All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DJ Matt
join:2008-05-09

DJ Matt

Chicago's WGN News now in HD!

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but it looks like WGN has flipped the on switch for HD news. I found these screen caps over on AVS forum. They must have just done this yesterday or Friday because I have yet to see the local news in HD.

»farm4.static.flickr.com/ ··· 88_o.jpg
»farm4.static.flickr.com/ ··· 5c_o.jpg
»farm4.static.flickr.com/ ··· 18_o.jpg
»farm4.static.flickr.com/ ··· ab_o.jpg
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

when will fox do the same thing. They also need to put there fox power doppler on it's own sub channel

The Joker
join:2003-08-01

2 edits

The Joker to DJ Matt

to DJ Matt
I only saw the lotto in HD.

Too bad I don't watch the WGN News, but I do love the show that's on before WGN news. Great Entertainment!
The Joker

The Joker

Everything looks better in HD, now if WOW can flick a switch and add some more channels in HD.
DJ Matt

DJ Matt to Joe12345678

to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

when will fox do the same thing. They also need to put there fox power doppler on it's own sub channel
I have been wondering the same. One would think sooner. If you think about it, high def continues to expand and it has an effect on news ratings. Those who have HDTV's will choose the local news broadcasts that are in HD most of the time. This will possibly put pressure on FOX, as well as CBS to go HD with the local news. As far as I know it, Cleveland is the only major city in the US to have all its stations broadcast local news in HD.
DJ Matt

DJ Matt to The Joker

to The Joker
said by The Joker:

Everything looks better in HD, now if WOW can flick a switch and add some more channels in HD.
I heard in the fall they plan on adding more HD. Nothing specific has been mentioned though. A few people on here have mentioned in the fall as well.
Xee
join:2005-02-22
USA

Xee to DJ Matt

to DJ Matt
said by DJ Matt:

I have been wondering the same. One would think sooner. If you think about it, high def continues to expand and it has an effect on news ratings. Those who have HDTV's will choose the local news broadcasts that are in HD most of the time. This will possibly put pressure on FOX, as well as CBS to go HD with the local news. As far as I know it, Cleveland is the only major city in the US to have all its stations broadcast local news in HD.
CBS evening news will be going high-def (1080i) on July 28th. No word on Fox though.
DJ Matt

DJ Matt

said by Xee See ProfileCBS evening news will be going high-def (1080i) on July 28th. No word on Fox though.
[/BQUOTE :

Is that the local news though? I heard iot was just Katie Couric going HD.
Xee
join:2005-02-22
USA

1 edit

Xee

said by DJ Matt:

Is that the local news though? I heard iot was just Katie Couric going HD.
Man, I thought that username sounded familiar. lol Posted the links I found on the other board; it could just be Couric. My bad.

brianbobcat
@covad.net

brianbobcat to DJ Matt

Anon

to DJ Matt
Well CBS' new studio at Washington and Dearborn will be HD. I saw a camera crew filming CTA busses last fall and I was talking with the cameraman in between busses, and they were shooting on Sony XDCAM even then, so all their "archived" footage from the past 12 months should be archived in HD as well. When I passed the new studio near the end of June, the interior finally had some sets up that said CBS 2 Chicago on them, so it could go live in the next month or two, granted it passes their internal testing. As far as FOX, they got that new set several years ago which seems like it would lend itself to HD (all the LCDs and Plasmas they have) the question is simply when. Lastly, I know I watch either ABC or now even NBC simply cause they're in HD and why watch FOX or CBS when they're not.

-Brian
DJ Matt

DJ Matt

said by brianbobcat :

Well CBS' new studio at Washington and Dearborn will be HD. I saw a camera crew filming CTA busses last fall and I was talking with the cameraman in between busses, and they were shooting on Sony XDCAM even then, so all their "archived" footage from the past 12 months should be archived in HD as well. When I passed the new studio near the end of June, the interior finally had some sets up that said CBS 2 Chicago on them, so it could go live in the next month or two, granted it passes their internal testing. As far as FOX, they got that new set several years ago which seems like it would lend itself to HD (all the LCDs and Plasmas they have) the question is simply when. Lastly, I know I watch either ABC or now even NBC simply cause they're in HD and why watch FOX or CBS when they're not.

-Brian
I saw CBS news out here in Naperville at Rib Fest over the 4th. They did have the Sony HD cameras then so I thought to myself that they must be going to go HD soon. Its just a matter of when I guess. I agree with you about the HD news. Why watch it in standard when you can watch it in HD. CBS and FOX will have to switch to HD soon. I would imagine it has an effect on ratings.

hdtvtechno212
@ameritech.net

hdtvtechno212 to DJ Matt

Anon

to DJ Matt
WGN Field reports along with Helicopter (skyCam9) will be upgraded to HD within 6 months - If not sooner.

CBS2 News will all be in HD from the from the getgo
Everything is brand spanking new..HD all

FOX chicago could happen this year...Just waiting for City approval for city work permit

»hdtvtechno.worldispnetwork.com
hdtvtechno212

hdtvtechno212

Anon

CBS2 News HD
starts on September 22 2008...
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

1 edit

67845017 (banned)

But man, that is one crappy news show . . .

I have a hard time watching any local news that's not ABC. This was well prior to them switching to HD.

Phoenix2088
join:2002-12-04
Strongsville, OH

Phoenix2088

said by 67845017:

But man, that is one crappy news show . . .

I have a hard time watching any local news that's not ABC. This was well prior to them switching to HD.
The CBS station here is pretty pathetic as well. Borderline tabloid instead of news source.