spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Adamd2
join:2008-03-30
San Diego, CA

Adamd2

Samsung LCD TV No Picture but has Sound

Hello all. I have had my Samsung LCD TV for just over a year. (of course, just enough time for the warranty to expire) I go to turn it on this morning and the picture turns on and then the screen goes black. The sound still comes out of the TV perfectly fine. I cannot see any of the menus or anything when I change the source either. I've tried unplugging the TV for a while, plugging it into different outlets and even using a different power cord. None of these have seemed to help. Am I looking at a costly repair? I've read things about back lights going out, power supplies being bad but I have no idea. Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_

Premium Member

have you tryed another video input

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
join:2004-02-27
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1 to Adamd2

Premium Member

to Adamd2
said by Anonymous_:

have you tryed another video input
answer:
said by Adamd2:

the picture turns on and then the screen goes black. The sound still comes out of the TV perfectly fine. I cannot see any of the menus or anything when I change the source either.
It seems most likely that the problem is either the backlight itself or the power supply for it.

However, I presume that there's no "glow" around the edges when the picture is black? If there is an indication of the backlight working ("glow") then the problem could be anywhere in the video circuitry that drives the panel and that would be pretty much beyond the scope of anything we could help with here.
Adamd2
San Diego, CA

1 edit

Adamd2

Thank you for the responses. I left it unplugged all night so I am going to go check out what happens. I'm sure nothing will change but I will look more closely at the screen and see if there is anything I can see. It's probably something major and will cost a lot. Yay technology. Thanks again!

*EDIT*
So I plugged it in just now after leaving it unplugged for almost 24 hours and it seems to be working. We'll see if the screen goes off again at some point. I had unplugged it yesterday for about an hour or so as I had read online about recycling the computer chip inside but that didn't help. I don't know why 24 hours would help or what changed but thus far it is working. *fingers crossed*

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

Strange, weird and bizarre but, if it works, who's arguing! I'll remotely support your "fingers crossed".

d_squared
@rr.com

d_squared to Adamd2

Anon

to Adamd2
I have been having the same issue with my Samsung LN-T4665F. The problem first surfaced about 3 weeks ago. Same symptoms regardless of source. I even fed the TV cable directly from the wall to the TV as Samsung's customer service rep insisted my problem was not with the TV but either with the cable box or my HDMI cable. I disconnected the power overnight and the TV began working again - until today. Again, no picture, but sound.

Customer Service so far has been no help. My TV's 12 month warranty just expired, but it was supposed to be extended by 3 months because I registered it online. Customer service asked me to fax the bill-of-sale for proof of purchase so they could give me the 3-month extended warranty. But strangely, they can't ever seem to locate my fax. I've sent it on three different occasions now. I'm beginnng to feel they're giving me the run-around.

If you registered your TV online, you too may be entitled to a three-month extension.

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit

Kringle1 to Adamd2

Premium Member

to Adamd2
This issue seems to be rather prevalent with the Samsungs. A quick Google for Samsung LN-T4665F "no picture" turned up a number of them. These are some of the more interesting ones:
»www.fixya.com/support/t7 ··· _picture
»www.fixya.com/support/t6 ··· lnt4665f
»www.fixya.com/support/t3 ··· owing_up
»answers.yahoo.com/questi ··· 5AAQvACG
»www.answerbag.com/q_view/851985
»www.wr-shopping.com/shop ··· dtv.html (check out the comments here)

Hopefully you'll have better news than this for us.

EDIT: For your "why 24 hours" question, one of the links above says that 4 hours unplugged is what's required to reset the electronics in these sets.
Adamd2
San Diego, CA

Adamd2

I am not liking the sound of this at all. So far TV worked all day but reading all of the comments I am beginning to really worry. I actually filed a claim with my credit card company and am going to give it a week before canceling my claim. I can extend the warranty through my credit card company as well, which I might do. The model of my TV is LNT-4661F.

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

From what I read (note that I don't own one) you should probably get all the warranty that you can while it's working. If it did it once there is likely a latent fault waiting to happen again.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Adamd2
San Diego, CA

Adamd2

Thanks for all your help Kringle. I just extended my warranty for 2 years. So now what happens? The TV will work perfectly for 2 years and I will have spent another $120 on the thing, haha. Anyhow, I'll keep updated for all of us unlucky enough to have expensive shoddy LCD TV's!

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

Glad to hear that you're covered. From what I read, $120 is only about 10% of the repair to the LCD screen. Anyway, all the best with that!

JRamon
@copart.com

JRamon to Adamd2

Anon

to Adamd2
I had the same thig happen to me after only 2 years on my 40" Samsung LCD. Turns out the the LCD power Supply went out and it's backordered for 4 weeks...gees! Cost to replace (depending on stock) is about $400.00 about $150 for the part and the rest labor

d_squared
@rr.com

d_squared to Adamd2

Anon

to Adamd2
Update to my previous post:
After several more phone calls and faxes to customer service, it appears Samsung will extend the manufacturer's warranty for 3 months after all. A tech will be coming out to repair the TV.

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

Good news!
Adamd2
San Diego, CA

Adamd2

Excellent. That's the only good thing I've heard about them so far! My TV has been working since Sunday of this week (knock on wood). Sad thing is I'm almost afraid to turn it on now.

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

said by Adamd2:

Sad thing is I'm almost afraid to turn it on now.
Turn it on LOTS! You want it to break before your two years are up!!!

You know, for a fact, that it will inevitably cease to function just before "the big game" or whatever it is that you just have to see...

