A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

Kerio Personal Firewall Driver: BufferAllocate: BufferSize?

When I use my Debian's Samba to copy files (even a 17 KB text file) via LAN, I see this:

"Windows - Fatal Application Exit -- Kerio Personal Firewall Driver: BufferAllocate: BufferSize (61562) > MaxBufferSize (16384) - Increase buffer size."

It started recently. Any ideas? Maybe part of XP SP3 or DNS KB update from 7/9/2008.

Thank you in advance.
--
Ant @ »antfarm.ma.cx and »aqfl.net. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use the forum! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer

gwion
wild colonial boy
Premium,ExMod 2001-08
join:2000-12-28
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
"Fatal Application Exit : Kerio Personal Firewall Driver: BufferAllocate: BufferSize (8814) > MaxBufferSize (8192) - Increase buffer size" What is this error message and how do I fix it?
This typically means that the KPF engine is receiving more data than it can process and the driver buffer becomes full. This is not normal behavior. If you receive this error you should first verify that there is not a problem with the network, and that your PC meets the minimum system requirements for your Operating System. Alternatively, you can manually increase the KPF buffer from the registry: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\fwdrv. Modify 'MaxBufferSize' to some higher amount (e.g. 12000).

»www.kerio.co.uk/supp_kpf_faq_general.html

Oldie but a goodie... I'm still using Kerio, very effectively, on XP. Remember, it's a deprecated release, so these FAQ were written when we had 128 RAM... with 1,280 plus, I strongly advocate giving the firewall some breathing room, and tossing out a few of those do nothing TSR sorta crapola things we get preloaded, ad nauseum, on 95% of the current XP boxes we buy... hope this helps, good luck, and best wishes...
--
Semper Eadem
--
Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits and
Are melted into air, into thin air...

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
said by gwion:

"Fatal Application Exit : Kerio Personal Firewall Driver: BufferAllocate: BufferSize (8814) > MaxBufferSize (8192) - Increase buffer size" What is this error message and how do I fix it?
This typically means that the KPF engine is receiving more data than it can process and the driver buffer becomes full. This is not normal behavior. If you receive this error you should first verify that there is not a problem with the network, and that your PC meets the minimum system requirements for your Operating System. Alternatively, you can manually increase the KPF buffer from the registry: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\fwdrv. Modify 'MaxBufferSize' to some higher amount (e.g. 12000).

»www.kerio.co.uk/supp_kpf_faq_general.html

Oldie but a goodie... I'm still using Kerio, very effectively, on XP. Remember, it's a deprecated release, so these FAQ were written when we had 128 RAM... with 1,280 plus, I strongly advocate giving the firewall some breathing room, and tossing out a few of those do nothing TSR sorta crapola things we get preloaded, ad nauseum, on 95% of the current XP boxes we buy... hope this helps, good luck, and best wishes...
Thanks. How high do I want to go for buffer? FAQ says 12000 but I already have 16384. Can I go maximum?
--
Ant @ »antfarm.ma.cx and »aqfl.net. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use the forum! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer

gwion
wild colonial boy
Premium,ExMod 2001-08
join:2000-12-28
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
I'm running 32768. Try doubling it, see what happens. Of course, a lot depends on how you use the machine. If it's mostly e-mail and surfing, try for a conservative but sufficient buffer... if you're streaming and moving big files, try and open up as much as you can without choking physical ram for other apps. Again, remember, this release came out when it wasn't uncommon for people to install it (very effectively) on 32 meg machines, and the norm was ~128-256 on state of art machines... the installer probably never contemplated gigabyte RAM plus machines, nor streaming content like we see as a norm, today; so a little intuitive tweaking is probably in order.
--
Semper Eadem
--
Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits and
Are melted into air, into thin air...

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
said by gwion:

I'm running 32768. Try doubling it, see what happens. Of course, a lot depends on how you use the machine. If it's mostly e-mail and surfing, try for a conservative but sufficient buffer... if you're streaming and moving big files, try and open up as much as you can without choking physical ram for other apps. Again, remember, this release came out when it wasn't uncommon for people to install it (very effectively) on 32 meg machines, and the norm was ~128-256 on state of art machines... the installer probably never contemplated gigabyte RAM plus machines, nor streaming content like we see as a norm, today; so a little intuitive tweaking is probably in order.
I only see this happening on LAN (100Mb/sec speed). I never had this problem in the past for years until recently. Not sure if it is SP3, KB updates, or something else. I am currently trying 61934 since it complained about it. Is there a limit? Can I go 9999999999999 or something crazy high?
--