thebaron
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Zegema Beach

1 edit

thebaron

Premium Member

Fax Machine Dials 911 on its own?

Tonight I was watching a movie with my girlfriend when I heard a loud knock at the door.

As soon as I unlatched the door, it flung open and 2 cops barged in and said someone dialed 911 from a landline at my house. I assured them that neither of us did but they insisted to check the house.

After giving my house a whole once over they asked to check my phones. I brought them to the phone upstairs and one of them picked it up and listened to the dial tone and hung up. He then asked if I had a fax machine. I said I did and took him to it. He picked it up and heard static and told me that sometimes fax machines dial 911 on their own when there is a little static on the line. They asked me to unplug it and then they reported the call as "false" and left...

Anyone heard of this before?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 edit

HiVolt

Premium Member

You better hope this is not the start of something like this...

»ARRGH! False 911 Calls

BTW, do you have DSL for internet? Is your fax on a separate line? If you have DSL on the fax line, do you have your FAX machine filtered? If so, try putting two filters on it.

Snickerdo3
Premium Member
join:2001-02-28
Niagara Falls, ON

Snickerdo3

Premium Member

Haha I was just going to post the link to that thread.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Snickerdo3:

LOL he's gonna flip once he reads all of it.

Snickerdo3
Premium Member
Niagara Falls, ON

Snickerdo3

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Yup

thebaron
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Zegema Beach

thebaron to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by Snickerdo3:

Ohhhh boy...

I hope this was just a one timer, cause I don't have anywhere near the patience DKS has. I'd probably just move.
thebaron

thebaron to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

You better hope this is not the start of something like this...

»ARRGH! False 911 Calls

BTW, do you have DSL for internet? Is your fax on a separate line? If you have DSL on the fax line, do you have your FAX machine filtered? If so, try putting two filters on it.
I have DSL for internet. I have my regular landline, then my fax on a different line. The internet is on the fax line. Fax line is filtered. I'll try another filter.
thebaron

thebaron

Premium Member

Actually, now that I think of it, I had a water leak in the basement right near the fax phone jack this week (Air conditioner water pump quit)

It most likely has something to do with it!!

Snickerdo3
Premium Member
Niagara Falls, ON

Snickerdo3

Premium Member

said by thebaron:

Actually, now that I think of it, I had a water leak in the basement right near the fax phone jack this week (Air conditioner water pump quit)
It most likely has something to do with it!!
If you read the DKS thread, you'll see this very situation was mentioned, though it didn't apply in DKS' case.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to thebaron

to thebaron
Sounds familiar. My suggestion is that you co-operate 100% with the police. They will attempt to blame your fax machine, answering machine, computer and every single piece of equipment connected to your phone line and your cell phone, if you have one. Do not succumb. Call the police admin line and politely speak to the head dispatcher and tell them what you will be doing.

Disconnect everything from the Bell line (yes, everything!) for 24 hours. Then reconnect each piece and wait 24 hours. If it doesn't return, and you get no more false 911 calls, the problem has been fixed.

If the problem continues, DO NOT CALL 611. You will be talking to India. Call Executive Action directly and refer to my case in Owen Sound.

Good luck!