uniqs
share rss forum feed

zerog

join:2002-02-10
Carrollton, TX
kudos:1

1 edit

MI424WR Wake On Lan (WOL) - working hack, needs testing

I see that several folks have been trying to get Wake-on-LAN over the internet to work and have had no luck by forwarding some udp port to LAN broadcast (192.168.1.255, etc)
I tried this without any luck.

I dropped a packet sniffer on on the lan and found that there was no broadcast even though the port forward should be working. A little bit of digging around on the net seems to indicate that this is not restricted to the actiontec, but affects other setups as well (although I havent gotten to the bottom of the technical reason yet)

I saw some rather hacky attempts on dd-wrt, openwrt, etc, but iproute2/ip doesnt work on actiontec (due to missing lib?)

I see that arp command is functional on this box, so I did the following:

Setup the port forward for the WOL to forward to an unused LAN ip instead of LAN broadcast, i.e., 192.168.1.254 (udp, port 9 [actual port depends on your WOL util]), and restricted source ip (important for security reasons, as i think you are opening up lan broadcast to the outside world)

telnet into the actiontec, drop to shell (shell command), and issue:
arp -s 192.168.1.254 ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

This adds a static arp entry to alias 192.168.1.254 to lan broadcast.

So now when I use a WOL tool from the internet, it forwards to lan address 192.168.1.254 which broadcasts, and wakes up my pc (or any pc on the lan)

I'm not sure if this is proper, but his works for me, however I'm not sure if there are other ramifications of doing this, (other than security if you didn't properly restrict this port forward to certain trusted source ips)

Also, obviously, this won't persist past a router reboot, but luckily you can telnet (I cringe at the fact that there is no ssh on this router) over the wan and set it up before issuing WOL packet...

I'd like to hear what others experience on this issue..

Disclaimer: If you don't know what you are doing, don't do it. I take no responsibility for you jacking up your router's config or blowing up your ONT. In otherwords, try this at your own risk.

zerog

join:2002-02-10
Carrollton, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

alternatively,
if you just want WOL working to a single host on your lan, it appears a similar method will work

1. setup that host with a static address on the lan, (and optionally, add a dns entry in the router - to make life easier with hostname resolution on the lan)

2. setup port forward like above, however, lan destination will be the ip address of the machine

3. add static arp entry for that host, i.e.:
arp -s 192.168.1.100 00:12:34:56:ab:cd

where ip and mac address match your host

the static arp entry is necessary because after a timeout period of your pc being in standby, the router's dynamic arp cache expires and can never resolve the mac address for that ip.

I'm still digging for a way to edit persistant arp entries via router configuration, etc

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32

1 edit
said by zerog:

the static ARP entry is necessary because after a timeout period of your pc being in standby, the router's dynamic ARP cache expires and can never resolve the mac address for that ip.

I'm still digging for a way to edit persistent ARP entries via router configuration, etc
Have you tried this:

Reserving an DHCP address:
•Click on the ADVANCED icon at the top
•YES to the nag.
•Select IP Address Distribution
•Select Connection List
•Select New Static Connection
•Enter host name
•Enter IP address
•Enter MAC address
•APPLY

These should be persistent.