Search similar:

uniqs

toplevelpot
Unlucky in women and cards
join:2008-04-19
Los Angeles, CA

toplevelpot

How long can a car park on the street?

On my street just 10 ft down from my driveway gate, there's a Cadillac that up till 2 wks ago had been parked for a MONTH, and had collected 3 tickets in that time. Now I'm sure we have a 72hr limit,thus the 3 tickets, but the car still sits there. When the car was moved (pushed uphill to its current position, I bet,) you can see a note in the drivers side window- "car no work, engine shoot, please no give ticket.". W. T. F.
Who can I call? plz dont say prkg enforcement since apparently they cant tow self-declared non-ops. ANY IDEAS would be useful, the trash building up between the car and the curb is rotting.

p.s. the caddy is 2 good for the neighborhood so maybe it stays to raise property values
drslash (banned)
Goya Asma
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA

drslash (banned)

If the city can't tow it there is no one else to call. You could try to contact the owner but I don't think that will change anything. If you are concerned about the trash, pick it up and dispose of it.

craig70130
Premium Member
join:2004-04-27
New Orleans, LA

craig70130 to toplevelpot

Premium Member

to toplevelpot
Call your local police precinct's non-emergency number and politely ask the desk Sgt. for his/her advice on how to remedy the situation.
81399672 (banned)
join:2006-05-17
Los Angeles, CA

81399672 (banned) to toplevelpot

to toplevelpot
In Los Angeles, you can park as long as your registration is valid. Being that vehicle received 2 parking ticket, it will eventually get booted. After x days, it will get towed.

likitysplit
join:2008-01-14
Flagstaff, AZ

1 recommendation

likitysplit to toplevelpot

to toplevelpot

1 or 2 hours

What's this world coming to. In my day there wouldn't be anything left but the frame within 1 or 2hrs. But then we would roast marshmallows and weenies if there was enough left to sustain a cooking temperature
mocycler
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22

2 edits

mocycler to toplevelpot

Premium Member

to toplevelpot

Re: How long can a car park on the street?

It depends on the parking regulations in the area. In my town, you can't park overnight but if you call the police with a special case (such as out of town guests) they will give you a pass. They will not tow a car unless it is a safety hazard or in a designated tow-away zone.

You could possibly make a case that the car is a safety hazard or an abandoned vehicle. I would call local code enforcement (not the police) or city council member. You might have to be pushy or get other neighbors to speak up too.

I can't imagine any town allowing a non-working car to just sit there indefinitely and collect tickets. There must be some ordinance that prohibits using the public street as a long-term storage area.

mocycler

Bogden
Premium Member
join:2000-07-11
Richmond, VA

Bogden to toplevelpot

Premium Member

to toplevelpot
see here

»ladot.lacity.org/tf_Park ··· ions.htm
93388818 (banned)
It's cool, I'm takin it back
join:2000-03-14
Dallas, TX

93388818 (banned) to toplevelpot

to toplevelpot
torch it. It will get moved then.

CurtesyFlush
Bababooey, fafafooey, tatatoothy.
Premium Member
join:2002-08-23
Fontana, CA

CurtesyFlush to toplevelpot

Premium Member

to toplevelpot
said by toplevelpot:

"car no work, engine shoot, please no give ticket."
Depending on what neighborhood you're in, that could qualify as fluent English.
61999674 (banned)
Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
join:2000-09-02
Here

61999674 (banned) to toplevelpot

to toplevelpot
Well around here, if it isn't moved for three days the tires get marked, a day later if it has not been moved it gets towed.

A vehicle that is non-functional, current registration is meaningless.

There should be no reason the city can't tow it, by leaving the note, the owner(?) is declaring it is non-functional, and can't legally be parked on the street for any length of time.

Call the local Police non-emergency number and complain about it.

Tzale
Proud Libertarian Conservative
Premium Member
join:2004-01-06
NYC Metro

Tzale to toplevelpot

Premium Member

to toplevelpot
In my town, you can't park on city streets between 1 AM and 5 AM, or you'll get ticketed.. You need to call for a permit to do it each night if you need to park on the streets. I know it is common to "abandon" cars on city streets when the owner doesn't want to pay to get rid of a crappy car that costs more to dispose than it is worth...

-Tzale

toplevelpot
Los Angeles, CA

toplevelpot

"I know it is common to "abandon" cars on city streets when the owner doesn't want to pay to get rid of a crappy car that costs more to dispose than it is worth...

-Tzale"

I wouldn't mind owning the caddy, I mean it's a newer model (2000+), nothing wrong externally that can be seen. Heck sometime early this morning, someone washed it.

