Search similar:

uniqs

kelfin
@dsl.bell.ca

kelfin

Anon

some one help me with my wireless router plz

ya.. i use bell and my modem is speedstream 5200
last month i brought a laptop and a wireless router( Tp-link's TL-WR340GD) and i connected my modem to the router's wan slot and my computer to one of the four slots for computers as shown on the guide for the router.But it ends up both computer cant go on the internet but the laptop says the wireless connection is connected.
I used 192.168.2.2 for my computer and 192.168.2.1 for default gateway,and every time i reinstall window xp i must put these ip or i cant go on the internet. But only my laptop can go on the router setup page (192.168.1.1)
so i thought i may have to change my ip back to receive ip automatically but every time i do that i cant connect to the internet,what should i do.
o.O
Bell Martin
Mon - Fri 10AM to 6PM Billingual
join:2007-09-14
Ottawa, ON

Bell Martin

hold modem reset for 5sec until lights flash. Modem will have reset to factory defaults. Make sure you are on automatic ip assigning for both pc & laptop. configure router to pppoe & enter user/pass. & that's it.

kelfin
@dsl.bell.ca

kelfin

Anon

i just tried what you said,now both my computers can go on the router setup page and i configures it to ppoe , i used admin as user/password but still both computer cant go on the internet the only way to connect is computer to router slots(not wan) and modem to router slot(not wan)
Bell Martin
Ottawa, ON

Bell Martin

actually for your router pppoe settings you need to user your b1 user id & password not the router login information

kelfin
@dsl.bell.ca

kelfin

Anon

i just tried that,it's still not working my computer cant connect unless i do this

computer to router slot(not wan) and modem to router slot,and then put in the static ip

root9
join:2005-04-08
Kitchener, ON

1 recommendation

root9 to kelfin

to kelfin
Let's take this from scratch and do it step by step [for everyone as well]

Step 1:
- Plug in Modem to power outlet
-plug in "phone cord" between DSL plug on Modem and wall plug
- plug in RJ45 cord [the 1 with 8 wire plug] between Ethernet Modem plug and PC ... wait for up to 2 minutes
- whatever you have plugged into Modem should be ON and green
DO NOT plug in router yet!

- open your Command Prompt found in: Start > Accessories > Command Prompt [black and white window should come up]
- type in: ipconfig /all
- this will give you Connection info
Note: do not set static IPs o your PC or laptop till all these settings work!

you should see:
IP address ........ 192.168.2.10 [or whatever the last part of number is].
Subnet Mask ....... 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway ... 192.168.2.1
Notice these numbers are in 4 parts and keep this in mind for later.
- write these down [even if you have photographic memory]

Step 2:
- Open your browser and type in Default Gateway number into Address box and hit enter key
- now you are in the Bell modem .. or should be, if not try again
- Check to see if "ADSL connection" and "Internet connection" are on ... if not do following:
click setup, under setup type in your B1 in "Username" and password in "password" .. hit "Save settings"
- click on "status" on left side
- "ADSL connection" and "Internet connection" should now be on
- make sure the numbers you wrote down are same as what you see in Modem
- if they are not you are in the wrong place or you have bad modem ... so try it again
- wait for up to 2 minutes

Now try to browse internet .. if it works you are ready for next step. If not go scream at Bell

Step 3: connecting your router
- unplug RJ45 plug from Bell modem and plug it into router in 1 of 4 LAN plugs [leave the plug into your PC as is]
- power up your router
- go back to Command prompt and type in: ipconfig /renew
[this will renew all connections and probably get new IP addresses]
- write them down ... now see if they are different than from Modem [they should be] Your Default Gateway settings can't be same for modem as router. Your 3rd number, in this case .2. can't be same as 3rd number in router

example:
modem default gateway = 192.168.2.1
and router default gateway 192.168.2.1
- this is bad since they try to use the number and router must be changed to other, either 1 or 3 to 253

