spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sympaticosucks22

@dsl.bell.ca

re: Bell Sympatico disconnecting on me each day

Not sure anyone else is experiencing this but the past 3 months (May-July2008) My internet keeps disconnecting I have to reset the modem each time sometimes 3 or 4 times per day. I've had sympatico come out to replace the modem and do a line check and seemed to be fine.
Thank god the internet conncetion disconnected while the tech guy was still here and he replaced the modem to a speedsteam 4200. Same problems again.
I have a PC at home with Windows XP as well as 2 wireless laptops and recently got the IPhone which shares the wireless connection sometimes during the day.
I trade stocks during the day and its so frustrating to be in the middle of a trade and get disconnected. I would expect this back in 2000-2001 but 2008 and I get crappier service connection than I've ever had.
Sympatico's list of potential problems
1) modem == so we swapped it out. Still same problem
2) take the filter off the modem line which they originally put there anyway. This actually sped up the connection a bit. (One of the only things that worked) but did not solve the disconnect problem.
3) line has a short in it. Line checked no problem
4) They told me its my SMC router. Checked router with SMC and its fine. They even tried to upsell me to their router for $79 saying SMC did not work well with sympatico. I told them problem has only been past 3 months.

I'm at the final straw with sympatico but hate to switch over to Cable since have so many clients that use my current sympatico email addresses but I'm sick of the connection disconnect problems and having to reset my modem each time. When i'm in the middle of trading a stock during the day and get disconnected it costs me money to reboot and restart the modem each damn time.

I'm thinking to have cheapest package and keep the email addresses but go with Cogego for the Cable interet.
Also I just learned from the tech guy that I'm only getting max of 2-3MG/sec download speed vs 12MG which I'm paying for. From what I gathered from this guy this is an ongoing problem with other sympatico clients in the area and he understood if I switched over to Cable. Also he tried to upsell me on Total Internet before he left saying to try that as a last resort before i switch to cable. (Supposed to be some connection where no phone line is used but I connect through the plug in the wall and don't share a connection with anyone). I pay $55 per month for unlimited high-speed Internet but defininately not getting that. Since I trade stocks I download alot of charts and data feeds during the day and just sucks the past 3months what i've gone through with Sympatico disconnects.

We should expect more from such a big company. Its a shame that only thing Bell or sympatico have on their mind when I call them is to upsell me on some other service each time I call them rather then fixing my constant connection problem.

Anyone else experiencing this internet disconnect each day with no help or solution by sympatico?

Thanks if anyone responds. Soon to be ex-sympatico customer.

DS256
Premium
join:2003-10-25
Markham, ON

For the low cost of a Router these days, it may be worthwhile swapping out the SMC to see if it is the problem. You didn't indicate how you determined the problem was on Bell's side and not yours. Tiger Direct »www.tigerdirect.ca has good details plus some stores.

As for email, a suggestion is to get your own domain name and external email provider. Not that expensive. I set this up for my family when my kids started going off to college to avoid frequent 'change of address'. My domain and email is managed through eHosting.ca »www.ehosting.ca. Very pleased with the service. I preferred a Canadian company because of the US Patriot Act that allows easier access to computer systems by law enforcement.

NCRGuy

join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Sympaticosucks22

I've had a similar problem with my connection getting dropped. When I power cycle the modem, it usually reconnects. It seems to be somehow related to the weather, as any time it's rainy out that's when it gets dropped, and sometimes quite frequently (I've had to power cycle 6 times in an hour).

If it's nice out, don't usually have any problems.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe

Over the years this is not the first time someone has come to these forums with a problem like yours. See the FAQ for a particular modem trouble related for firmware...the SS5200 would stop working momentarily until it was rebooted. There was a firmware upgrade that fixed the problem: »Speedstream 5200 Updated Firmware HERE
Other than that you have a definite trouble and should post in the Sympatdirect forum to see if they can help.
»Bell Canada Direct
--
My Canada includes Quebec.

Bellundo

@teksavvy.com

Good thing you don't trade futures mere seconds can mean millions either way.

CliqueofOne

join:2003-08-22
Brantford, ON

"..the SS5200 would stop working momentarily until it was rebooted. There was a firmware upgrade that fixed the problem: »Speedstream 5200 Updated Firmware HERE"

I also had an ongoing problem for at least 4 years with my 5200 disconnecting whenever it rained. The amount didn't matter. The firmware is unfortunately an exe file that fortunately doesn't work on my Macs. With no appearant support for Mac users I decided to fire up my old Dell laptop with XP (Which I only use when I download the latest software fix), and download the exe file for the 5200 modem. Since then I've had no disconnections no matter how much rain falls. If I had strictly Macs, I'd be out of luck for the 5200 firmware update. Not what I'd call decent support.

Glen1
These Are The Good Ol' Days.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
GTA Canada
kudos:8

Actually if you called tech support they would have sent you a replacement modem with the firmware already installed.
--
My Canada includes Quebec.

