how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BlueMagic

join:2008-03-30
Riverside, IL

Recording magicJack calls

On rare occasions, I may like to record a call, for instance a dispute with a merchant etc. I have been Googling around and trying various voip recording programs which seem to be quite buggy. However......I have found a pretty cool program that seems to work. I have only used it for about an hour so I am still playing with it. The program's name is stepvoice and here is the link. »stepvoice.com/index.shtml

The cost is $14.95 but they give you a 30 day full version trial. In addition they have the original version available for free. Check it out and see if it works for you.

If anyone else has a suggestion for a call recording program that works with magicJack, please post.

Cheers

laserjobs
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Las Vegas, NV

You can also use Cain & Able to record calls using the sniffer function

»www.oxid.it/cain.html

BlueMagic

Riverside, IL

2 edits

I know, I already tried Cain and Abel however the quality was very poor, long delays in the stream and then it caught up and continued to record. Stepvoice seems to work with everything automatically, I just tried it with Skype and it worked perfectly. You also do not need to install WinPcap. Another program that I tried require you to install their own driver which is not approved by Microsoft. The program worked poorly with echos etc. I just tried Stepvoice with ITunes and again it recorded perfectly.

So far, Stepvoice seems to work with everything without a problem. Still testing.

I just noticed that they have the following,

The built-in scheduler (SHR) can automatically start and stop recording at any time selected.

The voice activation system (VAS) allows you to skip silent passages while recording.

It seems like a pretty cool program so far.

AJICQ499087

join:2001-12-01
Louisville, KY
reply to laserjobs

Cain & Able is free and does work on my computers with magicJack.
--
low cost and fast speed is what customers want in broadband

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to BlueMagic

said by BlueMagic:

I have found a pretty cool program that seems to work. The program's name is stepvoice and here is the link. »stepvoice.com/index.shtml
Great little application .... Thanks for posting the link.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

ecappabianca

@mindspring.com
reply to BlueMagic

I am currently using MagicJack on OSX. The solution to recording calls via Mac is to download a program called 'Audacity'. once installed choose Preferences ->and change the device to: 'Unknown USB Audio Deivce', and each time you call someone and want to record them, you let the program run/record. Then save and export as .wav file. It works quite well.

eric

BlueMagic

Riverside, IL
reply to BlueMagic

I have just discovered that StepVoice Recorder continues to work after 30 days albeit with a nag screen. I really like this little program and will probably send in my $14.95 because I am an honest person and I want to support the developer of this neat little program.

booyah50

join:2008-08-09
La Habra, CA
reply to ecappabianca

said by ecappabianca :

I am currently using MagicJack on OSX. The solution to recording calls via Mac is to download a program called 'Audacity'. once installed choose Preferences ->and change the device to: 'Unknown USB Audio Deivce', and each time you call someone and want to record them, you let the program run/record. Then save and export as .wav file. It works quite well.
This sorta works with Vista too. But Audacity only records my end of the conversation. Certainly though, this is a problem with the stereo mix settings in Windows rather than a problem with Audacity.

dipabcd

join:2006-09-28
Hartford, CT
reply to BlueMagic

Do this work if we connect the magicjack with phone instrument also or just when we make call using our computer only?

dipabcd

join:2006-09-28
Hartford, CT

I am askinking the question for stepvoice software

stevech0

join:2006-09-17
San Diego, CA

Does US law still require notification that the call is being recorded?

I had a scamming telemarketer calling 3 times a day every day for 3 weeks, from India. I started stating "This call is being recorded" and they insisted that I not do so. I said "it is my right to do so" and they usually just hung up, but auto-dialed back soon.

They have done a once-a-year campaign on my home twice now. Same outfit. Same scam: Try to get you to give credit card # as if they were a collection agency, which they aren't. They fake an 800 number from a shop in Bangalore. Police here won't pursue it even after two formal reports and my attempts to get the D.A. to force the P.D. to do their job. AT&T (Aholes they are) says "we won't and can't block that 800 number).

Mercifully, it's gone for now.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

Depends, it varies from state to state.

alllle

join:2005-07-12
Cedar Park, TX
reply to BlueMagic

I've tried Audacity and it worked great.
However, you'll have to switch to the headset mode and use a microphone to conduct the conversation.

I've tried many recording applications and none of them worked, including Audacity, if you are using the real phone to make the call instead of doing it via the PC headset/microphone.