All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
chabu
join:2002-01-16

chabu

Best Compressed Format for videos

Have a movie video file that is 700 MB. What format should I convert it to make it the smallest file? Need to send for online storage so that my friend can access and download it. Oof course he has to convert it back to a format so that he can view, but thats no problem. Also, it helps me with upload and download times and the limitations that ISPs have.

wings10
I Am Legend
Premium Member
join:2004-06-09
South Elgin, IL

1 edit

wings10

Premium Member

Divx?

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to chabu

MVM

to chabu
The first question is 700Mb in what format? If you have a 700Mb xvid/divx avi file, making it any smaller without trashing the quality is going to be a pretty tough job. If it's a 700Mb uncompressed AVI (not sure why that would be, unless you created the content yourself) then xvid/divx is probably your best bet.

And then there are a lot of formats in between the two.
chabu

chabu

The present video format is avi

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

1 recommendation

Camelot One

MVM

AVI is just the container, not the format/compression. Grab a copy of media info here: »mediainfo.sourceforge.ne ··· Download

It will tell you which codecs/compression the video is using. If it's something you downloaded, chances are very good it's already an xvid/divx, in which case your only real option to reduce file size would be to drop the quality.
chabu

chabu

So that I dont get flammed for not figuring out myself, I converted a 700MB avi video file into wmv, h264(MPEG-4) and flv formats to find out which would be the smallest file. The conversions were done with the same program and the results are:

Flv format - 1,068,499 KB
WMV FORMAT - 1,240,381 KB
H264(MPEG-4)-398,686 KB.

Any feedback?

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Those numbers sound right, though for each format there are various quality settings that will effect the output size.
chabu

chabu

yes, you are correct, but with free programs avaiable, you can easily convert from one format to the other. The idea here is to find the smallest possible file size so that it can be upload/downloaded faster.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

h.264 or xvid are your best bets for smallest file size at any given quality. Just keep in mind that each has various quality settings that effect the compression, and thus the output size. You could use the same program to convert to each, but if the default settings are different, your output file size testing would be skewed.

I can compress a 2 hour- 6Gb mpeg2 DVD movie to xvid, and get a 200Mb file size. But it will look and sound like complete crap. Or I can use different quality/resolution/sound settings that result in a 700Mb file size (the standard for internet downloads) and it will look decent. At 1.5 to 2Gb or so and you can get true DVD quality.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to chabu

Premium Member

to chabu
is Zip an option? anyone with XP and later and unzip files. however most compressed video/audio formats based on mpeg dont seem to zip up well.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

is Zip an option? anyone with XP and later and unzip files. however most compressed video/audio formats based on mpeg dont seem to zip up well.
it will only save an few megabytes or less

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

dvd536 to chabu

Premium Member

to chabu
said by chabu:

So that I dont get flammed for not figuring out myself, I converted a 700MB avi video file into wmv, h264(MPEG-4) and flv formats to find out which would be the smallest file. The conversions were done with the same program and the results are:

Flv format - 1,068,499 KB
WMV FORMAT - 1,240,381 KB
H264(MPEG-4)-398,686 KB.

Any feedback?
Downside to H264 is it needs a decent processor to not skip during playback.
chabu

chabu

the intent is here is to make the file the smallest possible which can transmiited faster over the net and the receiver can change to whatever format he chooses to.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536

Premium Member

said by chabu:

the intent is here is to make the file the smallest possible which can transmiited faster over the net and the receiver can change to whatever format he chooses to.
Looks like the winner here is H264 although there will be a quality hit when converting amongst types.
-
what about burning to a dvd and sending via snailmail?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Further, how do you burn an FLV file in such a way that when replayed on a dvd player, it does not fill the whole screen?? IN other words quite blurred!!
chabu

chabu

you have to convert it back to either avi or dvd format...not a problem as there are online programs that do that for you (like zamzar etc)