spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

truemajik

@linkline.com

U-Verse - Very slow connection.

In the past few weeks I've noticed my connection getting very very slow and constantly getting page not found errors when I go to various sites. Sites that should be fast load slow, for instance Google search page or Gmail.

NOTE: While reading other similar topics, I disconnected/reconnected power to the 2Wire modem. Prior to doing so I had checked the modem stats (see Q9 below) and for "DSL Training Errors" in the "Current 24 hour interval" had a 10 digit value! After resetting and running for 3 hrs, there's been only 1 error. Since then, the page not found errors have dramatically decreased but speed in general is still slow.

1) Which AT&T DSL Package do you have?
U-verse Express which according to the U-verse page (»uma.att.com/assets/files/explore_hsia.html) it should be 1.5Mbps up / 1.0Mbps down. However, the 2Wire modem (logging on to modem web interface, clicking on "Broadband Link" then on "Details") says speeds are/should be: 25216 kbps down / 2048 kbps up.

2) Which modem brand and model do you have? (if Speedstream 5100, does it have 4 or 5 lights)
2Wire 3800 HGV-B

3) Are you using a router? If so, provide the brand and model.
Built-in router in 2Wire modem

4) Is your PPPoE login info (username & password) entered in the modem, in your router or do you use PPPoE software?
Entered in modem
Did not see this in the modem web interface, but don't believe PPPoE software is installed.

5) Describe the lights on the modem when the trouble occurs.
Power - solid green
Local Ethernet - blinking green
USB-PC - no lights
wireless - no lights
HomePNA - no lights
Phone 1 - no lights
Phone 2 - no lights
Broadband - solid green
Service - solid green

6) Confirm that you've checked to ensure that ALL devices plugged into the wall jacks serviced by your DSL phone number (except the DSL modem) have filters fitted.
Check

7) Confirm that you've powered off the modem and started it again and whether or not that made any changes with your problem.
Check

8) Do you hear any type of noise on the DSL phone line or any other unusual telephone symptoms?
No

9) Provide line stats as follows
View Broadband Link Statistics Transmit and Receive Data
Transmit and Receive Data
IP Bytes Packets Errors
Transmit: 7043095 31505 0
Receive: 30077355 34351 0

Data Errors
Statistics
Collected for 3:15:01

Since Reset Current 24-Hour Interval Current 15-Minute Interval Time Since Last Event

DSL Link Retrains: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Training Errors: 1 1 0 3:12:46

DSL Training Timeouts: 2 2 0 3:13:09

DSL Loss of Framing Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Loss of Signal Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Loss of Power Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Loss of Margin Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Cumulative Errored Seconds: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Severely Errored Seconds: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Corrected Blocks: 30 30 0 0:43:03

DSL Uncorrected Blocks: 0 0 0 0:00:00

10) If you have a speed problem, use the AT&T Speed Test here -- »helpme.att.net/dsl/speedtest/ and post your results.
down: 1.407 Mbps / up: 949.21 kbps

gdm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Your speeds of 1.5/1.0 is what your speed tests show below. You are getting the correct speeds.

The reason the broadband link shows the speeds it does is for the pipe that ATT issues for TV and Internet. We all show that for our broadband link.

If your cell count continues to get high I would call into to u-verse support. Could be a bad RG/2Wire or a wiring problem possibly.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY
reply to truemajik

On number 6 you said 'check'. Does that mean there are filters on your phones or are not? You shouldn't need filters on all of your phones with U-verse, because they use a 'whole home VDSL filter' outside in your phonebox.

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
reply to truemajik

koolkid is correct. After looking at your post it appears you are posting info that is asked of the regular ATT DSL forums. Those use ADSL, uverse is VDSL two different technologies.

TomP46

@sbcglobal.net
reply to gdm

I went to a USB connection and use Firefox instead of that lousy Yahoo never has worked worth a dang browser and cured my Inet speed problems...now if that was the only problem Uverse had...but it AIN'T.....TV: pixelations, screen freezes on every channel around the clock, black screens with "Poor Quality Signal" messages; one phone that has a problem working only part of the time plus the open wire mess the ELEVEN count em eleven techs, the last one a supervisor left in our house.

For a while I thought maybe my problems were unique to my service but today's web search convinced me that the Uverse problems are universal...pun intended.

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

1 edit
reply to truemajik

No they aren't. I have no issues with my u-verse service at all. It sounds like you have wiring issues which is what would cause all the symptoms you are having. Also I would never connect a PC via USB to get on the internet just a bad idea.

The reason you see so many posts are those that are complaining not those that the service is working perfectly fine for. A lot of complaints are limit of 4 streams which a lot of folks don't require more then that. Some do so u-verse isn't for them.

koolkid1563
Premium,MVM
join:2005-11-06
Powell, WY
reply to TomP46

You didn't mention what you were using prior to the USB connection. Are you using a USB connection straight into the RG, into a wireless adapter, or maybe a USB to Ethernet adapter? What exactly are you using that is USB?

truemajik

@lapfcu.org

KillKid1563, It looks like TomP46 started replying to Q's that were directed toward me. I am not using the USB connection.

Also, gdm, regarding the info I posted, I couldn't find any preliminary questions to respond to when opening a thread in the Uverse section so I just copied the Q's from some other post. Which leads to KillKid1563's Q on #6. There are no filters b/c the phone line doesn't go to my Uverse modem/router.

Connection is still slow. The only thing I can think if is perhaps when I first got it, they weren't limiting me to my subscribed speeds and now they are. I don't have any logs,notes, etc. about how my speeds were when I first got Uverse, but I definitely remember the numbers were higher/faster.

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL

Well the max internet speed for u-verse internet is 10meg down 1.5 up.

Have you called support to have them verify your settings?

What plan did you sign up for?

truemajik

@lapfcu.org

U-verse Express which should be 1.5Mbps up / 1.0Mbps down.

No I haven't called. I wanted to post here first to get feedback and know how persistent I should be if they tell me my speed should be fine, etc.

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL

What do you get if you go here and pick the closest city.

»helpme.att.net/dsl/speedtest/

Hilbe

join:2002-12-13
Fishers, IN
reply to truemajik

I've noticed some speed improvements by switching my DNS servers to opendns.org DNS servers...

truemajik

@sbcglobal.net
reply to truemajik

Speed Test Results:

Download = 1.390 Mbps
Upload = 951.09 kbps

I've tried alternative DNS servers including OpenDNS, but my connection still seems the same. Based on the speed results, that should be close to what I'm supposed to be getting per my package....it just feels slow....Maybe I'm just making something out of nothing??

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

Speeds look good and your tracert does as well.

You could try downloading ping plotter and have it run for a few days at minute intervals. Also remember that u-verse we are all on interleave so we have a bit higher latency then cable and dsl.