how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SigEp1995

join:2000-11-17
Alumni Hall

Any Cat Lovers Here?

Hey all . . . don't really post much around here these days, but I mainly lurk. I'm just throwing something up to see if anyone or if you know of anyone who would be interested in having a pet cat.

A couple of weeks ago, a cat had wandered into our back porch and my girlfriend decided to befriend it by giving it some food and water. Well, it turns out that he has now adopted us and he's currently living on our porch. He's really friendly and he knows how to use a litter box. So, he's not feral. We've tried calling all of the shelters and humane societies to see if they'll take him, but all of them are basically full. Rather than euthanizing him, we would prefer he goes to a loving home. The only bad part about him is that he's not neutered.

We can't keep him since she already has a high maintenance cat and I can't really afford to take care of another animal since I already have 2 dogs of my own.

So, any takers or know of someone that could direct us in the right direction to get this cat adopted?
--
| Sigma Phi Epsilon | My Ride |

IPingUPing
N4BFR
Premium
join:2002-08-30
Atlanta, GA

Les and Bailey
I don't know the name, but there is a group that operates out of the PetSmart on Cobb Parkway in Smyrna that may do adoptions.

Another resource would be to call your vet, I have found them to be helpful when I was looking for adoptions.

I would volunteer but we have two new 9 week old cats (above) that just came home with us from the Cobb County shelter last week.

SigEp1995

Alumni Hall
Thanks for the response. The vet I used to go to is located in Stockbridge. Since I've moved to Sandy Springs, I haven't found a new vet yet. We've tried calling Petsmart around here and the adoption group they use said that they didn't have any room either. I can give the one located on Cobb Pkwy a call to see if they'll take something. However, a lot of the shelters and humane societies will not take a pet if you're not a resident of that particular county. That's where we hit a road block.
--

technick
Premium
join:2000-12-16
Wheat Ridge, CO
kudos:1
reply to SigEp1995
A friend told me a couple of years ago; if you ever want an animal rescue to take a cat off your hands, tell them that the previous owners of the cat passed away and their are no relatives to claim him/her. They almost always take cats like that since they are not "wild".

And yes, I am a cat lover and I have reached my limit of animals.

--
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall." - Confucius

Bellsouth Free Since 10/05 - To Hell With Bellsouth
Advocatus Diaboli

Streamfire.net

skj
Welcome to the far side of reality
Premium,Mod
join:2002-04-04
Gone South
kudos:1
reply to SigEp1995
I would call some more Petsmarts. They use different rescue agencies, so one might be able to take him.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA
reply to SigEp1995
Have you tried Furkids? »www.furkids.org/

SigEp1995

Alumni Hall

1 edit
Yes, she has called Fur Kids and they said that they're full, too. She also said that she had gone down the list on »www.spotsociety.org/atl_shelter_list.htm website and none of them will take him in due to being full or us not being residents of the counties.

As a result, he still hangs out on our porch and gets fed daily. He does go out during the evenings and comes back on our porch in the mornings.
--

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium
join:2005-07-01
Atlanta, GA

1 edit
reply to SigEp1995
I ended up adopting the stray at my apartment. She showed up sometime last February, a very skinny kitten. She was so friendly, wanted to be petted and loved on. I began putting out food and water every day (and so did a neighbor), so she began sleeping on our porch. Some days I wouldn't see her, but most days she was there wanting some attention. When I decided to move, I realized I couldn't just abandon her, so one morning when she was outside waiting for food, I placed her in my carrier and took her to the vet. She was checked out, given her shots and tests and a clean bill of health. Surprisingly, she'd already been spayed by someone. I also had her microchiped. She became an indoor-only cat that day, and has since made friends with my other cat (that took about a month of hissing).

On a sadder note, there was another stray at my apartment that I'd been feeding, but it was an old, very sickly looking cat. After nearly a year it still would not let me near it, but would be there to eat every day. It was losing a lot of fur, had some obvious arthritis problems in its hips, and even though it was eating most every day it was still very skinny, almost a bag of bones. It just broke my heart every time I saw it. It had evidently been an abandoned cat for a very very long time. Now that I am not there to put out food, I wonder what has become of it. I only called it "old grey cat"... If anyone lives in the vicinity of Myrtle St and 7th St and knows of the cat I mention, I hope you can find it in your heart to put some food out for it.

--
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image.
- Stephen Hawking

SigEp1995

Alumni Hall

1 edit
reply to SigEp1995
Just an update for those who may be following this thread. I'm sad to say that I was not able to find anyone or shelter to give him a loving home so I had dropped him off at the Fulton County Animal Services place that's run by the Barking Hound Village this afternoon. I figured it wouldn't hurt as bad now rather than later when we would become further attached. Before I took him, I held him and petted him for awhile.

On the way there, he kept meowing and when we finally got there, he had quieted down. I stuck my finger through one of the ventilation holes and he had rubbed his face on it. So sad. I just hope someone would adopt him as he is the nicest stray kitty I've met thus far and pretty well behaved.
--