uniqs

netwire
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Dallas, NC

netwire

Premium Member

Passive antenna question

Hello there, this is not related to ham radio directly, but it has to do with antennas and soldering I have a lot of trouble with cell phone signal in my home and would like to build a "passive" antenna. From reading online it looks like I can hook two antennas together and place one outside and one inside - that does not seem to work well. I was wondering if there was some way to modify a WiFi antenna for use with 800mhtz/19000mhtz signal range? If I'm not mistaking though my carrier is 1900mhtz only. Would it be possible to simply make an antenna for this frequency form solid copper wire?

73, KI4GEQ

Mactron
el Camino Real
Premium Member
join:2001-12-16
PRK

Mactron

Premium Member

said by netwire:

Hello there, this is not related to ham radio directly, but it has to do with antennas and soldering I have a lot of trouble with cell phone signal in my home and would like to build a "passive" antenna. From reading online it looks like I can hook two antennas together and place one outside and one inside - that does not seem to work well. I was wondering if there was some way to modify a WiFi antenna for use with 800mhtz/19000mhtz signal range? If I'm not mistaking though my carrier is 1900mhtz only. Would it be possible to simply make an antenna for this frequency form solid copper wire?

73, KI4GEQ
I think your actually asking about Passive Repeaters (PR). PRs have been used in many ways from bouncing a signal off objects to dual antennas in subways, train tunnels, ETC. as you described. Lots of info out there on PRs. Google... »www.google.com/search?hl ··· e+Search

Here's a simple on glass one for automotive use.
»cell-phone-accessories-w ··· NNA.html

A "wire" ie. Monopole may not have the gain to work well.

HTH, 73