Florida Dan
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Boynton Beach, FL

2 recommendations

Florida Dan

Premium Member

With DNS Flaw Now Public, Attack Code Imminent

"One day after a security company accidentally posted details of a serious flaw in the Internet's Domain Name System (DNS), hackers are saying that software that exploits this flaw is sure to pop up soon." (More...).

Its a Secret
Please speak into the microphone
Premium Member
join:2008-02-23
Da wet coast

1 recommendation

Its a Secret

Premium Member

Nice. The idiot from Matasano should be shown the door. And this from a security company?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to Florida Dan

Premium Member

to Florida Dan
Bring it on. My network's ready.

Cabal
Premium Member
join:2007-01-21

Cabal to Florida Dan

Premium Member

to Florida Dan
»DNS Critical Flaw Explained?
Expand your moderator at work

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Florida Dan

Premium Member

to Florida Dan

Re: With DNS Flaw Now Public, Attack Code Imminent

OpenDNS, and just about every other DNS has been patched already. This was more a media event then anything else.

Its a Secret
Please speak into the microphone
Premium Member
join:2008-02-23
Da wet coast

Its a Secret

Premium Member

Perhaps they all were playing catchup, but good to see the fix is in place!
pepperxn
join:2001-02-21

pepperxn to Florida Dan

to Florida Dan
To be safe from this flaw: does one need to patch the local systems in addition to using a DNS server that's safe from this flaw.

amysheehan
MVM
join:1999-12-21
Chula Vista, CA

amysheehan to JohnInSJ

MVM

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

OpenDNS, and just about every other DNS has been patched already. This was more a media event then anything else.
SoCal Road Runner's DNS servers have NOT [as of this writing] been secured.

Hopefully all this RR slowdown stuff happening won't keep them from allocating the resources to resolve this issue which IMO should be Job 1.

-amy-

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR
·Comcast XFINITY
Asus GT-AX6000
Asus RT-AC66U B1

1 recommendation

jbob to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

According to this thread: »Change your DNS away from AT&T NOW!!!
AT&T DNS servers are not patched either. If true that's pretty lame and dangerous.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

1 recommendation

Steve to Florida Dan

to Florida Dan
You guys are all idiots - I've been invulnerable to this for a long time.

I just use a really really really really big hosts file
SUMware2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21

3 edits

2 recommendations

SUMware2 to Florida Dan

Premium Member

to Florida Dan

DNS Randomness Tests

DNS Resolver(s) Tested:
208.69.32.14 (bld4.ash.opendns.com) appears to have GREAT source port randomness and GREAT transaction ID randomness.

The essence of the problem is that DNS resolvers don't always use enough randomness in their transaction IDs and query source ports. Increasing the amount of randomness increases the difficulty of a successful poisoning attack.

This page exists to help you learn if your ISP's nameservers are vulnerable to this type of attack. If you click on the button below, we will test the randomness of your ISP DNS resolver.

For test visit: »www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/se ··· sentropy

The test takes a few seconds to complete. When its done you'll see a page where the transaction ID and source port randomness will be rated either GREAT, GOOD, or POOR. If you see a POOR rating, we recommend that contact your ISP and ask if they have plans to upgrade their nameserver software before August 7th.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

Thanks for the link.

OOL seems to have just patched, the link indicated they had done it right, versus dox which indicated possible NAT. Looks as if they use a larger sample.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator to SUMware2

Premium Member

to SUMware2

Re: DNS Randomness Tests

Nice one..the other test never did work on my machine.
However, using my primary DNS server from the ISP I get:

Source Port Randomness: POOR (one port used but it's a high range)
Transaction ID Randomness: GREAT (25 diff. ID's used)

So, is that a problem?
I use openDNS as my secondary as a failsafe FWIW.

-CaFF
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to SUMware2

Premium Member

to SUMware2
I did this test twice on my 98se computer and got this:

1. 68.237.161.37 appears to have POOR source port randomness and GREAT transaction ID randomness.
2. 68.237.161.38 appears to have POOR source port randomness and GREAT transaction ID randomness.

The first time I did this test the results were the same but the number was 68.237.161.36.

I also did the test on our XP computer which has the MS Patch, and AOL running - AOL came up great for both tests, but my dsl numbers (similar to above) had the same poor source port and great randomness.

I have Verizon DSL with the Westell 2200 modem (that has a NAT Firewall router) and I use a switch to connect both pcs.

When Dan Kaminsky first had his test both computers tested "your dns server appears safe". After he changed the test, both computers show "your NAT is interfering".