Step 4:
- Log into router using your browser with just found Default gateway from Command prompt
- enter router using default user and password .. or if you have changed them use those
- find status page and write down settings, default for TL-WR340GD is 192.168.1.1 [so the manual says]
- if by chance it is same as modem then change the third number to some other
example: 192.168.3.1 , 192.168.4.1 etc.
- in TL-WR340GD it's done in Network > LAN > IP address
- save and restart router and PC [this is to make sure settings took and were saved]
- if not repeat

Step 5:
- open Command prompt and check your IP and default gateway
- write it down [this is to check your work if you make any mistakes and where]
- you may notice that your RJ45 and Wifi try to connect at same time ... so unplug RJ45 from PC
- try to login to your router and see status
- if Default Gateway number [in this example 192.168.1.1] in router is same as you wrote it down then we go to next step
- if it's not or you can't login then redo router steps
- if still not then return router to store

Step 6:
- Plug in 8 wire RJ45 cable between modem [Ethernet plug] and router [WAN plug]
- This should give you some extra numbers in WAN part of status in router [reload router page or logout and log back in]
- wait for up to 2 minutes
- try to browse internet
- if you can then you are almost done
- if you can't then go to command prompt and type in: ipconfig /renew
[now try again] - if still not then reboot your PC, - if still not then kick the damn thing router, pour pop over it by mistake, fry it in nuke oven [by mistake] and return it to store ... as hunk of defective junk
[phew that felt good]

Step 7:
- if it worked go to WAN settings page in router and choose WAN connection type as: PPPoE
- type in your B1 in Username box
- put in your password in password box
- now VERY IMPORTANT , under "WAN connection Mode" choose "Connect on demand" and in box under it "Max Idle Time" type in 0 [that's number zero]
- hit Save button .. but DO NOT get out of router if it lets you [if it reboots anyway hope you get back on and into settings]
- wait for up to 2 min. and see if you can browse Internet in new tab or new window
- if not then you will need to connect to router with RJ45 cable to do rest of settings ... go into advanced PPPoE settings and check on " Use IP address Specified by ISP and hit Save
wait, wait some more ... up to 5 minutes

Step 8:
Here we will setup Wifi part of router to match Wifi card in your PC or laptop, and security [if wanted]
- get back into router
- visit Wireless > Wireless settings
- you can leave SSID as is or name your own
- under Region choose Canada or your country where you are at
- channel is good at default setting
- Mode: choose the highest possible speed, for a start 54Mbps (802.11g)

- skip to Enable Security
Note: if you don't know leave them blank for a start and read your manuals
- as a rule choose the highest security your Wifi card in your PC or laptop will support [this requires you read your manual for your Wifi card in your PC or laptop]
- it's better to have an experienced person or Networker do this
Note: always make sure he/she gives you the exact settings on paper and proves them to you that they are so
Note 2: always change router password and username after service person leaves, and always write it down and store in safe place

Hopefully this works for you and everyone

kelfin
@dsl.bell.ca

kelfin

Anon

i did up to step 6 but i cant browse the internet
Bell Martin
Ottawa, ON

Bell Martin

Kelfin... if you would like for me to call you... can you just register, click on my name & you can either PM you # or send a email or create a post in the Direct forum & I'll see what I can do to get you up & running

anontek
@dsl.bell.ca

anontek

Anon

ridiculous martin! how can you relay any information to user during call if you can't even explain it in posts?
tud explained it clearly, listen to him!!!! maybe he missed step 1 keep reset pressed on router for ten seconds before you even start, some routers need to do this 5 times
and martin go back to school

mordin
42 inches of 1080p
Premium Member
join:2005-05-28
Moncton, NB

mordin to root9

Premium Member

to root9
said by root9:

Let's take this from scratch and do it step by step
You tell him to set up PPPoE in the modem & then tell him to set up PPPoE in the router but don't tell him to reset the modem so he doesn't have both the router & the modem trying to make & control the PPPoE connection. ??and you charge people how much per hour??

uofwit
@dsl.bell.ca

uofwit

Anon

And you have done such a great job helping. Oooooh yes, by not posting any help at all? Doing a search for your comments throughout dslr we find mostly defamation of character against other users. Way ta go mordin
Doing a search of other high posters we find most are supportive of Bell IT even if they are lying. Taking a closer look dslr is infested with attacks by registered users against anyone with a different opinion or point of view.
As a study of mob rule, gang rape, bullying and social trends and how these affect online users, we have chosen dslr as one of our models for study. Not the only one, one of many.
In preliminary stats of Sympatico forum DKS and Deadpool top the list of most likely to initiate derogatory comments without merit ending in users leaving for other avenues for help. In any case, this sort of bullying and gang rule has become not just prevalent but as a rule at dslr.

