uniqs
PerVices
join:2008-07-08

2 edits

PerVices to Anonymous Coward

to Anonymous Coward

Re: How to defeat the throttle

Hi,

We have posted a guide on a possible method to overcome the Bell Canada throttle. It is available here:

»pervices.com/docs/thrott ··· rief.pdf

It include sample configurations for uTorrent and KTorrent.

We would be interested if this technique works for you. Note that it may take a while to work, as it is possible that the DPI device 'remembers' if you use BitTorrent.

So far, we have used this method to use peer-to-peer communication over a third party ISP network (Tek Savvy). We do not know if this will work for Sympatico customers.

If this technique works for you, we would very much appreciate you telling us your ISP name, so we can learn more about how Bell Canada throttles traffic.

Please note that we use Linux exclusively, so we may not be the best source for uTorrent questions (uTorrent is a windows client).

Warm Regards,

Victor Wollesen
Applied Research
Per Vices Corporation

Superhero Smith
@dsl.bell.ca

Superhero Smith

Anon

Thanks, PerVices!

Followed your instructions for utorrent... didn't work until I rebooted the DSL modem, resetting the connection...a standard Bell Sympatico connection. WOOO!

Spread the word, it'll work if you do it right. Let's make them eat their tyranny just in case the CRTC doesn't.

tyrnnsrs
join:2007-09-26
Hamilton, ON

tyrnnsrs to PerVices

to PerVices
Awesome, thanks a bunch for posting this. I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I really enjoyed reading your submission to the CRTC, you made a lot of good points. I really hope this will be over soon.

moggy
join:2006-01-08
Peterborough, ON

moggy to Anonymous Coward

to Anonymous Coward
Woot works for me went form 30kb/s to 300kb/s
using utorrent 1.8 11200 bell 2wire 2701hg modem
4 days left on my bell connection and then my TekSavvy account activates .
Jorge23
join:2007-09-11
Toronto

Jorge23 to Anonymous Coward

to Anonymous Coward
Worked in BitComet 0.93 too.

Switch listen port to 1723.

And go to Advanced>Connection and beside protocol encryption put "always".

Of course you'll have to set up your ports for whatever client you use. Instructions on how to do so @ www.portforward.com

Thanks guys.

Mr_Derp
join:2004-11-10
Plainfield, ON

2 edits

Mr_Derp to Anonymous Coward

to Anonymous Coward
After failing in utorrent/xp...
I've rebooted into ubuntu hardy and installed ktorrent and set it up using port 1723.
I can confirm going from 25K/s in xp to running at full line speeed in ubuntu. It didn't work initally, so i power cycled my 6520 and was up to full speed within 45 seconds.

Thanks perverts! You're the shit!

**strangely enough, i've just rebooted back into xp and now it seems to run once again at full speed.
I haven't changed anything in my settings, it just seems to be working now without any further intervention other than it running port 1723 in utorrent.

oh yeah, and I submitted this to Digg...
BellACancer
join:2008-06-04

BellACancer to Anonymous Coward

to Anonymous Coward
Ça ne fonctionne absolument pas pour moi.

J'ai suivi attentivement les instructions. J'utilisais déjà l'encryption avant les modifications du document et ma vitesse était d'environ 80 kb/s. Maintenant, elle n'est plus que de 40 kb/s.

Même le numéro de port dans le PDF indique 1753 mais partout ailleurs, c'est écris 1723. Une autre erreur bizarre ?

Bon, j'ai essayé les 2 ports, j'ai éteint/rallumé le modem (je n'ai pas de routeur). La vitesse n'augmente pas.

Absolutely doesn't work for me.

I followed instructions very carefully. I was using encrpytion prior to these modifications and my speed was about 80 kb/s and now, after that, it's down to 40 kb/s max.

Even the port number in the pdf indicates 1753 but in the news front page, it says 1723. Some weird mistakes ?