I don't understand all of this. How do I fix this (or does Verizon have to fix this)? Also, I don't know how to switch to an open DNS.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

To switch to opendns follow the instructions in Section 4 of the link below (instructions quoted) for windows 98 and use the following IP addresses for DNS servers, (ignore the Domain instructions and the gateway instructions.)

»Satellite Forum FAQ »[DW4000] I'm sharing my connection on a LAN. Do I need to do more?
said by faq :

Windows 98:

Start => Settings => Control Panel => click on the Network icon or right-click on the Network Neighborhood icon and choose 'Properties'. Either way gets you into the Network configuration screens.
From the list of installed clients, protocols and services, locate TCP/IP bound to the NIC It will look something like this: TCP/IP -> your network card. The arrow indicates the protocol is bound to that adapter. Highlight that and then click the Properties button. This gets you into the TCP/IP configuration screens. Click the DNS Configuration tab. Put as dot in the 'Enable DNS' radio button.
Then add the DNS servers,

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Florida Dan

Premium Member

to Florida Dan

said by Florida Dan:

"One day after a security company accidentally posted details of a serious flaw in the Internet's Domain Name System (DNS), hackers are saying that software that exploits this flaw is sure to pop up soon." (More...).
I would question whether that release was accidental. Seems more like it was done on purpose because they were annoyed that they weren't given all the info and part of the "in-crowd" that Kaminsky gave the info to.
FFH5

1 edit

FFH5 to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ

Good test to check your ISPs DNS servers

said by JohnInSJ:

If you want to check whether your ISPs DNS servers are updated, you can run this test.

»entropy.dns-oarc.net/test/

It tests for BOTH port randomness and Transaction ID randomness.

I use Opendns and they showed GREAT on both tests. But my ISPs DNS(Comcast) that I use as the 3rd DNS entry in my list showed as POOR on the port randomness test.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

jbob

Premium Member

FYI The OARC test may not be as accurate on Comcast. See this thread:
»[DNS] Comcast and the DNS Server flaw issue

Even Dan Kaminsky has chimed in.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by jbob:

Thanks for update. I did try the doxpara test too. But the doxpara test only tests the 1st DNS server it finds in the DNS list for the computer. The entropy test tests all the entries in the computers DNS list. So that made it easier to use.

In any case, the opendns servers test as well as or better than Comcasts and I'll stick with them.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to jbob

MVM

to jbob
said by jbob:

It seems both tests can give different results at times, especially if the servers source ports are not completely random. Have gotten results from Poor to Great with the new test. In looking at the ports used, it looks as if they tend to be in one range and then change to another range for my ISP.

Florida Dan
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Boynton Beach, FL

Florida Dan

Premium Member

Click for full size
Thank you OpenDNS!
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra to TheWiseGuy

Premium Member

to TheWiseGuy

Re: DNS Randomness Tests

Hi WiseGuy,
Thank you for your instructions. However, I ran into a problem: after I inserted the two dns numbers and clicked "okay" I got this message "In order to use DNS you must specify a host name for your computer." I didn't know what to put in, so I canceled it.

I'm also wondering what I have to do for the XP computer.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

1 edit

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by Libra:

... after I inserted the two dns numbers and clicked "okay" I got this message "In order to use DNS you must specify a host name for your computer."
If that is your Win98 machine, then the host name will be fine with anything you enter. For the XP box see the screen shot.

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

Sparrow

Premium Member

SipSizzurp See Profile,

It's much easier to use the OpenDNS page. It guides a client through with implicit and easy directions. One can open an account, download the updater and you are on your way.

There is also a forum for support questions.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

said by Sparrow:

...open an account, download the updater...
SUMware2
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21

SUMware2 to Sparrow

Premium Member

to Sparrow
said by Sparrow:

One can open an account
OpenDNS states that creating an account is purely optional and completely unnecessary to use their service.
Libra
Premium Member
USA

Libra to SipSizzurp

Premium Member

to SipSizzurp
Thank you, SipSizurp, for posting the pictures for me. In another thread I found out I could put those openDNS numbers into my Westell modem, so I did that instead and it covered both computer.

Sincerely, Libra

Imagine Reason

Anon

OpenDNS is a private company and not open source as its name may imply. They also hijack location bar searches. Just so everyone knows.

FFH5
Premium Member
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by Imagine Reason :

OpenDNS is a private company and not open source as its name may imply. They also hijack location bar searches. Just so everyone knows.
That can be easily turned off:
»Re: rogers inserting advertisements into my browser - WTF?