spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gitman

join:2001-12-24
Fort Myers, FL

difference between gateway mode and router mode?

whats the difference between the 2 modes?

Lanik
Lab-nik
Premium,ExMod 2002-03
join:2001-06-25
San Francisco, CA

Gateway mode is used as an intermediate between the modem and the router and it will allow the connection to the web.

Router mode will set your router to route packets without being connected to the Internet.
--
McLarenF1 -- Live fast, die without regrets.

[text was edited by author 2001-12-26 21:31:27]

GeekNJ
Premium
join:2000-09-23
Waldwick, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
Found this for some additional input to what Lanik posted:

Choose the working mode. Gateway mode should be used if your Linksys router is hosting your network's connection to the Internet. Router mode should be selected if the router exists on a network with other routers, including a separate network gateway that handles the Internet
connection.
--
Have you tweaked your OOL connection?

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
reply to gitman
Gateway uses NAT to negotiate between the WAN and your LAN. Router mode acts as only that - a device to direct, or route, traffic along selected paths.

Example: I was using an SR41 when I found a deal on an 11S4 wireless. I set the S4 as a router and uplinked it to the SR41, letting the latter act as my gateway to the Internet. Once I was satisfied with the S4's wireless performance, I yanked the SR41 and reconfigured the S4 for gateway mode.
--
Surf Without Strings

John D9

join:2001-11-24
Boylston, MA
reply to gitman
I have my BEFW11S4 on an netowrk with the RT314 acting as the switch and gateway to the internet. All is working fine, but one silly little question I have. How do I access the web interface of the Linksys??? It seems like it is invisible and has no IP of its own.

John

mrgone4662$

join:2002-01-16
nowhereland
reply to gitman
Go to »192.168.1.1/ leave the username blank and the password is admin. (Unless the default settings have changed.)

John D9

join:2001-11-24
Boylston, MA
reply to gitman
No. Does not work. The linksys is part of the rt314 network, which I use the 172.16.xxx.xxx series of private ips. However, the Linksys does not seem to have an IP on this subnet. I think I need to set up a static route, but I thought I would tap the knowledge here, before I start messin'.