uniqs
boaterbob
Premium Member
join:2005-08-01
Moncks Corner, SC

boaterbob

Premium Member

Norton's antivirus removal software

I have Norton's Anti-Virus 2004 on my WinXP Pro SP2 (due for the annual subscription payment) and I want to remove it and use Avast instead.

I know it's difficult to uninstall any Norton application, so I thought rather than using Window's 'Add/Remove' from the Control Panel, I'd try Norton's own tool.

"Use the Norton Removal Tool to remove a failed installation or a damaged Norton product.
The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products and Norton 360 from your computer"

Has anyone actually used this free Norton tool. My goal is to get rid of Norton w/o creating any problems with my OS or other apps.

Thanks

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely

Premium Member

I used the Norton Removal Tool w/o incident recently on two laptops that came with pre-installed Norton trialware. First I uninstalled in typical fashion from the Control Panel using the Vista equivalent of Add/Remove, then I rebooted and ran the Removal Tool. Rebooted again and installed Avast. No worries!

BKayrac
Premium Member
join:2001-09-29

BKayrac to boaterbob

Premium Member

to boaterbob
it works well, use add/remove first though

and then run the tool

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

Sparrow to boaterbob

Premium Member

to boaterbob
Believe me, although the tool works quite well, once you start looking through the registry and the drive where the initial installation was placed, you will still find leftovers.

Yes, use the tool since it cuts down on the manual removal time, but also check for leftovers after a reboot.

amysheehan
MVM
join:1999-12-21
Chula Vista, CA

1 recommendation

amysheehan to boaterbob

MVM

to boaterbob
said by boaterbob:

I have Norton's Anti-Virus 2004 on my WinXP Pro SP2 (due for the annual subscription payment) and I want to remove it and use Avast instead.

I know it's difficult to uninstall any Norton application, so I thought rather than using Window's 'Add/Remove' from the Control Panel, I'd try Norton's own tool.

"Use the Norton Removal Tool to remove a failed installation or a damaged Norton product.
The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products and Norton 360 from your computer"

Has anyone actually used this free Norton tool. My goal is to get rid of Norton w/o creating any problems with my OS or other apps.

Thanks
Start with the removal tool for your product and follow the instructions for removal:
»service1.symantec.com/SU ··· en&ct=us

Your best bet is to use the tools for removal and it wouldn't hurt to run it more than once just to be sure.

-amy-
boaterbob
Premium Member
Moncks Corner, SC

boaterbob

Premium Member

Typical Norton - I try to download their uninstall tool and I get no farther than -

"Download the Norton Removal Tool for your version of Windows.
* I use Windows Vista/XP/2000. DOWNLOAD "

which leads me to this new screen -

"Index of »ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/ ··· ool.exe/

Up to higher level directory
Name Size Last Modified"

and then, that's it - no download??

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

1 recommendation

Sparrow

Premium Member

Always keep a spare...
boaterbob
Premium Member
Moncks Corner, SC

2 recommendations

boaterbob

Premium Member

Thanks Crystal Sky - better service than Norton

Robert

amysheehan
MVM
Chula Vista, CA

amysheehan to boaterbob

MVM

to boaterbob
said by boaterbob:

Typical Norton - I try to download their uninstall tool and I get no farther than -

"Download the Norton Removal Tool for your version of Windows.
* I use Windows Vista/XP/2000. DOWNLOAD "

which leads me to this new screen -

"Index of »ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/ ··· ool.exe/

Up to higher level directory
Name Size Last Modified"

and then, that's it - no download??
I had no problem getting the download AFTER I turned off pop-up blocking in IE7.

boaterbob
Premium Member
Moncks Corner, SC

1 recommendation

boaterbob

Premium Member

I use Firefox 3.0.1. I suppose I could open (shudder)IE7. Anyway, I had disabled Norton and Firefox did not tell me it was blocking the Norton site - it tells me if it blocks pop-ups or re-directions. Maybe I'll try again later - just to see what happens when I disable everything (don't you just hate those sites that only work in IE

Thanks to all

Robert

amysheehan
MVM
Chula Vista, CA

1 recommendation

amysheehan

MVM

Navigate to »ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/ ··· l_tools/

Download for your product is Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Hope this helps.