spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

electropower

join:2008-07-09
Shelton, CT

Comcast HSI: DHG535 - Advanced Configuration ???

I am trying to find more info on the RCA/Thomson DHG535 cable modem/gateway. I can access the Basic configuration page by connecting to 192.168.100.1. I would like to be able to see the advanced config, if possible.

My guess is that Comcast has locked the config down on the DHG535 so the consumer can't access the advanced parameters, but I hope that I'm wrong.

yurkinator

join:2007-07-30
Newark, DE

1 edit

You cannot access the advanced section. It requires a password which changes daily. What were you looking for in there?

electropower

Shelton, CT

Being a test engineer and a tinkerer, I enjoy exploring datacom equipment. I like knowing the full capabilities of the equipment, so that I don't have to rely on incompetent techs (no offense to the good techs out there) when a problem arises. I also worked for several months at a DSL service provider in the network ops center.

I am trying to troubleshoot a cable modem problem for my neighbor - the Comcast techs haven't been able to figure it out. My neighbor recently had the DHG535 installed with the triple-play package. He has no firewall/router, just a direct connection to his PC. His PC cannot always acquire an IP address via DHCP. The few times that it did acquire one, the connection speed was at a crawl. One Comcast tech connected his laptop to the DHG535, and got an IP, and was able to surf with fast connection speed. So, the tech blamed my neighbor's PC. I tried a different Ethernet NIC card in his PC, no dice. I took my neighbor's PC to my house, and connected it to my Comcast HSI (no triple play - I have an old Toshiba PCX 1100 cable modem, connected to a Buffalo firewall router running DD-WRT.) My neighbor's PC was able to get an IP address immediately from my router, and excellent speed.

Now, I am at loss as to what the problem could be. My next step is to connect my spare Netgear firewall/router to my neighbor's DHG535 to see if the Netgear is able to acquire an IP address from Comcast. I will probably have to clone the DHG535's MAC address to the Netgear router.

yurkinator

join:2007-07-30
Newark, DE

Yeah thats a strange issue. Dunno really what the problem could be.

Have you tried USB?

I can tell you that the advanced section of the MTA would not help you in this situation though. It is mostly for telephony and would only show you the bootfile for CHSI.

testguyct

join:2007-06-05

Thanks for the info, yurkinator. I'll see how it goes with the Netgear router ...

electropower

Shelton, CT
reply to yurkinator

It turns out that Comcast never registered the DHG535 modem with the CMTS. Once they did that, everything worked fine. Sad that they had to waste money on service calls with a tech on site on more than 1 occasion for a problem that was easily solved remotely. No wonder I'm paying so much for HSI ...

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

3 edits
reply to electropower

said by electropower:

I will probably have to clone the DHG535's MAC address to the Netgear router.
Why would one ever want to, or have to clone the MAC addy of a cable modem into a router ?

electropower

Shelton, CT

said by EG:

said by electropower:

I will probably have to clone the DHG535's MAC address to the Netgear router.
Why would one ever want to, or have to clone the MAC addy of a cable modem into a router ?
You're right - what I meant to say was, I may have to clone the MAC address of the PC's NIC to the router, since my neighbor connects his PC directly to the cable modem, with no firewall/router in between. I know that some of the older cable modems required this - I'm not sure about the DHG535 ...

JahsDisciple
Living my life like it's golden
Premium
join:2007-07-07
Baltimore, MD
kudos:1

said by electropower:

You're right - what I meant to say was, I may have to clone the MAC address of the PC's NIC to the router, since my neighbor connects his PC directly to the cable modem, with no firewall/router in between. I know that some of the older cable modems required this - I'm not sure about the DHG535 ...
i doubt if you would have to do any cloning unless some sort of mac filtering is on in your router.
--
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to electropower

if you push the reset button on the back of the EMTA with nothing hooked to the ethernet port. no cloning of IPs to the WAN port of the router should be needed.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports