spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

stien12

join:2008-06-20

EBox cable soon to be limited?

I heard that the unlimited cable service will soon be changed to a monthly limited..
I was kind of turned off when I heard that since the only reason I am paying 80$ of internet a month is because its UNLIMITED.

Im not asking to download 800GB a month but..... whats the limit going to be?

oh yeah

@mc.videotron.ca
First I hear of this about cable...

Maybe Ebox can enlighten us????

stien12

reply to stien12
Also i forgot to mention the sales rep. told me the reason specifically is because people download 800GB a month..

I am in the process of being signed up but when I heard that I started having second thoughts.

cbp

join:2005-11-24
Montreal, QC
reply to stien12
I am interested in knowing this as well. I also want to go with them and I am in the process of buying a modem and router for this.

It better stay unlimited or else I am not switching to cable and will get two lines with DSL.

no sense

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to stien12
Doesn't make sense to me.

Videotron itself (what Ebox resells) offers its business internet, which is the same price as Ebox and unlimited.

If they can't resell what videotron themselves sell at the same price, then WTF is the use of using Ebox at all??

With Ebox being the same price as videotron for 7-meg and both being unlimited, does this mean videotron themselves are getting rid of 7-meg unlimited too?

Raises some questions.

Also raises the fact that if they don't offer unlimited while videotron will, there is absolutely now damn use using Ebox cable (unless you have a personal hate for videotron).

So it just doesn't add up to me.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
eBox is, to the best of my knowledge, wholesaling Videotron's business service.

GOTEKKY_JP

join:2005-12-12
Saint-Laurent, QC
said by Guspaz:

eBox is, to the best of my knowledge, wholesaling Videotron's business service.
I doubt it's the business service, more likely Videotron's residential service $34.95 + max overage of $30. Interesting to note, Videotron has since upped the max overage to $50 but I guess 3Men@Work (Ebox's infrastructure provider) had a contract signed with Videotron so they keep charging the old $30 max overage rate. If Ebox is discontinuing the service I think it would be because 3Men@Work's existing contract with videotron is coming to an end and the new overage of $50 would kick in.

Ebox has two options now, ask clients to pay $20 more making it $84.95/mo. or discontinuing the "unlimited" service and going with 20/10 Caps at $34.95.

I was going to signup with Ebox but decided to go with Videotron high speed business instead for $5/more per mo.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
Huh? $34.95?

Videotron's residential 7mbit service is $60.95 per month... The closest thing that they have to a $34.95 residential service is their $32.95 'basic' service, 0.6 megabit.

steveg2379

@admpoly.polymtl.ca
reply to stien12
J'Aimeras bien savoir si cette rumeur est vrai car je suis avec eux depuis près de 8 mois et j'ai jamais eu de problème et encore mieux j'ai un excellent service. Mais si l'option illimité disparaît j'aurez perdu un excellent service. J'Aimerais bien avoir une réponse de Ebox pour confirmer cette rumeur ou bien simplement nous dire leur plan a ce niveau.

Merci

Steve

GOTEKKY_JP

join:2005-12-12
Saint-Laurent, QC
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Huh? $34.95?

Videotron's residential 7mbit service is $60.95 per month... The closest thing that they have to a $34.95 residential service is their $32.95 'basic' service, 0.6 megabit.
See RadioActif.com an other ISP using 3men@work like Ebox and they have a 34.95 plan. Don't forget that wholesalers get it cheaper and they generally don't penalize you for not signing a long term contract.

ClientEbox

@3menatwork.com
reply to stien12
Je suis avec eBox (câble illimité) depuis quelques mois.
Ça allait bien au début, mais maintenant j'ai des problèmes. Ma connexion n'est pas stable, ça ressemble à de l'engorgement dans le réseau (hauts pings, packets loss).
J'ai parfois l'impression de payer 65$ pour cette connexion par câble alors que je reçois de plus en plus la stabilité d'une connexion ADSL à 35$...

