uniqs

tomkb
Premium Member
join:2000-11-15
Tampa, FL

tomkb

Premium Member

4 byte AS numbers from ARIN

Received this yesterday. Does anyone have a list of cisco routers or IOS that will support this?
ARIN reminds the community that on 1 January 2009, all new Autonomous System Numbers (ASNs) issued will be four byte by default, unless otherwise requested. Following a globally coordinated policy, ARIN and all the Regional Internet Registries began allocating four-byte ASNs by request in January 2007; January 2009 marks the transition to allocating four-byte ASNs by default (see »www.arin.net/policy/nrpm ··· ml#five1).

Network operators may find themselves with a new four-byte ASN that upstream providers, peer networks, and customers cannot recognize. Without timely support from vendors, network operators risk having routers and network administration systems that will not accept the expanded four-byte number format. As such, ARIN urges operators to verify their vendors' routers will support four-byte ASNs.

To help vendors understand how to provide four-byte ASN support and to help network operators find products that support four-byte ASNs, APNIC has set up a special website at »icons.apnic.net.

Please contact hostmaster@arin.net if you have any questions concerning the ASN policy and four-byte ASNs.

Regards,
Leslie Nobile
Director, Registration Services
American Registry for Internet Numbers

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

sporkme

MVM

No idea, but you are likely not alone in wanting more info. Yesterday that apnic site was slashdotted for the better part of the afternoon.
meta
join:2004-12-27

1 edit

meta to tomkb

to tomkb
My understanding was that sofar it was only on the IOS XR (the new operating system thats for the 12000 series GSRs primarily)

Edit:

Support in IOS-XR since 3.4 release last year
Plan for IOS:
12.2SRD – EFT early next year, release mid 2008
For 7600 (and 7200)
12.5T Early 2008
For 18/28/3800, 7200, 7300
12.2SB-Rel6 End 2008
For 7200,7300,10000
12.2SX End 2008
For 6500
Page 19

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

said by meta:

My understanding was that sofar it was only on the IOS XR (the new operating system thats for the 12000 series GSRs primarily)
FYI the new ASR platform that is targeted to replace the 7200 series, essentially, is running IOS-XR.

EdW
@comcast.net

EdW

Anon

said by rolande:

said by meta:

FYI the new ASR platform that is targeted to replace the 7200 series, essentially, is running IOS-XR.
No it's not. It runs IOS-XE. Different code base.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

said by EdW :

No it's not. It runs IOS-XE. Different code base.
I just sat through the product walk-through with their product engineers on Thursday and they stated right in the slide presentation that the code was IOS-XR. Either they are wrong or they are representing IOS-XE as the same thing as IOS-XR. I can tell you for certain that their slide deck specifically stated the platform ran on IOS-XR code.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

2 edits

Da Geek Kid

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod ··· ure.html

Cisco has IOS XE, XR, NX-OS as well as the usual 12.4 etc..

IOS XE
IOS XR
IOS NX-OS

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

sporkme to tomkb

MVM

to tomkb
My only question at this point is how will a router not expecing a 4-byte AS number react when it sees one? Ignore it? Log a funny error? Reload?

I don't pull full routes - I take default from one transit provider and customer routes from another (and prefer the former for outbound).

EdW
@comcast.net

EdW to rolande

Anon

to rolande
said by rolande:

I just sat through the product walk-through with their product engineers on Thursday and they stated right in the slide presentation that the code was IOS-XR. Either they are wrong or they are representing IOS-XE as the same thing as IOS-XR. I can tell you for certain that their slide deck specifically stated the platform ran on IOS-XR code.
You might be misremembering (I'm honestly not trying to argue). IOS-XE is based on the 12.2SR and 12.4 code bases. It runs virtualized on top of Linux. IOS-XR is based on a real-time kernel and is designed to scale to multi-chassis. Check out the documentation. They're similar, of course, in their IOS look and feel but there are some pretty big differences as well.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

Yep. I looked at it. That is really odd that the Cisco slide deck made mention of IOS-XR when discussing the ASR platform. I am wondering if they were discussing that the platform runs code with features derived from IOS-XR. Sounds like alot of the same capabilities and features of IOS-XR. I would guess that IOS-XE will support the new AS field length since one of their targets is edge Internet aggregation.

packetpusher
Premium Member
join:2005-03-22
Oakville, ON

1 recommendation

packetpusher to sporkme

Premium Member

to sporkme
Routers that don't have support for 4-byte ASNs will see all new 4-byte ASNs as AS23456. For a complete discussion on this please refer to:

»www.apnic.net/community/ ··· asns.ppt

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

I attended some ASR training a couple of months back. They said that the ASRs run a Linux kernel, and that IOS is effectively an application running ontop of that (hmmm, soon to be experiencing kernel panics on Ciscos? At least they dont run on windows so we can at least say our routers dont BSoD

I am unsure whether that is XR or XE. I cant recall whether or what they mentioned.