When we 1st noticed it, the car was close to a fwy offramp so we guessed he had trouble on the fwy and got off and prkd there. After a month and 3tickets for blocking the street sweeper, it was moved (pushed) to it's current location. Now we're more than halfway thru the next month, and I'm beginning to suspect that this wasn't the closest offramp to the trouble but some local, but not neighbor (and with all the troubles the neighbors cause I might have needed to bust out with the marshmallows).

Oh and the trash got swept up by a county crew as I was writing the original post, I noticed later.

Pyrion
Liquid Metal Nanomorph
join:2001-12-01
Spirit Lake, ID

1 edit

Pyrion to toplevelpot

to toplevelpot
In my area, they don't care. Both my old Honda and my grandmother's Benz were non-op for close to a year and nobody complained, no tickets were written, nothing, the registrations remained current so the police couldn't do anything about it.

Both eventually got traded in (and presumably junked) and the dealerships picked up the cost of towing, which is hilarious.
00054232 (banned)
join:2006-12-17

00054232 (banned) to toplevelpot

to toplevelpot
24hrs

pp03
join:2002-06-13

pp03

lol, my friend left his broken down car in a grocery store parking lot for 8 months before they towed it.

It was sad when they did, made it through the whole winter, had its own snow banks around it.

toplevelpot
Los Angeles, CA

toplevelpot

Well, Last night a neighbor (who had probably imbibed too much) drove his minivan into it so I am pretty sure that it will be towed now (it no longer raises the property values and the pieces that flew off are blocking the sidewalk).
toplevelpot

toplevelpot

ok it's still there. i did talk to prkg enforcement: since he's been moving the car slowly up the hill she cant tow it 'till it has 5 unpaid tickets on it. There is SOOOOO much wrong with that. ok 2 things; 1. it's been moved exactly once, she agreed that it was pushed to its present position, however she thinks he's been pushing it a little further uphill each week ( L.A. county does not use boots, and chalking tires is cured by h2o, so she has no point of reference). And 2. she's gotta wait for 5 tickets? Then, it should be a week gone already- a month ago 3 tickets were thrown into our yard, and today it got one. In a month, it did not receive 1 single ticket, even though it blocked the street sweeper for the 4th time today.
Really, they have no clue. I can't blame the woman 'cause I don't know if she is a regular, but jeez two months to tow this car that stands out like an ingrown toenail on sum1s face.
/rant

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3

MVM

Get away from the window and enjoy yourself.

toplevelpot
Los Angeles, CA

toplevelpot

in the past ten years, we've had 2 car bombs. yes this is l.a., not baghdad. Some ppl don't like the white family, living in the middle of Little Mexico. so when a car sits in this spot for a while, we want it gone. I'd have thought a New Yorker would understand but i guess ou fit in, in your neighborhood.

Lowtarget
Premium Member
join:2003-12-22
Alger, OH

Lowtarget to toplevelpot

Premium Member

to toplevelpot
In the area I live in at least. If you let your car sit around long enough. The kids will throw eggs at your car and other small stuff.

Don't have to worry about the town cop. They are too lazy and just want to get payed. Kids runs dirt bikes and go-carts on the streets here. Our town cop does nothing about it.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Numquam oblita
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone

lilhurricane to toplevelpot

Numquam oblita

to toplevelpot
Till the tires are chalked..bout an hour

toplevelpot
Los Angeles, CA

toplevelpot

the tires were chalked on friday,I saw that today. Tomorrow someone will probably rinse the marks off, you know same ol' same ol'. I can't get too cynacical tho one of these days (weeks, months) it will get towed, but this car has moved once since it prkd on the street, June 6.
toplevelpot

toplevelpot

After avoiding 3 72hr move or be towed chalkings (pushing all the way), he made 1 mistake; he double-parked his back-end. Traffic hazard, and even though he had moved it today, he prkd it in a bad way, and that was the end of it.

Jeebus Juice
Premium Member
join:2008-01-16
Tampa, FL

Jeebus Juice to toplevelpot

Premium Member

to toplevelpot
You know if you put bologna on the hood @ noontime it will create nice primer colored spots on it. and along with a new engine hell need a paint job to
annoyingrob
join:2007-03-27
Calgary, AB

annoyingrob to toplevelpot

to toplevelpot
Around here, if there's a car parked where you don't want it, you just call the city, they put a sticker on it saying something to the effect of "If you don't move this vehicle in 48 hours, it will be towed". Then 2 days later, its gone.

Someone abandoned a car next door to my house, the neighbors came home, called the city, it was gone in 2 days. Also happened to a friend who moved into a new office only to find a random car parked in one of their reserved spots. They called the city, the city put a sticker on the car, the next day the owner moved it, and got all pissed off trying to remove the sticker