EC4
join:2006-10-20
York, ON

2 edits

EC4 to anontek

to anontek
said by anontek :

ridiculous martin! how can you relay any information to user during call if you can't even explain it in posts?
tud explained it clearly, listen to him!!!! maybe he missed step 1 keep reset pressed on router for ten seconds before you even start, some routers need to do this 5 times
and martin go back to school

It's much easier to troubleshoot through the phone as he can ask questions and see what the problem is. I know everyone hates bell right now and so do I but the techs from the direct forum have helped a lot of people, so at least have some respect as they're just trying to help.

mordin
42 inches of 1080p
Premium Member
Moncton, NB

mordin to uofwit

Premium Member

to uofwit
said by uofwit :

Doing a search for your comments throughout dslr we find mostly defamation of character against other users.
Show me where I've defamed anyone in a post to this board!

All I did in this thread is post where his so-called step-by-step solution was flawed. You tell me how is a router suppose to do a PPPoE connection through a modem that is already doing a PPPoE connection. Meanwhile the modem's PPPoE connection is can't work because it's blocked by the router.

uoftit
@dsl.bell.ca

uoftit

Anon

It is the manner and the intent of your post. Basically you don't correct bell techies while you virtually attack users who has provided one of the most comprehensive posts on dslr for a mistake that anyone can make.
Bell techie has not provided any valuable information to solve user problem yet you side with him. This is called bullying. When you look at your own history you will see this type of answer to certain posts. You are not the only one. This practice is obvious on first look at dslr. Who made bell support kings and rest of users peasants? You? You sure let corporations get away with it.

Same intent and standards apply to rest of dslr. As we see in our studies it is prevalent in most corporations as well. Why not be useful to your fellow man and be at peace with him? This is the intent you and all on dslr should be practicing.

drjp81
join:2006-01-09
canada

drjp81 to mordin

to mordin
Let it go dude, he's just a troll. 90% of studies use statistics and 90% of statistics are meaningless and 90% of people quoting the use of studies to prove a point are pointless.

Especially when they don't cite said stats and source, methodology and institution.

Let him have his difference of opinion and have his beliefs that having a router and modem handling a pppoe connection is "ok".

mordin
42 inches of 1080p
Premium Member
Moncton, NB

mordin to uoftit

Premium Member

to uoftit
Funny tudmax hasn't responded and instead we get a new 'anon' poster attacking me for pointing our an error. He's the 1 that's been posting about what a great tech he is and how much he charges per hour.

I didn't originally offer help as I know how hard setting up a router can be to someone who hasn't done it before or isn't very tech savvy - no disrespect to kelfin. If I was at his house I could get it working (as long as all equipment is working correctly) without using most of what tudmax posted.

drjp81 - 75% of all statistics are made up

drjp81
canada

drjp81

said by mordin:

drjp81 - 75% of all statistics are made up
Make that 76%, now.

root9
Kitchener, ON

1 edit

root9 to kelfin

to kelfin
My mistake keflin that I missed the most important step > of resetting router to original settings. uofwit is correct.

In reality your best bet is to get good techie to check and or set it up for you, as mordin says.
root9

root9 to EC4

to EC4
Ok , here we go
keflin has probably called crappy india support to no avail or knows they are crap and didn't call, got on here with a separate box just to post his/her problem, didn't receive adequate support from bell staff, then he/she is supposed to get hidden away in direct forum so others can't see resolution as well, then call and spend time on phone yet?

Why not just tell keflin to hang around for a month if not a year for support?
root9

root9 to mordin

to mordin
You might like to know the reasons I haven't responded is that I've been busy in few meetings about the state of Canadian Internet, state on corporate harassment of Independent ISP's and users, how corporate trolls have infiltrated bloggs and other forums, what to do about Bell and Rogers and what to do about US corporations taking over Canadian freedoms.

