Broomfield, CO

Swamp Cooler question

I have 5 modes on my swamp cooler switch,
-pump
-high cool
-low cool
-low fan
-high fan

Sometimes (seems to be more frequent now) when I turn the knob to any of the fan modes, I can hear a humming noise coming from the swamp cooler (This is a roof mount)

If I leave it like that, eventually it will kick on. Sometimes, the humming will stop all together but it will still eventually kick on.

Once it is on, I have no problems with it staying on.

I assume this sound it coming from the motor, but I am trying to pin point the cause.

Any ideas? When I get home, I am going to check the voltage reaching the motor. I assume since it eventually turns on, power is fine, maybe the motor is just going bad?

Thanks all!
--
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium
join:2004-02-27
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:3
It sounds suspiciously like the motor capacitor has gone bad.

CKizer
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Tijeras, NM
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to kalphearion

Evap Cooler Motor
yep - swamp cooler motor (really cheap split-phase start (no capacitor) and usually don't last more than a couple of years due to humid operating environment) needs to be replaced. You may want to replace the pump and check the drive belt while you are up there.
--
Crunching for Help Defeat Cancer and FightAIDS@Home at the World Community Grid.

kalphearion
In nomine Patri
Premium
join:2003-11-08
Broomfield, CO
Thank you for the replies.

We replaced the pump last year when we moved in, but not the motor since it was working ok. The motor looks like the original (Don't know when the cooler was installed)

I will go out and buy a new motor and belt. Will let you know if that fixes it.

Thanks
--
Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.