Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MarkyD
Premium
join:2002-08-20
Oklahoma City, OK

[OK] Oklahoma speed increases?

I was told "mid-July" for the 15/1.5 upgrade on premier, as well as upload PowerBoost. Neither has appeared yet. Anyone have any idea when this will be happening?
--
MCSE, ACSA, and a lot more

gallowsroad

join:2004-08-09
Jenks, OK
Is that state wide or just the OKC area?

MarkyD
Premium
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to MarkyD
statewide

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1
i believe it's 2.5 or so up.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

1 edit

1 recommendation

rob it's only 1.5 up. 2 up with powerboost upload.

jw08

join:2007-10-26
Tulsa, OK

1 edit
reply to MarkyD
Not sure if it is related or not - however here in Tulsa, I've had one phone message and one postcard telling me that "upgrade" work will be carried out this coming week by contractors.. and that i should look for more information on my door ...

It also said that the work would be carried out at night .. (can't remember when exactly but I'm sure i remember between 2 and 5 am) .. I'm pretty sure that my dogs will have something to say about strangers being on my property at 3am ..

Hopefully the "notice" they leave on my door will be pretty specific and have contact info ...

MarkyD
Premium
Oklahoma City, OK
That is most likely related to 1ghz plant upgrades, which have already been completed here.
--
MCSE, ACSA, and a lot more

cableok

join:2001-12-04
Tulsa, OK
Marky - You said you were told there was an increase in July?

I have not seen any announcement.

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:79
reply to MarkyD
There are no changes to Oklahoma market speeds at this time.

MarkyD
Premium
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to cableok
said by cableok:

Marky - You said you were told there was an increase in July?

I have not seen any announcement.
I was told by a higher up. I don't want to bother him, and it was a couple months ago when he told me this. I guess plans have changed. =(

jw08

join:2007-10-26
Tulsa, OK
reply to MarkyD
Just got off the phone with a rep (was checking out prices if I wanted to downgrade) and was told that "Speeds will be increased here in October"

Premier will be 20/2
Preferred 9/1

did not ask about lower tiers ....

no idea if the speeds she quoted are accurate or if it was just a retention tactic ... but she seemed quite happy to just put that info out there - so I'm guessing there is something coming down the lines here real soon.

MarkyD
Premium
Oklahoma City, OK
said by jw08:

Just got off the phone with a rep (was checking out prices if I wanted to downgrade) and was told that "Speeds will be increased here in October"

Premier will be 20/2
Preferred 9/1

did not ask about lower tiers ....

no idea if the speeds she quoted are accurate or if it was just a retention tactic ... but she seemed quite happy to just put that info out there - so I'm guessing there is something coming down the lines here real soon.

those speeds are WITH powerboost. Without, Premier will be 15/1.5.

wierdo

join:2001-02-16
Tulsa, OK
said by MarkyD:

I already get over 20Mbps down when Powerboost is functioning. I was hitting 30Mbps last night for the first little while of a download from my Cox-connected dedicated server.
--
It's wierdo, not weirdo. Yes, I know that's not the 'proper' spelling of the similar english language word.

MarkyD
Premium
Oklahoma City, OK
said by wierdo:

said by MarkyD:

I already get over 20Mbps down when Powerboost is functioning. I was hitting 30Mbps last night for the first little while of a download from my Cox-connected dedicated server.
Yes, in optimal conditions powerboost will show some ridiculous speeds for a minute or so.
Unfortunately, in my neighborhood, we must have higher node utilization. I'm not so lucky.

w0kie

join:2001-12-23
Tulsa, OK
reply to MarkyD
I got the postcard about Cox working in my area. Then out of the clear blue sky I started getting major Cox horizontal hum bars. This was eliminated, by me, by using a Iso-Max VRD-1FF from Full Compass. I suspect Cox working on their lines and my sudden Cox hum bar problem may be related.

EricP

@deloitte.com
reply to MarkyD
I'll cross my fingers... 1.5-2mbit upstream sounds wonderful! Every little bit I can get squeaked out my way makes my remote desktop performance better.