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData to Adamd2

Premium Member

to Adamd2
you will find that the inverter is integrated with the panel and is not a part replaceable by samsung.
you might find one on the 'net however, more than likely it will be from a used set that had physical damage to the panel, we dont use parts from other sets and we are not authorized to do that.
certain, not all LNT/LNS models have problems with the inverters.
if you are having a problem with your set and you call up samsung and "be nice" with the rep on the phone about it (not scream "i wanna new tv !"), they will give you an extra 90 days labor/parts to cover the repair, but this will only work if you are indeed experiencing a problem, as the authorized field engineers do not like travelling perhaps 50-100 miles to your house to service something "just because" (we get this alot from the folks at avsforum.com).
we are not authorized to replace a component that proves not faulty, especially panels.
it also helps to fax over or scan and email your bill of sale (receipt) and any photos/video of the problem as well.
authorized field engineers can obtain any part for any samsung product within 3 days or less unless that part is on backorder which is very rare.
we get priority for parts before the distributors that sell them to non authorized service centers do.
if you PM me the model, serial and version of your unit found on the sticker on the right front side of the unit, i can pull up any information regarding the set (except the customer information).
Adamd2
San Diego, CA

Adamd2

TV is still working 2 weeks later...Hmmm...

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

Dang! or Great! I'm not sure which...

d_squared
@rr.com

d_squared to Adamd2

Anon

to Adamd2
Update:
Repair tech came out recently and replaced the display panel.

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

Good news! That's one pricey repair to get done under warranty.

TV 4 the blind to Adamd2

Anon

to Adamd2
Samsung 46" TV strikes out.... Again..... "dark screen".. great sound. But the cabinet is beautiful and shiney. Just 1 1/2 years old. Hauled it back to Best Buy today, and they showed me new TV's.??!! Samsung gave me a phone # that sounded like they were in a war zone or vehicle collision test lab... Cable TV says it ain't them. BestBuy says it's just too bad... so sorry.... Sad part is that I bought 1 for all my kids, so they are doomed too. and I can't find anyone in San Diego to help me.. and I don't blog... so this is a crisis..

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

Sorry to hear that.

Have you tried a hard reset (unplug the set from the wall power for MORE THAN 4 hours)? It sometimes works.

Did you call Samsung at 1-800-726-7864 and select Digital TVs? Really, a set like this must be better quality than to last only 18 months!!!

Good luck.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

EliteData to TV 4 the blind

Premium Member

to TV 4 the blind
there are no authorized service centers in san diego ?

TV 4 the blind

Anon

We unplugged it for a bit, and tried. TV unplugged since yesterday, so I will try it. Re; SD service- Samsung web site is not a friendly site to find Service Center... My zip is 92040, and model # is LN-S4692D. Samsung 800# gave me a local number but no return call, and the person who answered wasn't sure what to tell me except that someone would call me (no word yet).. Sounded like a third-party subcontractor.

TV 4 the Blind

Anon

No luck... still dark screen... Samsung can't even give me a service center or repair person. Advised me to "just look for a TV repair shop somewhere"... ? I'm on my own.

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

Kringle1

Premium Member

I'm sorry to tell you this but... read here: »www.ripoffreport.com/rep ··· 1312.htm It sounds like you ran into Samsung's standard operating procedure and it sucks.

I'm now counselling everyone I know that's looking to buy a TV to stay away from Samsung. The sets look nice and seem good at the outset but spending between $2,000 and $4,000 for less than 2 years of viewing pleasure is complete robbery!!!

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

1 edit

EliteData

Premium Member

said by Kringle1:

I'm sorry to tell you this but... read here: »www.ripoffreport.com/rep ··· 1312.htm It sounds like you ran into Samsung's standard operating procedure and it sucks.

I'm now counselling everyone I know that's looking to buy a TV to stay away from Samsung. The sets look nice and seem good at the outset but spending between $2,000 and $4,000 for less than 2 years of viewing pleasure is complete robbery!!!
this is in canada, not the usa.
completely different.
there isnt a single company in the world that does not have a complaint lodged against them.
things are not manufactured the way they used to be.
blame the economy, consumers dont want to spend alot of money on products.
manufacturers make things cheap enough that consumers can afford, but that the manufacturers can still make a profit on, but the products suffer quality and that is the ultimate reason why the products do not last.
take the televisions from 15-25 years ago, remember how long they used to last before they eventually failed ?
besides, electronics back in those days were made in japan.
now just about everything is made in china or korea.
the products made in korea are actually better than those made in china.

Kringle1
Dr.D
Premium Member
Pierrefonds, QC

1 edit

Kringle1

Premium Member

said by EliteData:

this is in canada, not the usa.
completely different.
That's only one of the myriad links to complaints I've found (and it was handy). A simple Google search will turn up hundreds of American issues as well with the same lack of caring from Samsung corporate.
said by EliteData:

consumers dont want to spend alot of money on products.
As far as I can see, spending between $2,000 and $4,000 for a freakin' TV IS spending a lot of money (I'd say an excessive amount but that's just me) and it had better last more than 14-18 months!

Note that I know what your day job is and you seem to be very good at it and seem to really care about your clients. I have no issue with you, just the quality of certain products (I love my Samsung phones for example) and the apparent lack of corporate caring.

EDIT: This would, of course, bother me less if I could find at least a couple of instances where Samsung "did the right thing" but, so far, I've come up empty.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
Philippines

1 recommendation

EliteData

Premium Member

i know.
im not defending the poor customer service that can be sometimes encountered when calling samsung.
i hear about it all the time.
i also hear about the poor authorized service centers performing work on the sets as well as a customer having no authorized service center within range (most common).
the point i was making is that not everyone experiences a problem with their set or with customer service and/or getting their set serviced.
from my experience, the worst set you can buy is a philips.
nearly everything is becoming the way of disposable.