CliqueofOne

Brantford, ON

At first I called tech support numerous times about losing connection whenever it rained. Explained to them the problem and that once I rebooted the modem I'd have my connection back most of the times. All the calls were to no avail. They said my line was okay. It's my problem. Never did they suggest a new modem. And I never saw anywhere on the Sympatico site anything about a replacement modem with the upgraded firmware for Mac users.

For that matter I have have posted at least twice on this forum about the ongoing problem about losing the connection whenever it rained and never did anyone ever suggest that I ask for a new modem. I even stated that I would put the modem in the freezer to cool it down.

drjp81

join:2006-01-09
canada

Watch it dood.

Making an electronic piece of equipment cool very fast can cause creeping ( phenomenon described as involuntary movement of electronic parts due to repeated or drastic contraction and expansion of their metallic subcomponents due to cooling and heating)

And possibly condensation: a cold object condesating moisture in the air on contact turning it into water droplets.

Either of these could seriously damage (if they haven't already ) your modem.
--
Cheers!--
I reserve the right to use any private message
in these boards if you behave like a horse a$$ in it.

CliqueofOne

Brantford, ON

Thanks for your concern but it's just a 30 plus year old beer fridge and the freezer isn't the coldest. I never left it in there that long. The modem now works okay. After spending 37 years on CN's Signal & Communications Department I never ran into a case where rapid temperature changes ever did any harm and/or lasting problems to the electronics. In fact we had equipment that was exposed to extreme and frequent temperature fluctuations in the middle of winter and never had a problem. The same goes for the analog and digital cameras that I've had over the years.

drjp81

join:2006-01-09
canada

I remeber this as an issue discussed in an overclocker's forum, where the cpu's would "creep" out of their sockets. I imagine that anything soldered wouldn't budge.

Oh well just eliminating the possibilities, ever so slim.

marcbase

join:2008-07-31
j3y-8v5

Do not listen to whatever tech support tells you, the error is on their side but they just Do not want to admit it. my advice, change your service, go with videotron.

I have had the same problem for the past year and they just wont fix it so yesterday i went online to a technician(i have a total performance connection which 7 mbit/s/s) and i asked him because i only had 3.4 if he could fix it, he told that i was too far away from the central and that maximum speed i could ever have was 3.5-4 mbit/s/s. that made me laugh, because he just admitted that they could not offer me what i am paying for. Oh and by the way i am 4.6 km from the centre. so its not that far away, well not far enough to bring me down to half of what i am suppose to get. So got again on the 3 day check thing and i got a call back... first time in 37 attempts :P... the message is as follows: Hi this is a message from bell canada, just to inform you that we brought the maximum speed of your connection down TO STABILIZE THE CONNECTION. i was like omg are you serious.

I thought about it for a sec and i had a great idea. They changed my contract without telling me, hum, so i am gonna tell them that they broke my contract and leave them and go to videotron for a cheaper and better connection

to everyone ever read this post until the end

DO NOT ASSOCIATE YOURSELF WITH BELL, IF BELL IS YOUR INTERNET PROVIDER SWITCH IMMEDIATELY, TEACH THEM A LESSON, OR IF YOU do not WANT TO THEN TELL THEM YOU WANT TO LEAVE AND THEY WILL DO ANYTHING TO KEEP YOU WITH THEM, THEY WILL LOWER THE PRICE OF YOUR FORFEIT OR THREATEN YOU.

Plus if you want to change and they tell you that you have to pay 100 dollars for leaving, its a lie, if you tell them 30 days before you switch they are no charges have a good day

sympaticosucks22

@dsl.bell.ca

Thanks guys for the info and help.

Gave sympatico one last chance, guy was here for most of day to figure out problem.
They found a short on one of their lines leading here.

Boosted my connection to 100Mps but on 2 new laptops only 54 Mps

We tried their modem/router combo and same thing.
All they basically try to do is upsell the crap out of anything they sell. Tried to sell me WireCare for connections into my place. When the problem was the wire short on their end. After trying to tell me how great their router/modem was and how much better then my new "Linksys" (I had replaced it from the SMC the day before).
I told him to try their modem on my system
We did and same problem occured. He was stumped and I wasted another trading day.

He told me that's the best I'd get after promising for sure i'd get 100MPs on all computers. This guy seemed to know less then I did and I don't know much about routers/connections.

He finally told me it was my computer causing the problem.
Unbelievable. Bought 2 new laptops, new modem(sympatico)
new router(linksys), new wires, new jack and still slow speed. Still to see if connection keeps cutting out.

I've tried the computers and laptops at other friends houses and when I go away on trips and I'm trading and have great speed and no disconnect problem like here.
Sympatico can't just seem to find this problem but I suspect it has to do with their connections/lines since past 3 months have also had tons of static on my phone line. (and yes we have filters on the phones).

Guess I'm switching to cable.
Cogeco coming here next week for install.

Thanks for the replies and information guys.

I'll post how well cable has worked out for my connection problems and downloads.