Anyway, I tried both ports and tried with reset modem (I don't have a router). The speed won't increase.

tyrnnsrs
join:2007-09-26
Hamilton, ON

tyrnnsrs to Jorge23

to Jorge23
My only concern with having forced encryption on is that you can only connect and transfer to other people who also have encryption enabled. I have found before when doing that that it is more difficult to get transfers going at a decent speed.
But I guess nowadays more and more people are using encryption for torrent transfers so maybe this will become less of an issue.
Bell_Abused
join:2006-10-07

Bell_Abused to BellACancer

to BellACancer
said by BellACancer:

Bon, j'ai essayé les 2 ports, j'ai éteint/rallumé le modem (je n'ai pas de routeur). La vitesse n'augmente pas.

Try the dirtections given here in this PDF:
»pervices.com/docs/thrott ··· rief.pdf

If it still fails, dunno.
svtcanuk
join:2006-01-14

svtcanuk

Are these port number (1723, 500,50,51) the same for a Mac?

yopliat
@mc.videotron.ca

yopliat

Anon

said by svtcanuk:

It would be standard for any OS/platform
mulambo187
join:2008-06-18
North York, ON

mulambo187 to Anonymous Coward

to Anonymous Coward
so yeah yesterday this method didn't work for me, but a power cycle of the modem seems to have done the trick. its 7pm in Toronto right now, and i was getting 200kB/s+ down from a private tracker. normally this particular torrent would max out my connection but i think with the forced encryption, it must cut out a lot of the available peers? anyhow a lot better then 20-60kB/s

cheers
svtcanuk

svtcanuk to yopliat

to yopliat
said by yopliat :

said by svtcanuk:

It would be standard for any OS/platform
I had a lot of problems with 500, 50, 51, Azurreus kept reporting the ports unavailable. I have no idea what program is using the ports. I used 1701 instead and everything is working now.
PerVices

PerVices to BellACancer

to BellACancer
Dear BellACancer,

We've added some notes to our initial document speculating on why this works for some people. It is available at the same link as the original.

Could you please find out if you have unthrottled VPN access?

Specifically, see if, when connecting through a VPN, you are throttled. If you are, please let us know.

Warm regards,

Victor Wollesen
Applied Research
Per Vices Corporation
svtcanuk

svtcanuk

Would you like us to let you know in this forum or via an email?

Throttled Man
@dsl.bell.ca

Throttled Man

Anon

So do we need to change the setting back to default when we are not getting throttled or leave this setting permanent?

Thanks in advance

Anonymuzz
@dsl.bell.ca

Anonymuzz to Anonymous Coward

Anon

to Anonymous Coward
It appears as if this temporarily works (for upwards to a few hours) before I'm throttled again. Restarting the modem seems to remedy this momentarily, but it appears as if the throttling has started back up again as of this post.
mulambo187
join:2008-06-18
North York, ON

mulambo187 to Anonymous Coward

to Anonymous Coward

false hopes im still throttled too

yeah this technique seemed to work hitting 200kb/s for a bit, but watching the speed tab in utorrent i can clearly see that around 9pm to 1am i was capped at around 20kB/s down and between 1 and 2am it was 40kB/s and for the rest of the night i never broke 200kB/s, and honestly i probably should have hit 450kB/s at least a few times with these torrents and my connection. bell u suck!!!

ardo
join:2001-12-20
North York, ON

ardo to Anonymous Coward

to Anonymous Coward

Didn't work for me (DD-WRT on the router, ST516 modem). I reset the modem & started downloading Ubuntu with 300+ peers available, got the usual throttled 25-30K download speed. Tried again this morning & was downloading at full speed. In addition, utorrent now says that my ports are closed, even though nothing is reported in router log and in Outpost software firewall log. I did change my port forwarding settings in the router & firewall rules, but utorrent reports that 1723 is closed.
PerVices

PerVices to Anonymous Coward

to Anonymous Coward

To those who are still throttled

Do you have unthrottled VPN access? Or is that being throttled too?