You would have love to have been there to see one of the highlights of a corporate troll getting his ass kicked and thrown out on the street. He was found out when he tried to use his cell phone and after some derogatory comments as well.

You see, no cellphones, cameras, video or other recording devices allowed for protection of participants

Groups like this are springing up all over Canada, actually all over the world. WTO better start packing up and shipping out. Off this earth if possible.

As for your comments :
I agree with uofwit and uoftit, if you don't attack others you won't get attacked. That simple.
Bell Martin
Ottawa, ON

Bell Martin to kelfin

to kelfin
Kelfin,

After all these comments about who's right & who's wrong, my offer for help still stands. This is outside the normal scope of technical support provided by Sympatico support agents, but I'm still willing to provide you a helping hand. I will call you directly, all I need is for you to provide me a # to reach you. Please don't post your phone # in the regular forum. This is why I asked for you to post in the Direct Forum. For more information you may read the Posting Rules to find out more about what we are & what we do.

If not you may send me a PM (personal message) or use the email option.

Again you will need to create & register a free account before anything is done.

Regards,
Martin

mordin
42 inches of 1080p
Premium Member
Moncton, NB

mordin to root9

Premium Member

to root9
said by root9:

uofwit is correct.
Funny I must have missed uofwit's post correcting your error.
said by root9:

didn't receive adequate support from bell staff, then he/she is supposed to get hidden away in direct forum so others can't see resolution as well, then call and spend time on phone yet?
If keflin called or didn't all Bell is a moot point since he's looking for support for 3rd party hardware which isn't supported. Even with it being unsupported Bell Martin has offered to call and help keflin get it working, all he needs is as phone number.

As to getting a good techie to check and or set it up - it might be as easy as asking friends or neighbours someone should know enough or have a kid that does. There's a big difference trying to get something working through forum posts or phone calls and being right there to see what's going on.

root9
Kitchener, ON

root9

You're just not gonna to let this go, eh?

Last time I heard a period is the end of a sentence and an end of an idea. at least it has been since the start of English, correct? Therefore it seems you missed my agreement with uofwit, correct?
A comma still seems to be a continuation of a sentence, last time I asked.

kelfin didn't go straight to Bell hidden forum [as he has the choice to do], he asked in open forum for his own reasons, did he not?

Anything else u wana bug me about?

mordin
42 inches of 1080p
Premium Member
Moncton, NB

mordin

Premium Member

said by root9:

Anything else u wana bug me about?
Ya, what are you trying to saying in your last post? Period? Comma? What is this, English class?

root9
Kitchener, ON

root9

I think the post you are referring to is:
"My mistake keflin that I missed the most important step > of resetting router to original settings. uofwit is correct."

Between the words settings and uofwit is a period. Usually this signifies the end of a sentence ... and the end of an idea or thought. This means "uofwit is correct." is a another separate point about what he said in his post. Get it?

mordin
42 inches of 1080p
Premium Member
Moncton, NB

mordin

Premium Member

said by root9:

Between the words settings and uofwit is a period. Usually this signifies the end of a sentence ... and the end of an idea or thought. This means "uofwit is correct." is a another separate point about what he said in his post.
Yes I see where the confusion comes from now. In continuing the English lesson - an idea or thought can also be expressed in a group of sentences called a paragraph. By putting "uofwit is correct." right after "My mistake keflin that I missed the most important step > of resetting router to original settings.", with no other reference to go on, makes it look like the 2 sentences are a paragraph and the ideas or thoughts are connected.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to root9

Mod

to root9
keflin has perfect freedom to return to the regular sympatico forum to tell us all the nature of the fix. He is not restricted from doing so.

The separate forum (direct) exists to enable the techs and the individuals to exchangeprivate information such as addresses, phone nummbers, b1 numbers etc. The direct forum is owned and operated by DSLReports, not Bell.
kelfin
join:2008-07-31
Scarborough, ON

kelfin to kelfin

to kelfin
THX TudMAX and every body i just tried now and both of my computers can go on the internet the same time

drjp81
canada

drjp81

Code 18.