds via dsl reports speed tests... anything?
What exactly do you mean by "slow speeds?"

jnaarnold

@..x.216.in-addr.arpa
reply to jnaarnold
well, when I download from my 'usual' newsgroup... speeds are at max 88kbps.Also, when downloading files, like programs drivers or updates, max speed is 88kbps...give or take a few kb...but no more than 88....

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
But your speed tests show 640Kbps?

I'd contact your newsgroup provider. Is it North State or a third party?

jnaarnold

@..x.216.in-addr.arpa
reply to jnaarnold
Well, I don't think it is entirely the newsgroup.....you see if I go to download.com and try and download a file there...same thing... is there a different protocol for downloading via the web...verses say a the way dsl reports does??

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
said by jnaarnold :

Well, I don't think it is entirely the newsgroup.....you see if I go to download.com and try and download a file there...same thing... is there a different protocol for downloading via the web...verses say a the way dsl reports does??
Are you using the DSLReports flash or Java based speed test?

Download.com is slow as dirt. Download this file »ftp://ftp1.optonline.net/test512 and note the speed at the 50% mark, then download iTunes from »www.itunes.com/ and note the speed.

If you get good speeds from both of those, it the newsgroup server you're using.

jnaarnold

@northstate.net
reply to jnaarnold
still slow speeds at both locations...thanks....I will call them tomorrow...do you think it could be in my line? Also, what pair are used for DSL?? Red/Green? Thanks for all your help Matt

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
said by jnaarnold :

still slow speeds at both locations...thanks....I will call them tomorrow...do you think it could be in my line? Also, what pair are used for DSL?? Red/Green? Thanks for all your help Matt
I'm not actually sure as I am in a community they serve with their Lightstar Fiber Optic service.

Please post back here and let me know the results.

jnaarnold

@northstate.net
reply to jnaarnold
Called tech last night, everything is ok on their end....I must have something weird here either software or hardware....any suggestions?
John

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
said by jnaarnold :

Called tech last night, everything is ok on their end....I must have something weird here either software or hardware....any suggestions?
John
Have you run a Spyware/Adware/Trojan check? Simply scanning with anti-virus won't work.

»Security Cleanup

Go to that forum and ask them to help you get scanned to see if you have any malware that is slowing you down. You may be spewing out spam!

Brutarius

@northstate.net
reply to jnaarnold
I had the same problem after I was switched to wireless Netopia modem.

I called tech support and they had me to do the flash report on dslreports, it came back with 680Kbps -- but when I downloaded files (from my Northstate Web space, no less) it was 88Kbps, not acceptable.

They referred it to some techs and I got a phone call two hours later. Now I'm running at more acceptable download speed, but still nowhere near the numbers that dslreports is giving me.

jnaarnold

@..x.216.in-addr.arpa
reply to jnaarnold
That is exactly what is happening here.... I really need some help...it is driving me nuts....it was not like this before I moved. I have just the dsl modem hooked up now, no wireless router. hmmm, what gives? Anyone no where else I could post this? Thanks again... Oh, and I tried all the security cleanup...I feel I am clean now...
John

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
reply to jnaarnold
What does the Java speed test show?
Expand your moderator at work

jnaarnold

@..x.216.in-addr.arpa
reply to jnaarnold

Re: Slow DSL--using wireless Netopia router....was fine on ether

655 down, 405 up... very consistent with all my speed tests.... I'm leaning towards some Vista configuration or something....

jnaarnold

@..x.216.in-addr.arpa
reply to jnaarnold
just ran one Matt...655kbps download/405kbps upload....

jnaarnold

join:2008-07-12
Trinity, NC
reply to jnaarnold
Heres my line test.....man this is getting frustrating...!!
»/linequality/nil/2406136

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
reply to jnaarnold
That is very odd. Your line quality test doesn't look right at all.

Have you installed SP1 for Vista?

jnaarnold

join:2008-07-12
Trinity, NC
reply to jnaarnold
yes, installed it last night...at 1:00 am.....

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
Ok, to summarize:

1) North State says everything is fine?
2) You get poor download speeds from your newsgroups and the iTunes/FTP links I posted?
3) The speed tests here report about 600Kbps?

Is that correct? What speed package did you purchase?