Radioactif offre exactement le même forfait. Le modem m'appartien donc ça c'est réglé, mais si j'ai bien compris, il y a quand même des frais de 50$ (plus du double de Bell pour un pareil cas) qui s'appliquent, qui vont probablement complètement dans les poches de Vidéotron... C'est Vidéotron qui tient le gros bout du bâton.

Je suis tenté d'aller voir chez Radioactif si le gazon est plus vert, mais c'est le même réseau (3menatwork) et je suppose qu'ils ont actuellement les mêmes conversations avec Vidéotron. L'illimité risque t-il de disparaitre là aussi?

no news

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to stien12
sux, 2 full working days passed and no reply from E-box.

im waiting

@lestateinsider.com
reply to stien12
true.. im waiting for that also

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to stien12
Yeah, I'm surprised that DiskAce hasn't piped up by now.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to stien12
Why not call instead?

diskace
Electronic Box CEO
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-21
Sorry guys for the late reply,

nothing official as of now. We have a meeting tomorrow morning regarding strategic decisions and i should be able to clarify some of the questions here:

MLPPP support
Cable latency problem during peak time
fiber service

Best regards, DiskACE
--
Electronic Box Inc.

steveg79

@admpoly.polymtl.ca
reply to stien12
Salut Diskace,

Heureux d'avoir eu une réponse mais j'aimerais savoir si vous pensez insérez une limite de téléchargement. Dans les points que tu mentionnes tu n'en parle pas donc j'imagine que ce n'est pas dans vos plan et si c'est le cas je serez très heureux de cette décision. Merci de ta réponse.

Steve

grantus

join:2008-07-23
reply to stien12
I was with Videotron for a few months and then they brought in their 100GB cap, which I despised, but I tried it for a bit and didn't like the fact that I was paying so much per month and not have any freedom.

So I just recently left and went with Electonic Box, which is great because of the unlimited package. I don't necessarily download 800GB a month, but still, just knowing that there's a cap would have me upset once again.

Where can we go? It's as if the ISP's are making it much harder for everyone. I understand there are people downloading 800GB a month, but that's the way the internet is today. Forget about small MP3 files, nowadays it's all about full movies and programs, so IMO, if an ISP can't handle the bandwidth, then upgrade the system to handle it, or get out of the business, because times have changed.

stien12

reply to stien12
Good point..

Is it just me or is electronic box having latency problems?
I takes a few seconds to connect to some sites

grantus

join:2008-07-23
reply to stien12
Yes, I've noticed that too lately. I've only been with them for about a month so far and it was fine at first but this past week especially it's a big latency sometimes or it just drops out.

lukee

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to diskace
holy shit, their discussing fiber service

stien12

reply to stien12
So whats the story?
Is latency getting fixed soon? Thanks

steveg79

@admpoly.polymtl.ca
reply to stien12
Hope they not gonna changed the unlimited plan to a limited plan like vidéotron.

Steve

stien12

Me too.. Im scared they will.

despe

@interplex.ca
reply to stien12
Yeah so am I. And I was just about to switch my current contract expires at the end of August. How hard should it be to find a decent broadband provider anyways?

yeah soo

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to diskace
said by diskace:

Sorry guys for the late reply,

nothing official as of now. We have a meeting tomorrow morning regarding strategic decisions and i should be able to clarify some of the questions here:
How did the meeting go?

So whats the verdict?

getting rid of unlimited?

Calimera

@bri.nrc.ca
don't think so, they would not be better than Videotron anymore...and lose customers (including me)very quickly...

RadioactifAltern

@3menatwork.com
reply to stien12
Someone already with Radioactif's cable services?
Any abnormal latency or packet drop there too?

shampoo0

join:2003-07-08
reply to grantus
I'm with RadioActif and I can tell you that it's just as bad, if not worse.. Here's an example:

shampoo0

join:2003-07-08
Oh! Hang on.. things are "improving"

Truth is when I switched two weeks ago I've been dropping packets like nuts.. Not to mention 700ms for some packets.. Generally all websites are slow. It was considerably better with Videotron.. dare I say.

I might go back. Eeek!