Deadpool0
Go Sens Go
Premium Member
join:2001-03-29
Canada

Deadpool0 to ardo

Premium Member

to ardo

I do believe that you may be actually bypassing the throttling, however at the same time, I also believe that because the configuration is set to "Forced Encryption" and also to not allow legacy connections, that you'll only be able to download from those who also (at least), have Encryption enabled.

I tested this myself last night and was successful, however I never able to max out my download speeds (never went over 100 KBps). But my upload maxed out within a minute and stayed that way.

Again, my understanding of how BT works leads me to believe that it will only work well if there are many seeds/peers who also have Encryption enabled. Otherwise, it doesn't.

Neenja
@dsl.bell.ca

Neenja to Anonymous Coward

Anon

to Anonymous Coward
Godly 400+ kbps i thank you so much, finally.
lesurfer
join:2008-06-28

lesurfer to Anonymous Coward

to Anonymous Coward
Nice, getting full speeds now.
Thank you OP and whoever discovered the method.

MrMichael
@dsl.ucc-net.ca

MrMichael to Anonymous Coward

Anon

to Anonymous Coward
The next obvious question then:

Will this work for cable isp's also (Shaw/Rogers)?

ardo
join:2001-12-20
North York, ON

ardo to Deadpool0

to Deadpool0
said by Deadpool0:

Again, my understanding of how BT works leads me to believe that it will only work well if there are many seeds/peers who also have Encryption enabled. Otherwise, it doesn't.
Makes sense. I rarely download well-seeded torrents. After fixing my port forwarding problem (I totally forgot that my ST516 is no longer in bridge mode, duh), I re-ran my test with an Ubuntu download and DID see a difference. Like you said, downloads never maxed out, but the uploads did. So the 'hack' appears to be working.

Then again, since most of my torrents aren't well-seeded, I may as well stop wasting time

Mr_Derp
join:2004-11-10
Plainfield, ON

2 edits

Mr_Derp to Deadpool0

to Deadpool0
Well deadpool, it's a good thing the majority of folks that use Private Sites also use encrypted clients.
I've been able to max out my DL 600+K/s many times, you just have to get your shit from educated swarms.

Also, check out »eztv.it even the site is in SSL

So how does Bell like that we're getting around your demon boxes with minimal effort? Good call spending all that money when it can be circumvented with a few keystrokes and a reset of the modem every now and then BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
AmirDaTSME
join:2008-06-16

4 edits

AmirDaTSME to Anonymous Coward

to Anonymous Coward
all i can say sweeet :might i add i'm on 16max s0o called sympatico best got too offer internet, anyways changed port # i only can get 500 well max :P if i'm lucky and for some reason my upload keep switching on me i put low it goes higher ? thanks for the tip anyways once again I say THIS SITE ROCKS !!!!

Deadpool0
Go Sens Go
Premium Member
join:2001-03-29
Canada

Deadpool0 to Mr_Derp

Premium Member

to Mr_Derp
I disagree that most Private Sites use encrypted clients. I use a few and have yet to be able to max out my connection with very well seeded torrents.

Also, according to recent research, only 20% of total BT users even use encryption.

That aside, those in the Teksavvy forum had a workaround figured out for quite some time now by using MLPPP.
svtcanuk

svtcanuk

said by Deadpool0:

That aside, those in the Teksavvy forum had a workaround figured out for quite some time now by using MLPPP.
To bad we can't do this

DS8
IT Consultant
Premium Member
join:2007-01-19
Thunder Bay, ON

DS8 to Anonymous Coward

Premium Member

to Anonymous Coward
I have done my own testing while on Bell's 16mbit ADSLv2 service and I have been able to max out my connection completely by using BT via encryption on stated ports from many different sources as long as there was allot of seeds present.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 13702 kbps (1712.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 803 kbps (100.4 KB/sec transfer rate)