uniqs
share rss forum feed

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-11
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:6

Turning the Westtell 327W into a transparent bridge?

I want to use the Westell 327W as a completely transparent bridge and let my DGL-4300 handle everything. I don't want to use any of the 327W's router or wireless functions.

Trouble is, I can't find any obvious settings to do this. Do I really have to double-NAT this somehow?

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
If you have the newer firmware »How to setup Bridge Mode with New Verizon Westel GUI ??

If you have the older firmware »192.168.1.1/ethwancfg.htm

VZbadapple

join:2008-07-24
London, ON
reply to funchords
I can give you exact steps if you tell me the model number. You will have to turn off wireless as well as turn it into bridge to acheive the results you are looking for. This was my favorite step to go through with customers cause it was very fulfilling to see it work.

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA
D90-327W16-06

VZbadapple

London, ON
For the D90-192.168.1.1 in the address bar, if it asks you to login enter admin/password(default) or admin/admin or whatever you changed the login for the modem to. When logged in click My Network, on the left click Network Connections link, click the first button(with pencil) under Edit, under the VCs area click on that first button under Edit, beside Protocol select Bride and then beside Bridge mode select Bridge and lcick Apply. Now the modem is in bridge and will allow another device to take over. To turn off Wireless just click the Wireless Settings button along the top and then select to turn it off and click Apply at the bottom ot make this happen. Let me know if this works!:)

Bytebender
Premium
join:2008-02-12
Canada

1 recommendation

Click for full size
You seem to have forgotten one thing - the DHCP server needs to be turned off as well. From the Advanced Icon on the top - find IP Address Distribution to get to this screen and select OFF in the upper drop down and apply. Then the 327 will be in full bridge mode.
--
reboot, reset, reconfigure, then recycle.

VZbadapple

London, ON
The previous step can be done but is not needed since once you attach the DGL-4300 the Pivate LAN of the router will take over. I have not had to do this step for any one that is attaching any type of router including the DGL-4300.

Bytebender
Premium
Canada

1 recommendation

If the DHCP server is not turned off in the the Westell, the Westell will not be in transparent Bridge mode, and the connection will still be going through two routers.
To properly Bridge the Westell's, (2200, 6100, 6100F, 327W and 7500), the protocol needs to be bridge, the bridge mode needs to be bridge, and the DHCP server needs to be off. (which will also disable wireless access).
--

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to VZbadapple
Okay, then do I use PPPoE on the DGL-4300 WAN settings? And if so, what login information -- or is the bridge handling this and I leave the WAN settings as DHCP Ethernet?

JohnA
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

You're in a DHCP connection area, no PPPoE.

jmeer99

join:2008-04-09
York, PA
reply to funchords
You also may have to clone the 327W MAC address on your router.

Bytebender
Premium
Canada
reply to funchords
With the Westell bridged, it shouldn't be doing much of anything but bridging the DSL signal to an ethernet port.
Your router in your case should use DHCP, or automatic, to pull a WAN IP directly from the ISP,
But because of the way your ISP handles DHCP connections, it is necessary to either:
release your WAN IP from the Westell before bridging it,
or call and have tech support release it for you,
or clone the MAC of the Westell into the router,
or just shut everything off for a few hours,
before the router will be able to get the WAN IP. (it's bound to the MAC of the Westell, usually with a two hour lease time)
The best way usually is to clone the MAC of the Westell into your router.
--

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to funchords
Thanks everyone for your help here. Things have been a little hairy for me, but I'll try what you've posted and report back. I just didn't want too much time to pass before I said, Thanks!!

-Robb

funchords
Hello
Premium,MVM
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to funchords
Okay, I called in to get it working ... like Bytebender tried to warn me, I needed to clear my DHCP reservation before starting down this road.

I may also have turned off DHCP from the wrong place, I'm not sure on that.

First and foremost, huge applause to telephone tech support "Tom," Agent #Z985525 who was terriffic in every respect. Phone techs often have a bad rep, and often earn them. Tom was the model of how to do it right!

"Tom, I was trying to follow some steps I obtained from DSLReports.com in order to make my modem into a transparent bridge, and after several failed attempts I now have it in a state where I cannot get back online in any way whatsoever."

He got me back online within a few minutes, which to me confirmed that all hope wasn't lost but to a non-technical customer is absolutely the most reassuring thing he could have done. Once we were sure that the modem wasn't fried, we successfully bridged it via the DGL-4300.

One thing at my end that might have affected progress -- I turned off the DHCP server from the Advanced Networking page, and Tom had me turn it off from a different panel. (Kinda dumb for the UI to have two different controls that appear to do the same thing. This UI is pretty screwy, Verizon!!)

One thing on VZ's end that definitely blocked progress -- and had I been paying more attention, maybe I could have avoided this. Tom had to manually clear my DHCP reservation from Verizon's system before we could communicate. This is probably what Bytebender was saying above but I managed to overlook it until I was beyond that point.

Also I did not have to clone the IP address.

So much thanks to all of you, you were right on. And thanks to Tom for being one bright phone tech -- I had low expectations and was seriously worried about hearing "bridge transparent -- what's that?" and Tom was a million lightyears ahead of my expectations.

Thanks all!
PS: If someone at VZ can route this to Tom's boss as a kudos, please do.
--
Robb Topolski -= funchords.com =- Hillsboro, Oregon
More fun, more features, Join BroadbandReports.com, it's free...