spc
Search similar:

uniqs

slyphoxj
join:2002-06-23
united state

1 edit

slyphoxj

Do I really have to use Honda fluids in my Accord??

It's time again for another oil change... and my first brake fluid replacement on my 05 Accord LX. The owner's manual says that I need to use Honda DOT3 brake fluid and not just any ol' DOT3 fluid. The manual says that non-Honda DOT3 fluid could cause corrosion and reduce the life of the braking system. It says that regular DOT3 can be used as a temporary replacement, but must be flushed and replaced with Honda brake fluid ASAP.

Same goes for the auto transmission fluid and the coolant also I believe... use non-Honda fluids as temporary replaecments until you can replace them with the "real deal" from Honda.

It it really necessary to use Honda fluids, or is the manual just saying this to scare people into unnecessarily forming over more $$ to Honda and its dealerships? I don't recall the manuals for my previous cars ('97 Corolla, '86 Century) saying such a thing. It would be nice if I could avoid the dealer, but I don't want to have to spend more $$ down the line to fix damage caused by using "inferior" fluids.

EDIT: Fixed a typo, made the subject line catchier.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

If they say it will reduce or void the Warranty then they have to supply it for free is my understanding.

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
»www.mlmlaw.com/library/g ··· rmag.htm
quote:
"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

misterjda
join:2007-12-03
Wheaton, IL

misterjda to slyphoxj

to slyphoxj
Your car is already out of warranty, right? If not it's close.

My understanding is that Honda brake fluid is similar to Quaker State Heavy Duty... basically it has a high dry boiling temp. I think you would be fine with pretty much any Dot3 unless you've got an extended warranty to worry about maintaining.

I don't know if there's a difference with the ATF and coolant, but when I had my Honda, I went and got the fluids from the dealer, and then gave them to my mechanic to use. The first time I got the ATF changed, the dealer actually did not use Honda ATF (they said I had to ask for it, and I didn't), and it definitely affected the shifting... it was much rougher.
Expand your moderator at work

Rifleman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-09
p1a

Rifleman to slyphoxj

Premium Member

to slyphoxj

Re: Do I really have to use Honda fluids in my Accord??

Only time I HAD to use the honda oil was during the break in period. It had some sort of addititve to track wear--or so they said.
I do not think you must use their oil---just make sure the specs are the same.

miscnick
@verizon.net

miscnick

Anon

Google Honda ATF Z-1

You'll get a *few* hits

This is a decent breakdown of Japanese OEM fluids.
»www.artsautomotive.com/G ··· uids.htm

*note*
There are easily as many American and Euro OEM fluids...if not more.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

4 edits

Grumpy4 to slyphoxj

Premium Member

to slyphoxj
Aside from engine oils, I think you'll find many dealer supplied & known to be correct fluids are very close in price to aftermarket fluids. If we're talking $5 or $10 per year to go with known to be correct OEM fluids vs. "I'm not 100% sure of compatibility" aftermarket fluids, I'd want to go with OEM if only for the peace of mind.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to slyphoxj

Premium Member

to slyphoxj

said by slyphoxj:

It's time again for another oil change... and my first brake fluid replacement on my 05 Accord LX. The owner's manual says that I need to use Honda DOT3 brake fluid and not just any ol' DOT3 fluid.

Same goes for the auto transmission fluid and the coolant also I believe... use non-Honda fluids as temporary replaecments until you can replace them with the "real deal" from Honda
As long as you *exactly* match specifications, then Branded by Honda products are not required when the Aftermarket also has it available. On locked products you can find ways to get it without paying Dealer Pricing.

On the Trans Fluid, since it is a newer specification and may be still under vendor/manufacturer lock, you do have to use the proper specification, but you don't have to buy it from a Honda Dealer these days.

»www.odyclub.com/forums/s ··· id=42855
said by Robert :
I found out from someone on Hondasuv.com that Carquest has started selling actual Honda AFT-Z1 automatic transmission fluid. Apparently the Carquest company bought another company named WPC which was an import parts warehouse. And one of their many products stored there is true Honda ATF-Z1. I went down yesterday and gave the local Carquest guys the product # which is 'WPC Z800188443OES' and they ordered a case and sure enough it is the actual bottles from Honda. My cost was $5.75 per quart which undercuts my nearest honda place by more than $2 per quart. I also now only have to drive 2 miles instead of 45 miles. Very cool for me.

misterjda
join:2007-12-03
Wheaton, IL

misterjda

There is also this place:

»www.handa-accessories.co ··· t03.html

Similar pricing (based on the ATF) but you'll have to pay shipping.
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

fixrman to slyphoxj

Premium Member

to slyphoxj

Dot 3 brake fluid is DOT 3 - period. DOT stands for U.S. Department of Transportation, and it is a standard. All glycol-based brake fluids are compatible, even with silicon - to a point. Some seals will be damaged in the presence of silicone-based fluids. Basically, what the vehicle calls for should be strictly adhered to. Never use DOT3 in a vehicle that calls for DOT 4.

Coolant:
MM

There is a great table that doesn't seem to render on this site, therefore the link.

Magnusson-Moss does have a provision for coolant, vis a vis allowing aftermarket coolant.

slyphoxj
united state

slyphoxj

Thanks everyone for the replies!

TheHarvester
Premium Member
join:2006-08-25
Dana Point, CA

TheHarvester to slyphoxj

Premium Member

to slyphoxj
The ONLY thing I would use "genuine Honda fluid" is the trans fluid. We use the same Dot3 fluid for ALL Dot3 vehicles. Same with the coolant. Been doing it for 15 years at this shop and never had a Honda come back, let alone all of them with brake system problems.

Irun Man
Premium Member
join:2002-10-18
Millsboro, DE

1 edit

Irun Man to slyphoxj

Premium Member

to slyphoxj
Honda 5W-20 motor oil is nothing more than repackaged Exxon Mobil motor oil, API service grade SM. AHM warns against changing the oil for the first time until the maintenance minder says to; that was 6000 miles on my 2006 Accord, 8000 on our 2006 CR-V. Once you get past that first oil change, any API SM 5W-20 motor oil would be OK.

Honda coolant (at least in 2006) is blue in color, and I believe non-silicated. It's supposed to not require service for the first five years or 110000 miles of driving, IIRC. I bought a gallon of that to top off the systems until then.

Regarding brake fluid, if you're covered by an extended warranty you probably want to use the Honda branded DOT3 fluid anyway; it probably won't cost much more than the same product from an aftermarket supplier.

slyphoxj
united state

1 edit

slyphoxj

I wimped out and went to the Honda dealer where I got my Accord to get my brake fluid changed. It was ~$106 plus tax and shop supplies. I also got an oil change. Total bill was around $160 plus ~$30 for a cabin air filter from the parts dept. (see below).

If I hadn't have gone there, I would have gone to Conrad's (local tire shop and auto service chain). Not sure if Conrad's would have been any cheaper though.

Sunnyside Honda also tried to get me to change my cabin filter element for $83, even though I didn't mention any issues with the AC/heater/ventilation system nor did I ask them to check it. I easily did myself for just a bit less than $30 (I got the filter from their parts dept. while I was waiting ). Dunno why they charge $50 labor for this . They also said my engine air filter box needed replacement because they couldn't get the screws loose to check the air filter (they blamed Conrad's). I declined this.

EDIT: Should also mention I had them do a brake inspection for $12, so the $160 above includes that also.