All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bbq2001
join:2008-07-19

bbq2001

About Telus 2 IP Address

The web said there are 2 IP Addresses. One is using for my SE567, another one, i used my hub to connect to WAN port. I check OCA site, it said my PC MAC is registered and showing an IP. Also I checked SE 567 status, it showed that DHCP server (0 clients). When I type ipconfig command, it still show my local ip address which is 192.168.***.***. Does it mean i am still using local IP not public IP? Should I change to old modem that can easily use 2 dynamic IP? thx

netwerk2
Premium Member
join:2003-02-03
BC

netwerk2

Premium Member

You going to have to use a bridge modem and a hub 2 pull 2 different Telus DHCP IP's for your computers

Why would you need to do this though? Why not just use the private IP's of 192.168.1.0/254

If you tell us what you are trying to accomplish we can help you

Zealot
@telus.net

Zealot to bbq2001

Anon

to bbq2001
Wall -> Standard DSL Modem (not gateway) -> Hub/Switch -> cable to PC, cable to router for other computers.

That will give your PC an IP and the router an IP.

mudchucker
Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy
Premium Member
join:2000-10-21

mudchucker to bbq2001

Premium Member

to bbq2001
I have the 2wire and it has its own ip from the OCA,.. which gives out internal DHCP to other wireless devices,.. This pc is on hardwire to one of the ports in the 2wire and I pull an ip from the OCA. 2 ip's,... two separate devices.

netwerk2
Premium Member
BC

netwerk2

Premium Member

Whats the advantage of having 2 separate IP from Telus?

mudchucker
Premium Member

mudchucker

Premium Member

said by netwerk2:

I do it so I don't have to set security through the router settings. I just put my pc in the DMZ and run a separate security program.

netwerk2
Premium Member
BC

2 edits

netwerk2

Premium Member

The DMZ is not going to pull another Telus IP. Its the same one (Telus IP) as the router. All DMZ does is allow all non NAT traffic to goto the Computer in the DMZ

mudchucker
Premium Member

mudchucker

Premium Member

Well for me apples to apples, or oranges to apples I am able to pull 2 separate ips and that is how I wanted it.
yvrwindsor
join:2008-04-28
Vancouver

yvrwindsor

mudchucker,

Just curious, is this how you set it up in 2wire?
a. Assign your pc to an internal static ip
b. Under Firewall, Firewall Settings: select right pc, then select Allow all applications (DMZplus mode).
c. Under Home Network, Advance Settings: Enable Public Network, enter internal static ip above and subnet mask.

Like netwerk, I thought the router can only access one public IP address.

Zealot
@telus.net

Zealot to netwerk2

Anon

to netwerk2
said by netwerk2:

I get better performance out of Remote Desktop when going through a direct connection to the net, as well as from bittorrent (yes, even with ports opened on the router).

netwerk2
Premium Member
BC

netwerk2 to yvrwindsor

Premium Member

to yvrwindsor
said by yvrwindsor:

mudchucker,

Just curious, is this how you set it up in 2wire?
a. Assign your pc to an internal static ip
b. Under Firewall, Firewall Settings: select right pc, then select Allow all applications (DMZplus mode).
c. Under Home Network, Advance Settings: Enable Public Network, enter internal static ip above and subnet mask.

Like netwerk, I thought the router can only access one public IP address.
It can only pull one IP. The DMZPlus mode only opens that PC thats in the dmz to all non NAT traffic.

If there is a port request for port 81 from the internet that traffic will goto the computer in the DMZ

mudchucker
Premium Member

1 edit

mudchucker

Premium Member

I could not pull a separate ip unless I put my pc in DMZplus mode. And llike mentioned,.. I had a hell of a time forwarding ports to a specific pc because of the lack of 2wire user ability.

I posted how I did it awhile back,.. in the search above just enter my username and in one of the 5+ pages you will come across my info,.. The may be a different way,.. or maybe its just in my head,.. but for me,.. I could not pull a 2nd ip without doing as I listed.