Mosley
Premium
join:2001-02-27
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to MarkyD
Tested from OKC to DAL to OKC
I think speed boost only applies to those who pay for the highest speed packages available.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Download Connection is:: 25201 Kbps about 25.2 Mbps (tested with 25598 kB)
Download Speed is:: 3076 kB/s
Tested From:: »testmy.net/ (Main)
Test Time:: 2008/09/29 - 1:44pm
Bottom Line:: 439X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.33 sec
Tested from a 25598 kB file and took 8.321 seconds to complete
Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 236.33 % faster than the average for host (cox.net)
D-Validation Link:: »testmy.net/stats/id-97L8QMDB4
User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_5; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.20.1 [!]

NetGear WNR854T N MIMO @ 100 ft through 7 walls including external brick wall of house.
Using Cox Cable modem with highest speed available from COX. cost about $200 / mo for ALL channels HD+DVR converter boxes (X2) Phone service with all options and Fastest internet connection available for home in Oklahoma City, OK area.
--
CLIC (done) K Notice navigation is finished before the CLICK is. That’s what all the TV commercials show, that's what I expect.

wierdo

Tulsa, OK
reply to MarkyD
said by MarkyD:

Something interesting about this is that one of my clients signed a contract with CBS over in Arkansas for 15/3 at $186 a month a few weeks ago.

Also, I was talking to a friend of mine with an ISP who said Cox had quoted him $400 a month for 10/10 over fiber.
--
It's wierdo, not weirdo. Yes, I know that's not the 'proper' spelling of the similar english language word.

MarkyD
Premium
Oklahoma City, OK
said by wierdo:

said by MarkyD:

Something interesting about this is that one of my clients signed a contract with CBS over in Arkansas for 15/3 at $186 a month a few weeks ago.

Also, I was talking to a friend of mine with an ISP who said Cox had quoted him $400 a month for 10/10 over fiber.
I'd jump all over TRUE 15/3 for that price. But I'd guess it's mostly powerboost inflating those numbers.

wierdo

Tulsa, OK
said by MarkyD:

I'd jump all over TRUE 15/3 for that price. But I'd guess it's mostly powerboost inflating those numbers.
That's supposedly the real speed. We'll see when they finish construction in a few weeks.

I'd be pretty happy with 10/10 for $400, personally.

Me like upload.
--

MarkyD
Premium
Oklahoma City, OK
said by wierdo:

said by MarkyD:

That's supposedly the real speed. We'll see when they finish construction in a few weeks.

I'd be pretty happy with 10/10 for $400, personally.

Me like upload.
trust me, I'd rather have the 10/10 too, but that price is a bit steep for me. I'd be happy with the 15/3!!

Mattrk

@cox.net
reply to wierdo
400 bucks? for a 10/10 fiber connection? We pay around $2,000 a month for ours. He must have some connections.

wierdo

Tulsa, OK
said by Mattrk :

400 bucks? for a 10/10 fiber connection? We pay around $2,000 a month for ours. He must have some connections.
I was also surprised when I heard that. It must be a promotional deal or something.
--

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
South Padre Island, TX
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to MarkyD
There was a small story in today's Oklahoman Business section stating that Cox is increaing HSI speeds later this month. They did not specify a date however. Preferred is going to 9 Mbps (12 Mbps w/PowerBoost) and Premier is going to 15 Mbps (20 Mbps w/PowerBoost).
--
"When all else fails, read the instructions..."
MS-MVP Windows – Desktop User Experience

hdfan

@cox.net
October 21st is speed increase date for Oklahoma

kabhal
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Oklahoma City, OK
said by hdfan :

October 21st is speed increase date for Oklahoma
Oh wow, that's tomorrow! Do I need to call them or does it just automatically kick in? I already have their current highest tier: 12/1.

SterlingJ85

join:2000-11-19
Voorhees, NJ
reply to MarkyD
It should happen automatically.

If you don't see it, try to restart your cable modem to pick up the new config file.
--
-Sterling

SterlingJ85

join:2000-11-19
Voorhees, NJ
reply to MarkyD
Yee haaa!

Just tested from the Dallas Speakeasy server.

30807 down
4599 up

It's like having Cablevision in NJ again!

Hoss
Sauters A Walrus

join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK
I'm guessing Tulsa has it also?

toy4x4

join:2001-06-26
Jenks, OK

Thanks Cox!