Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Erez

@netvision.net.il

3CRWE554G72 - windows remote desktop & special applications

Hi,
I have the 3CRWE554G72 gateway,
i want to use the windows remote desktop utility, and i want to configure the router to open the 3389 port.
i want to use the Special Applications option and not the virtual server so i can use the remote desktop utility also in my other pc.
I configured the Trigger port to 3389 and also the incoming ports to 3389 but i can't connect to the remote desktop.
i did a test using the virtual server option in the router and it worked, but again, i want to use the special applications option.

Many thanks,
Erez.

TEEK

join:2000-05-09
Milford, MA

Erez,

Each PC has to send a packet to the router on port 3389 in order to open the port for incoming use. Unfortunately, I suspect that the first packet received at the router is from the WAN side, and it doesn't know where to send the packet.

I think you may not be able to do it this way. Virtual server may be your only choice.

Remember, a PC sending a packet on this port Opens it from the wan side to the PC that sent the initial packet. The operation needs to initiate from your LAN, not your WAN, when using trigger ports.

TEEK

Erez

@netvision.net.il

Thank you, i understand now.

i have another question:
If the pc that i am connecting from is behind a router, the port on that router need to be open?

TEEK

join:2000-05-09
Milford, MA

No. If you're accessing any outgoing ports, most applications return on the same port, and know where to forward incoming packets.

This is part of the reason your trigger port setup isn't working, since the incoming port isn't usually the same as the outgoing trigger port, or it would already work without configuration.

-TEEK