tmpchaos
Requiescat in pace
Numquam oblitus
join:2000-04-28
Hoboken, NJ

14 recommendations

tmpchaos

Numquam oblitus

[Tech] On brand wars, trolling and flaming.

There has been a steadily increasing amount of trolling and flaming among people with differing opinions on equipment. It needs to stop, and will. If people find it necessary to constantly attack others for their differing opinions, they'll need to do it elsewhere. They won't be permitted to do it here.

If you can present rational justifications for (or against) a product (and back it up with real evidence), that's one thing. Personal opinions are fine as well, as long as everyone understands that that's all they are, and that they're not something to be battled over. That will stop.
Expand your moderator at work

Gomez
ha ha, charade you are

join:2001-02-21
Atlanta, GA

7 recommendations

Gomez to tmpchaos

to tmpchaos

Re: On brand wars, trolling and flaming.

said by tmpchaos:

There has been a steadily increasing amount of trolling and flaming among people with differing opinions on equipment. It needs to stop, and will. If people find it necessary to constantly attack others for their differing opinions, they'll need to do it elsewhere. They won't be permitted to do it here.

If you can present rational justifications for (or against) a product (and back it up with real evidence), that's one thing. Personal opinions are fine as well, as long as everyone understands that that's all they are, and that they're not something to be battled over. That will stop.
When does it end..

I've seen amazing works from every brand imagined.

Emil Schildt does amazing things with a 40 year old polaroid. Hard pressed to find film for it.

I'd wager I can give Sebastião Salgado my phone and he will produce a more compelling image than a guy that just bought 10,000k worth of high end consumer equipment.

Sure, the white balance might be off.. even the focus.. In the end that's not the stuff that matters.

Photography is not, nor has even been an art of technical precision which is what hardware marketing is pushing. (Yes marketing)

The amazing stuff happens because of what happens behind the view finder, not what is in front of it.

g
Expand your moderator at work

batterup
I Can Not Tell A Lie.
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Netcong, NJ

batterup to tmpchaos

Premium Member

to tmpchaos

Re: On brand wars, trolling and flaming.

Way back in 69 I bought a camera and lenses of the same brand; as I bought new I usually could use the old so I kept with the brand.