Sonic.Net
Premium Member
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA

1 recommendation

DaneJasper to devedander

Premium Member

to devedander

Re: Long time sonic member, negative experience.

The bottom line is that we cannot do business at the promotional rates. It's impossible to run the network and pay the staff who answer the phones at intro costs.

So, the entire industry is doing some really frustrating teaser rate stuff, with future price hikes that affect mostly those who are not paying attention.

We've tried to do what we can within reason to be transparent. For example, if you do have a promotional rate, it's clear on the bill what your non-promotional rate will be. It also shows on every invoice when that promotional discount expires. Finally, a month before it does, we insert text, "NOTICE: Your rate will increase...etc. If you have questions about your bill, contact us..etc".

There's a clear conflict here, and I don't think it's right to try to weasel out of noting it here:

We cannot survive as a business if average revenue per circuit is $25. We can survive if it's $45, so there will always be pressure in the upward direction.

Our goal is to be competitive, but I also note that we are NOT the cheap product. If price IS the only factor, we are probably not the correct ISP for you.

Instead, we try to deliver more, so we can justify and earn the money that we charge. Our support is one example of this (70 second average hold time, no scripts, no bull), but we also try to add value by providing services like our free personal web hosting. (You can have a totally free new domain, with free registration for a year, a pile of mailboxes, and totally free hosting for as long as you stay with us)

I hope this clarifies a little bit. We can't satisfy the desire for the product to be super cheap forever, but my goal is that you feel like you're getting good value overall.

-Dane

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
·SONIC

bobrk

Premium Member

said by DaneJasper:

Our goal is to be competitive, but I also note that we are NOT the cheap product. If price IS the only factor, we are probably not the correct ISP for you.
QFT.
devedander
join:2002-12-15

1 edit

devedander

said by bobrk:

said by DaneJasper:

QFT.
While I know I said $50 is high for 1.5mb, I probably shoudl have just not confused the post with that, as price for service is not the point of my post. Operations is.

Please not, right off the bat I said
quote:
I have always felt like sonic was not like "all those other businesses" just trying to squeeze every last cent out of you and give you the least attention they can. And this has lead to me telling my friends and clients (I do onsite computer service as a personal business) "The extra few bucks is worth it to go with Sonic.net, they are a good company and will treat you right".
The reason I mention it being $$ for $$ at the end of my first post is that if sonic's business practices aren't going to stand above the rest, then it really does come down to what do you get for your money and I can no longer toss in that a quality business is worth a premium.